Burge to depart at end of season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Burge to depart at end of season

Yes agree General.

But my point, dont think I am making it well, is that we are not moving faster than the others.
I'd argue we have gone backwards. That's my point.
Reactive, nothing new or fresh. People are leaving, they might be getting poached sure, but he's simply gone to a similar role he had with us.

I do not understand your "we are not moving faster than the others" Who are the others? Which other triple premiership team in the last 10 years are you comparing us to??

This year's team is still capable. We needed a decent run with injuries and we needed some luck but still capable. Position now is not having a good run injury wise and not much luck, but we are still in the running and still capable.

But we are not seeing what the club has been doing 74 games played by 'the kids'. That is an average of 4 kids per game, every game so far this year. We have 12 kids gaining experience while the aging stars are around. Putting aside the question marks on each one individually there is a future vision

We can't see the forest for the trees here but the club is in transition mode while still maintaining a capable side and giving due respect to the aging stars. The aging stars will depart progressively over the next few years and hey presto we will have kids stepping up to keep us capable. Need careful planning at trade and draft to continue this transition.

The sides you are saying are going faster are they really? Or have they gone through 5/7 years of development to 'suddenly' look like they are moving faster? Pretty much what we did 7/9 years prior to 2017 and what Melbourne did and what Carlton have done.

Burge leaving is just someone been in the one job for 10 years and looking for something new. a different challenge. It is not a doomsday move and a fresh face in the fitness area will help lift us as well.

Reactions: 8 users
its an intense business , we've heard the stories of the doom , gloom and out right tension of 2016
and here we wanted everyone sacked twice over Burge survived that
hope he gets a good and sincere farewell from within the Club
I want the Club to be respected across the AFL so when we go looking to trade players , we get a good hearing (bar Ess & Dodo of course )
I want the parents of players in the National Draft to say to their sons "pick Richmond"
and hopefully one day in the future the umpires will see y&b and go ahh good guys and we get the 50/50 frees

its an intense business , we've heard the stories of the doom , gloom and out right tension of 2016
and here we wanted everyone sacked twice over Burge survived that
hope he gets a good and sincere farewell from within the Club
I want the Club to be respected across the AFL so when we go looking to trade players , we get a good hearing (bar Ess & Dodo of course )
I want the parents of players in the National Draft to say to their sons "pick Richmond"
and hopefully one day in the future the umpires will see y&b and go ahh good guys and we get the 50/50 frees

You were going really well until that last line. Now I saying wake up chook you are dreaming

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
He's struggled since Innes left.
Innes was an interesting selection.
Come on as a intern at Coburg and worked his way up. Think he done some work in cricket at the lower level beforehand.
He done an interview a few years back and said he done a some work with power lifters and learnt a lot from it.
He was always big on self education.
Certainly became a smart operator.

Reactions: 1 users
What I think is interesting is how we are bleeding these people to other clubs that are all operating under the same soft cap we have. Or maybe they aren’t?

In Burge’s case 10 years is a long time and his motivation might be more career focussed than money driven.

But it would be a massive concern if we are losing these people for money.

Are we still paying the kebab tax?
No, but compare dimma wage and sam Mitchell wage ,that's why we are hamstrung in the soft cap

Hi Tigerport,

You make some good points. But none of my posts in this thread refer to young players getting game time, injuries, transition of aging players. Your stats make for good reading.

I am talking solely about off-field, not on field - coaches, player development by coaches, the MC and football dept, who's sitting on the bench supporting players, Livingstone, Benny, etc.

Off-field.

Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton, Collingwood, Sydney - have all been pro-active and chased ppl from other clubs. Sydney chased and won the services of Innes. They havent won a flag sure. But they went out and pro-actively chased ppl that they recognised as being able to contribute more to their footy ops.

Carlton got Cook and the flow on effect was to shake up their coaches and whole footy ops, I cannot stand Steve Hocking but in the off-season, his first, he shook up everyone bar the senior coach and if you hear him interviewed, there will be a few more key changes in the offseason still to go. They have focused on player d/ment. And apart from winning the flag, Geelong have been thereabouts for years.

Sam Mitchell poached everyone new for his dept. Incl Adrian Hickmott and making Andy Collins Head of Development.

Fly and Graham Wright won Leppa's services.
Now.. one year out of the game, if Leppa's reason for leaving Richmond was true (and personally I think there was more to it... but even if not and he was truthful about wanting a break), why didnt we re-contact Leppa with a new challenge? A new career path at Richmond.

I wrote that 10 years for Burge is a long time and on the surface, its understandable... but he's simply going to do something similar at Hawthorn. Where he has been before! Where's the 'new' challenge in that? I am not saying him leaving is good or bad. Unlike others, I didnt even comment on whether the last few years injuries are his fault. That's too simplistic.

What I am saying is that I reckon there is more going on behind the scenes at RFC (and its got nothing to do with Dimma's divorce) and at the same time, we dont appear to be 'out in the market' seeking great operators from other clubs.

We only seem to be doing it when they no longer have a job (Teague) or are just starting out (Lonergan). We did it in 2016/2017.
We shook up things with Emma Murray, we had meditation, mindfulness, Ben Crowe, X. Clarke as one of the first indigenous coaches, the Bachar Houli foundation, KGI, etc.

Dont think we have done much since. The fantastic dreamtime ceremony was the players' idea.
Apart from a footy restructure at the end of 2020 where Balmey moved himself to the side to ensure we keep Livingstone and Hartley.

It's the same hubris that IMO is why I think we arent as successful commercially as our club should be. Another post I wrote about re: Benny and lack of commercial sponsors, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The biggest question is, did we see this coming and if so hopefully we have already started head hunting for the best person available. If we got for an untried person, it could set us back a few years as we have no one underneath coming up. This would also depend on the mindset of the club, are we going cheap and trying to get the best untried talent due to soft cap, or are we going for best available no matter the cost?

Sam Mitchel only got the Hawks job because Knuckle head Kennett wanted Clarko out so he diidnt have to pay the $1.?m that he was on.

That's why they have the money to splash around, they got rid of a 4 times Premiership coach to go with a rookie & spend more on other resources.

Will the gamble pay off, who knows but it's a very risky strategy imo.

Sam Mitchel only got the Hawks job because Knuckle head Kennett wanted Clarko out so he diidnt have to pay the $1.?m that he was on.

That's why they have the money to splash around, they got rid of a 4 times Premiership coach to go with a rookie & spend more on other resources.

Yes all these other clubs...Hawks, Bumbers, Wobbles...have all started from a lower base than us...and can afford to spla$h a bit of coin around and make moves on support staff!

Reckon you are correct TT33.
Sam costs less than Clarko - so more money for others.
When Sam was hired, I thought their older players would hate him. Dont know.

But they look like a very good 6Wins/11Losses team to me. Reckon they will surprise many next year.

Fly is the same at Collingwood - he'd cost less than Bucks. More money (and opportunity) for Leppa.

It's the attempts they are making to improve that I am impressed with.

In my simplistic view of the landscape the previous history was hawks ip, fingerprints and disciples about the league…possibly poached who knows… now it’s tigers DNA everywhere…. Even news articles this week how rfc created the next game paradigm shift

Reactions: 1 users
We shook up things with Emma Murray, we had meditation, mindfulness, Ben Crowe, X. Clarke as one of the first indigenous coaches, the Bachar Houli foundation, KGI, etc.
Aren't the Skunks doing some sort of hypnotism under Fly? Saw it on TV somewhere.

Hawthorn are paying Clarkson his final year out, half this year half next year. $900,000 in total.

Time for a change last 2 seasons hasn't been great repeatedly injuries to common.

For me, I am less peturbed with the injuries. Our players are getting older, that's likely to happen. Particularly with the extra km of running we did during our premiership run.

To me the bigger concern is our inability to keep the pace up for 4 quarters. We used to out run sides in the 4th. If scores were level, I'd be very confident we'd win.
But we don't seem to have the fitness to run out 4th quarters better than anyone else. And when you get physically fatigued, mental fatigue comes with it in the form
of bad decision making.

Reactions: 11 users
Peter Burge oversaw the conditioning of three Richmond premierships and one at Hawthorn - 2008.

Luke Boyd oversaw the conditioning of three Hawthorn premierships - 2013-15.

Boyd has moved on. Where is he going? And Burge has returned to Hawthorn.

Burge will be missed at Tigerland. Interesting development.