Brexited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brexited

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
...and they're the poor schmucks that have to live longer with the consequences and will have to keep paying for it long after all the old duffers have died away.

We recently received a presentation at work which began by mentioning that women live six years longer than men on average (apparently cause for a chuckle). This was cited as a reason why women should be provided with better workplace conditions. Not sure if anyone heard my teeth grinding.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
More data is coming in. 75% of under 25 year olds voted stay.

It's just like the 60's, man. Those days were really far out, man. What a blast! Then they banned Owsley and made us cut our hair and work for a living. Why did they have to do it, man, why? Damn those old fogeys for bein' right!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigersnake said:
This is real time sample surveys of what happened, not what might happen. Also the predictions that remain would win were based on an expected last minute stay vote, people undecided who were expected to vote no change, that didn't happen. The poll results actually had exit in front.

And margins for error become insignificant when it's 75/25. The under 44s not wanting brexit issue will come home to roost eventually.

More immediately significant is the real potential for the UK to dwindle to Wales and England. Queen must be right chuffed with Boris right now.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
antman said:
Even better if we devolved further to small autonomous farming and bartering communities of less than ten people.

Correct. We need one world power to tell the unwashed and unlearned what to do.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Harry said:
A victory for democracy. Good thing is it not?

PWC reckons 100000 jobs to go from England and that's in financial services alone. But at least a world government dictatorship was averted eh Harry?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Harry said:
A victory for democracy. Good thing is it not?

No idea. It appears that of the significant bloc who voted exit due to fears over immigration has 2 sub-blocs. One bloc didn't really know what they were voting for ie didn't understand or consider potential financial impacts, and one bloc knew exactly what they were voting for, and are willing to cop financial impacts as long as immigration is stemmed.

Who knows what will happen long term. England might become a island powerhouse, or it might become irrelevant, it might stay the same. And a lot of English people may not care which one they become.

I know one thing, there are a lot of UK politicians and powerbrokers running around like chooks with their heads cut off. There'd be a fair few people happy with that.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This concept that only the Leave had no idea what they were really voting for is sour grapes in my opinion. I reckon there were as many Remain voters that equally had no idea of what their vote meant.

There had been very public debate for quite sometime.

This is Democracy. Sometimes you don't get what you want.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Baloo said:
This concept that only the Leave had no idea what they were really voting for is sour grapes in my opinion. I reckon there were as many Remain voters that equally had no idea of what their vote meant.

Its true that a significant bloc didn't really understand the structural implications of what they were voting for, but they voted that way in part because those they don't like wanted to stay, which to me is a legitimate reason to vote the way they did. Also true many voting stay wouldn't have had a full grasp, but that's the thing, usually with elections people who haven't learnt a lot about it would vote with the status quo rather than leap into the unknown.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Baloo said:

Don't reckon many casual voters knew. People in business maybe, but thought Remain would win.

The Leave campaign famously used the phrase "we are sick of experts".

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
antman said:
Don't reckon many casual voters knew.

My point is that your statement works for both sides, not just the victorious Leavers

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Baloo said:
My point is that your statement works for both sides, not just the victorious Leavers

Absolutely. The decision is made, all that matters is what happens next.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
antman said:
PWC reckons 100000 jobs to go from England and that's in financial services alone. But at least a world government dictatorship was averted eh Harry?

Scaremongering