Burge to depart at end of season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Burge to depart at end of season

It's nothing more than the age old story of VFL / AFL footy. If you can't beat the best, undermine, poach n dismantle the bastards.
Innes.
Burge.
Truck.
Carrotseller.
Leppa.
Fly.
Chip, chip, chip. Pinch everything good around a club that is doing well. Not to improve yourself, but to drag the best down to the miasma of mediocre.
Even AFL H.O. has this as it's golden rule with all of it's equalisation *smile* n massive tax imposts on anyone who puts a toe outside the boundaries.
Leppa quit. For time off. Started a consulting/public speaking business. Went nowhere.

Filled in at SEN and they realised how good he was. So he stayed on the radio for a year.

Left for Collingwood as soon as he could when Fly got the job.

Leppa was not poached. he left. Another departure.

Reactions: 1 users
So the key to becoming the best is to continually improve and keep moving faster than the others.
Burgo was part of our success, but might be time to bring fresh ideas in. Maybe folks are getting a bit stale.
Not unhappy to see him go, but could very well be annoyed if we don't get a quality replacement.
Yes agree General.

But my point, dont think I am making it well, is that we are not moving faster than the others.
I'd argue we have gone backwards. That's my point.
Reactive, nothing new or fresh. People are leaving, they might be getting poached sure, but he's simply gone to a similar role he had with us.

Everybody's leaving the era is done moving forward to mediocrity where we all feel comfortable :))

• Sad
The off field team has been truly dismantled… natural attrition or other, who knows
More than likely I think Kingsley or mcqualter could split , both were approached last year however remained on contract , likely up this year , could be some openings to get a fresh “lot in

Not sure our injuries have been bad this year. Volume wise it's been low.

It's just that it's been our very best players that have been impacted.

Reactions: 4 users
Deserves way more respect than he’s getting.

Under his watch as head of conditioning we won three premierships and at our best were noted for our ability to absolutely steamroll opposition sides in the second half with power running.

Hawthorn are not in the business of poaching duds.

Thanks Peter.
Well except for Ty Vickery, oh and Carl Peterson oh and Adam Pattison oh and .....

:)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I reckon time for new ideas/personalities and for Burge time for a new place to call home. I'd say he likely got a good offer not just money wise but also the position he fills and we said thanks, we'll miss you, but we are heading for a new era so good luck mate.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure our injuries have been bad this year. Volume wise it's been low.

It's just that it's been our very best players that have been impacted.
Plus the fact our key players are all coming to the end of their careers and are susceptible to soft tissue injuries.

Change is not a bad thing especially at sporting organisations. Fresh faces and new voices is needed to rejuvenate the place. But as long as you can getting of equal or better quality of what you had.

Reactions: 3 users
Not concerned at all
To me the 2 biggest differences between 2017 - 2020 and 2021/22 were the loss of Innes and the loss of McCrae to our reserves
I think our dynasty years were set up by fantastic physical conditioning where i remember we just did not get soft tiissue injuries like everyone else. People said when Innes left well he leaves all of his IP to Burge but I just feel that has not equated You cant just replace people who are brilliant at their job and expert the next guy to be the same. Of course the next guy could be better but i dont think Burge is and the reserve coach replacements were nowhere as good as McRae
It happens to all dynasty teams the poaching so I accept it
But I am happy if Burge goes the club is forced to go out looking for the next Innes - he could be out there!!

Yes agree General.

But my point, dont think I am making it well, is that we are not moving faster than the others.
I'd argue we have gone backwards. That's my point.
Reactive, nothing new or fresh. People are leaving, they might be getting poached sure, but he's simply gone to a similar role he had with us.
So what? Maybe he'll go backwards at the Hawks - we just don't know.
Maybe we'll hire the next Burge, and have another dynasty - we don't know.

I'm OK with losing people, so long as we don't stand still (when everyone eventually passes you) or go backwards.
Has to be progress. It'll be wait and see, as we don't know who his successor is, nor what support staff they will have.

Yep. So what about their Luke Boyd? Any good?

I'm not fussed at all that he's decided to move on. If all we know it could've been a mutual parting of the ways.
Let's face it, our soft tissue injuries have increased 10 fold since he took over from Rob Inness 2 years ago as the main man.

All the best to him but we need fresh blood. When Rob Inness was running the program we would run over teams in the 4th qtr, we were so much fitter. And our injuries weren't so bad., meaning not so many soft tissue-related injuries.

Have a look at Sydney Inness is doing really well there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user