Bruce McAvaney | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bruce McAvaney

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Athletics, the Gee Gees, and Footy he did it all equally well with passion that must be said.

He did drop off the past few years but he has had plenty of challenges with his health.

His barracking for the Cats though in the past few finals against us certainly boiled my Pisss however.

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Jack s tap over 3 Cats to Dusty to run into an open goal after Short had dodged 2 Cats and after Tigers had won the ball from a Lynch behind..
Was seriously a fabulous performance but got little recognition.
It was at a crucial stage and Jack was simply sublime.
Yes... Sadly when you watch and listen to Bruce's commentary, the fact that he's sort of searching for something to say and just gives it the ..... "they're coming the tigers" ....really spoilt what was such a fantastic bit of play.
I remember seeing Jack interviewed on Fox after the game and he was pretty happy with himself about it!

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Has bruce retired?

Thanks for the memories bruce.

One of the greats IMO. We shared a love of footy and horses.

Everyone declines

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yep this is my concern. Almost bet they go with Darcy for Friday nights now with BT.
Why can’t we have Jason Bennett. The guy is great.
Don't think BT likes calling with Bennett...
Apparently BTs wife sits at home and logs who get's the most airtime and the Bennett fella cut BTs lunch a couple of times calling together and let's just say..... picture that dummy spit to the umpire back in his playing days.... really sooked it up!

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He became like Priscilla the Queen of the Desert by the end. Losing his chops when anyone would kick a goal against us and apart from Dusty, all circumspect and lower volume when we’d kick one. So obvious.

Good riddance from broadcasting.

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
Each to their own but Bruce calling the footy annoyed the hell out of me. Every second sentence was a rhetorical question.

True story: I has always assumed Bruce was either gay or bi. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all and not that its anyones business. Anyhoo, I was once at a dinner with a former mistress of Bruce's who insisted he was very much into women and very good at it. So there you go.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I love the D-Generation and The Late Show. I clearly remember pissing myself laughing at that clip when it first came out nearly 30 years ago and I’m still pissing myself laughing at it.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Well past his best, but his replacement will be worse. Mirrors the situation at the HS with Robbo as CFW; there is no statesmanlike presence in footy media now. No, Whateley ain't it.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Each to their own but Bruce calling the footy annoyed the hell out of me. Every second sentence was a rhetorical question.

True story: I has always assumed Bruce was either gay or bi. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all and not that its anyones business. Anyhoo, I was once at a dinner with a former mistress of Bruce's who insisted he was very much into women and very good at it. So there you go.

I think his choice isn't men or women. Its women or Cyril.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A wise decision from Bruce, he was in decline, but has been a great commentator.
I wonder whether his underwhelming call of Dusty's 4th goal in the GF had anything to do with his decision.

Well played Bruce, and good luck, I'll remember you for this call of Dusty.

Last edited:

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
A wise decision from Bruce, he was in decline, but has been a great commentator.
I wonder whether his underwhelming call of Dusty's 4 goal in the GF had anything to do with his decision.

Well played Bruce, and good luck, I'll remember you for this call of Dusty.

Defies physics, I would have said.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Should have given up the gig 5 years ago.

Creepy Brownlow Bruce!

Wetting his metaphoricals every time certain players went near the ball.

His rhetorical questions.

His "all important first goal of the 1/2/3/4 quarter"

His statements of fact with no evidence to back them up - "You feel ...."

Bullshitting his opinions rather than calling the play.

Was diagnosed with Leukemia a few years ago. Maybe the *smile* thing has said "enough is enough".

I wish him well in his retirement , but I won't miss his commentary.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users