Brexited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brexited

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Apparently the Welsh have just realised they got significant EU funding so will be going cap in hand to Westminster

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
antman said:

Apparently the Welsh have just realised they got significant EU funding so will be going cap in hand to Westminster

same with Cornwall, they voted out, now they are saying 'but we'll still get our funding won't we?' They got 60 million quid a year EU subsidies, the exit campaign promised them they wouldn't lose anything.

This whole thing is a complete schemozzle. As you say Ant, Boris looks lost. 'What, the PM has to resign now?'. And on the stay side heaps of people who didn't bother to vote but would've voted stay are now saying they want another count because if they knew they would lose they would have voted. The phrase 'didn't think it through comes to mind'. Dumb piled on dumb.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
antman said:

I'm a pom living in Melbourne now and was shattered yesterday. Felt like everything I've known since I was born (born in 1982 already under EU membership) will come crashing down. Very deflating feeling.

The Welsh was probably the most baffling decision that I had seen. I was expecting the vote to be close but thought that the smart votes would win out, with the city of London and the Thames Valley, the other major regional financial centres and Wales / Scotland bringing it home. It was baffling seeing Wales vote leave when you know they receive a fair whack from EU coffers in handouts.

I kind of get the views that the people are frustrated with a lot of the bureaucracy created from Brussels but I think a lot of people that voted out didn't really know what they were voting out to, and also bought any argument that the leave campaign stated. Someone had mentioned the 350m GBP given to the EU each week, this was debunked well into the campaign and a fair whack before the vote, but the leave campaign still continued to use it as the people they were looking for wouldn't read that this was *smile*.

I think the Leave voters mentally was summed up when they were interviewing people in Barnsley (working class city south of Sheffield in the North of England).

So why are you voting to leave asked the journalist. "To keep the Muslims out" was the response. The journalist checked back in disbelief and the man repeated it. Rightttttttttttttttttttttttttt

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
And on the stay side heaps of people who didn't bother to vote but would've voted stay are now saying they want another count because if they knew they would lose they would have voted.

Absolutely comical. If I don't vote next week and Labor gets in, I'm demanding a second poll.

tigersnake said:
More data is coming in. 75% of under 25 year olds voted stay.

Hence Labor's push to lower the voting age here. Get the brainwashed hot off the production line.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Absolutely comical. If I don't vote next week and Labor gets in, I'm demanding a second poll.
As read somewhere yesterday: "democracy is the cornerstone of civilisation. Until I don't like the result. Then it's just idiots getting their way."

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Hence Labor's push to lower the voting age here. Get the brainwashed hot off the production line.

Yep. Comical.

And also why the coalition don't want to lower it, they do well on the life was simpler in the olden days vote

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
The "chattering classes" don't understand how a temporary marriage of the ultra conservatives and the working class have voted to defeat their dream.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
mrposhman said:
<snip>

I think the Leave voters mentally was summed up when they were interviewing people in Barnsley (working class city south of Sheffield in the North of England).

So why are you voting to leave asked the journalist. "To keep the Muslims out" was the response. The journalist checked back in disbelief and the man repeated it. Rightttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The other large reason I have heard quote lots can be summed up best by the South Park gang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toL1tXrLA1c

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
poppa x said:
The "chattering classes" don't understand how a temporary marriage of the ultra conservatives and the working class have voted to defeat their dream.

Not really new. There's always been the protestant 'know your place' sector of the working class. If it wasn't, Labor would walk-in every election.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
mrposhman said:
I'm a pom living in Melbourne now and was shattered yesterday. Felt like everything I've known since I was born (born in 1982 already under EU membership) will come crashing down. Very deflating feeling.

The Welsh was probably the most baffling decision that I had seen. I was expecting the vote to be close but thought that the smart votes would win out, with the city of London and the Thames Valley, the other major regional financial centres and Wales / Scotland bringing it home. It was baffling seeing Wales vote leave when you know they receive a fair whack from EU coffers in handouts.

I kind of get the views that the people are frustrated with a lot of the bureaucracy created from Brussels but I think a lot of people that voted out didn't really know what they were voting out to, and also bought any argument that the leave campaign stated. Someone had mentioned the 350m GBP given to the EU each week, this was debunked well into the campaign and a fair whack before the vote, but the leave campaign still continued to use it as the people they were looking for wouldn't read that this was *smile*.

I feel your pain Poshman.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
poppa x said:

I think they do understand - a power struggle between two Eton toffs and a whole pack of lies fooled the working poor. And it will be temporary.

The only thing that will save the Tories at the next election is that Corbyn is even less inspiring than Bill Shorten.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigertim said:
As read somewhere yesterday: "democracy is the cornerstone of civilisation. Until I don't like the result. Then it's just idiots getting their way."

Very true :)

And especially in this case Timbo

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The Swiss don't just make holes in their cheese. Looks like the Brits and other countries have finally noticed the one in the EU after 60 years.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
tigersnake said:

And how exactly did they come to know this? Did they have to indicate their age on the voting forms?

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
tigersnake said:

...and they're the poor schmucks that have to live longer with the consequences and will have to keep paying for it long after all the old duffers have died away.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
poppa x said:
That'll be the same mobs who predicted the REMAIN vote to win.
And failed to predict the Conservative landslide at the election a year ago.

This is real time sample surveys of what happened, not what might happen. Also the predictions that remain would win were based on an expected last minute stay vote, people undecided who were expected to vote no change, that didn't happen. The poll results actually had exit in front.