Bruce McAvaney | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bruce McAvaney

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
At least BT sounded like he unbias.
McAvaney was devastated we got back into the game.
1 more goal and it could be over.
There was still 2 qtrs to go.
I think you'll fine BT actually was the one who said we'd find it hard pegging back the cats lead with the short qtrs.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Each to their own but Bruce calling the footy annoyed the hell out of me. Every second sentence was a rhetorical question.

True story: I has always assumed Bruce was either gay or bi. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all and not that its anyones business. Anyhoo, I was once at a dinner with a former mistress of Bruce's who insisted he was very much into women and very good at it. So there you go.
What do you call a relationship with a horse:peepwall

Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
A wise decision from Bruce, he was in decline, but has been a great commentator.
I wonder whether his underwhelming call of Dusty's 4 goal in the GF had anything to do with his decision.

Well played Bruce, and good luck, I'll remember you for this call of Dusty.

*smile* call.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I think you'll fine BT actually was the one who said we'd find it hard pegging back the cats lead with the short qtrs.
Listen to him after hawkins kicked his only goal for the game.
He was about to blow in his jocks judas and novak were about to be premiership players.
The same excitement disapate's the closer we get and when we got 3 goals up he was flat as a tack.
His call of Dustys goal was a disgrace.
He used a Barry Cable comparison.
Instead highlighting it was the best in a GF since the Collingwood's Manassa's goal.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Even after the goal, Luke Hodge had to confirm to him Dusty was BOG. He was BOG by the length of the flemington straight.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It's has already been confirmed Bradshaw will call Friday night games alongside BT.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
If they are serious it's Big Nose and Hudson. Not to everyone's taste but pretty clearly a massive step above Bruce and Brayshaw and Bristle.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Channel 7 could do alot right by getting Sandy Roberts back.

That Western Australian bloke that called the 2017 Preliminary final against GWS was the worse call ive ever heard.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It would've been interesting to hear what Cometti would've been like.
Considering he spent his last 15 years bagging us.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Channel 7
Should give the bloke on fox a go.
The bloke that calls the A league also. He is natural and unbias.
Hudson isn't bad.
I don't want Montanga or DaSanto calling games

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
This Barry Cable moment (he mentioned him 4 times) was when Bruce officially 'jumped the shark.' It was an irrelevant and insipid call of a truly incredible goal. I'm surprised Bonecrusher didn't get a mention whilst he was at it.
Sadly in decline Our Waverley Star.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Mute button to remain my preferred option despite Bruce’s exit

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Channel 7 could do alot right by getting Sandy Roberts back.

That Western Australian bloke that called the 2017 Preliminary final against GWS was the worse call ive ever heard.

Geez I'd even go with Peter Landy. The current lot are abominable.

Worst call in ages was actually the regular season game against Port last year. Round 11 on Fox Footy. McGuire and Russell were absolutely beside themselves cheering on Port. We were getting reamed massively by the umpires and because we finally got one go our way , McGuire couldn't stop harping on about us getting a charmed run with the umpires. At that point the free kick count was - as usual - way in their favour. Ended up being 22-11 in their favour, but no Richmond had the rub of the green with the umpires according to McGuire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
His call of the 2020 Grand Final really lacked the required energy & enthusiasm for what was an incredible victory at the crescendo of the most challenging season in the game's history. I actually hate the Ch7 commentary largely for this reason & prefer other callers versions.
It's a very unfortunate way to end.

Reactions: 4 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Listen to him after hawkins kicked his only goal for the game.
He was about to blow in his jocks judas and novak were about to be premiership players.
The same excitement disapate's the closer we get and when we got 3 goals up he was flat as a tack.
His call of Dustys goal was a disgrace.
He used a Barry Cable comparison.
Instead highlighting it was the best in a GF since the Collingwood's Manassa's goal.
I agree.Dustys 4th was one of the best goals in the history of the game let alone in a GF yet he decided to bring Cable into the conversation which at the time it was like dropping a fart in a packed elevator.
Imagine if that was Cyril/Buddy or god forbid Paddy.

Reactions: 1 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Geez I'd even go with Peter Landy. The current lot are abominable.

Worst call in ages was actually the regular season game against Port last year. Round 11 on Fox Footy. McGuire and Russell were absolutely beside themselves cheering on Port. We were getting reamed massively by the umpires and because we finally got one go our way , McGuire couldn't stop harping on about us getting a charmed run with the umpires. At that point the free kick count was - as usual - way in their favour. Ended up being 22-11 in their favour, but no Richmond had the rub of the green with the umpires according to McGuire.

Every dog has his day.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah he was in decline but was one of the best in the past

this is one of my favourites

Oh for the days when the commentators JUST called the bloody footy like they did in that passage of play. Nowadays all they do is waffle on about anything and everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users