Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

TDK not selected to play again by Vossy. Might b that the Ginger is seriously pissed n has already put a line through him for the season.
Exactly like Henry at Collingwood.
Didn't sign up when they asked to and he spent the most of the year as a sub or in the 2's.
In the next 5-10yrs players will announce mid season where they are going similar to the NRL.
Carlton Viking is a cheap version of Geelong Viking.
No man on this planet would pay him 800k let alone 1mill.

Reactions: 1 user
If he's off to the Cats I hope he doesn't play him all year. Bad for both sides.
It's similar to McKay at nth.
Nth are weighing up to let him walk so the AFL gives them another top 10 pick.
This shiiit needs to stop.
If NTH aren't willing to keep him they shouldn't get compo. He isn't a Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron.

It's similar to McKay at nth.
Nth are weighing up to let him walk so the AFL gives them another top 10 pick.
This shiiit needs to stop.
If NTH aren't willing to keep him they shouldn't get compo. He isn't a Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron.
Seriously hoping we're not stupid enough to offer $800k plus a year for a bloke who only plays ten or twelve games a year.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s a long time without a final. Geez they choked it up last year. Was outrageous clutch of 9th from a guaranteed finals spot.

I was having a look at the Carlton board in BF yesterday and some of them are already talking about sacking Voss.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The sad part about the current situation is (from a personal point of view), if you read my posts on here from just before the season started, it's playing out similar to what I'd expected would happen.

There's still a way to go but as it stands, it's all married up with my own concerns of months and months ago.

Perhaps it's not being fooled by the propaganda (the club and their BS spin), or perhaps I've come to know the list and their habits, maybe I've been watching too long or maybe I've become bitter and pessimistic after years of rubbish. Or it could be a combination of all, who knows.

I'm not here to spruik about being 'right' but more to illustrate how predictable it's all become, and how things just never seem to change despite the same problems occurring over and over again. The most common, perhaps is how they completely go to water and embarrass the club when met with any decent opposition.

I didn't get caught up in all the 'hullabaloo' of beating up on a struggling West Coast outfit by 108 points, and while a lot jumped up and down during and after the Brisbane loss, I remained calm again. Why? I knew it would happen, and how can you not when the pattern has long been the same? Beat the s**t sides, fold against the good ones. Year after year.

As for yesterday's comments RE how not making finals wouldn't be considered a failure ... that tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: 14 users
My 2 question marks on Carlton are Voss and Cripps.
If your coach is any good he will get you there, but he might take another year or 2. He is not there yet.
Cripps does not impact positively like recent great captains do. I don't think he has sacrificed his game yet to make the team better.
Just my thoughts.

The sad part about the current situation is (from a personal point of view), if you read my posts on here from just before the season started, it's playing out similar to what I'd expected would happen.

There's still a way to go but as it stands, it's all married up with my own concerns of months and months ago.

Perhaps it's not being fooled by the propaganda (the club and their BS spin), or perhaps I've come to know the list and their habits, maybe I've been watching too long or maybe I've become bitter and pessimistic after years of rubbish. Or it could be a combination of all, who knows.

I'm not here to spruik about being 'right' but more to illustrate how predictable it's all become, and how things just never seem to change despite the same problems occurring over and over again. The most common, perhaps is how they completely go to water and embarrass the club when met with any decent opposition.

I didn't get caught up in all the 'hullabaloo' of beating up on a struggling West Coast outfit by 108 points, and while a lot jumped up and down during and after the Brisbane loss, I remained calm again. Why? I knew it would happen, and how can you not when the pattern has long been the same? Beat the s**t sides, fold against the good ones. Year after year.

As for yesterday's comments RE how not making finals wouldn't be considered a failure ... that tells you all you need to know.

I reckon most of us know how you feel, we have seen similar.

I know it is a cliche but it is a very even competition. I always think of cycling which I also follow, and just how close the results of a 3 week tour are when an also-ran who is seen to have no chance in the race is maybe 30 minutes behind the winner after 3,500KMs. It is a very small margin and in elite sport the margins are very small.

After a long period without success it is very hard to get back to being a contender. Many false dawns, many signs of improvement which are close, but not quite enough. Who knows how the final step happens, there is clearly some luck involved as well as good planning, preparation, the right players etc. The worst is sitting in the middle, you look good some games and you lose a few critical games . . . and you end up without the high draft picks, frustrating.

The best thing Carlton can do is to stick with Voss for the period of his contract (presumably 5 years) and if it doesn't show signs of working then move on. I always thought Richmond were starting to get back on track when we would give a coach the full 5 years and assess at the end of that period and re-appoint or replace depending on the judgement of where we were heading. Yep, we had a few coaches who did not work out, but sacking them maybe 1.5 years into a contract was how we became so unstable, persisting until we really knew if it was going to work costs time, but you have to take the time to build to success. When you achieve it, the next lot rise up and take your place, just the nature of the beast.

DS

I reckon most of us know how you feel, we have seen similar.

I know it is a cliche but it is a very even competition. I always think of cycling which I also follow, and just how close the results of a 3 week tour are when an also-ran who is seen to have no chance in the race is maybe 30 minutes behind the winner after 3,500KMs. It is a very small margin and in elite sport the margins are very small.

After a long period without success it is very hard to get back to being a contender. Many false dawns, many signs of improvement which are close, but not quite enough. Who knows how the final step happens, there is clearly some luck involved as well as good planning, preparation, the right players etc. The worst is sitting in the middle, you look good some games and you lose a few critical games . . . and you end up without the high draft picks, frustrating.

The best thing Carlton can do is to stick with Voss for the period of his contract (presumably 5 years) and if it doesn't show signs of working then move on. I always thought Richmond were starting to get back on track when we would give a coach the full 5 years and assess at the end of that period and re-appoint or replace depending on the judgement of where we were heading. Yep, we had a few coaches who did not work out, but sacking them maybe 1.5 years into a contract was how we became so unstable, persisting until we really knew if it was going to work costs time, but you have to take the time to build to success. When you achieve it, the next lot rise up and take your place, just the nature of the beast.

DS
I agree with most of that. I don’t believe giving Wallace and particularly Frawley 5 years to see how badly they could stuff the place up was a great period for the club though.

I agree with most of that. I don’t believe giving Wallace and particularly Frawley 5 years to see how badly they could stuff the place up was a great period for the club though.

Yeah, but I reckon it showed a more mature and considered view of where we were and where we were going.

It wasn't great, but the way we had been sacking coaches part way through contracts and part way through a season was corrosive.

It is a matter of judgement and there really is no correct answer, but I do recall at the time thinking it was the start of turning things around.

DS

Really enjoying the Paper Bagger fans sooking on talkback radio, it's music to my ears.

• Haha
My 2 question marks on Carlton are Voss and Cripps.
If your coach is any good he will get you there, but he might take another year or 2. He is not there yet.
Cripps does not impact positively like recent great captains do. I don't think he has sacrificed his game yet to make the team better.
Just my thoughts.
Cripps could start with not laughing with the opposition straight after the siren of a defeat, like on Friday night against Brisbane.

I didn't get angry at the result itself as for me it was a sense of indifference at not being at all surprised, but that bit of vision made me see red.

A team of 'nice guys' and a serious lack of leadership.

Cripps could start with not laughing with the opposition straight after the siren of a defeat, like on Friday night against Brisbane.

I didn't get angry at the result itself as for me it was a sense of indifference at not being at all surprised, but that bit of vision made me see red.

A team of 'nice guys' and a serious lack of leadership.
Bring back Mario Borolotto

• Love

You always makes sense on here mate! I've got family and mates who follow the Blues.
You guys are building but just lacking a bit of depth.
Top end depth is as good as anyone, it's your last 6-7 spots on your list where you battle.
We had a similar list in 2017 but Hardwick gave them a defensive role and they all bought in. The rest is history!