Castagna announces retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Castagna announces retirement

Applaud - his efforts and performance was pivotal to our 2017-2020 formula. He now has 3 premiership medallions

Frown - do this 2 weeks back and we have a chance to list Narkle. A nice backup to Castagna (different role). Now we have to wait till the mid year draft. Only hope now is we identify talent for the mid year draft or Narkle plays with our VFL team and we pick him up??

Reactions: 1 user
Guess we have a mid year spot open up. For all his failings he was a big part of our 3 premierships

Firstly, thanks for the memories, George and good luck for the future.

But to me, this feels like a strange decision. George did a full preseason. By retiring now, he’s unlikely to get paid this year in full. If he sucked it up for half a season - even if he played VFL – he would have been in a better position to negotiate a payout leading into the mid-season draft.

Although we don’t know where his head is at. He was coping a lot of 5hit on social media by all reports.

Applaud - his efforts and performance was pivotal to our 2017-2020 formula. He now has 3 premiership medallions

Frown - do this 2 weeks back and we have a chance to list Narkle. A nice backup to Castagna (different role). Now we have to wait till the mid year draft. Only hope now is we identify talent for the mid year draft or Narkle plays with our VFL team and we pick him up??
No great loss not getting Narkle imo

Not really a small foward but more a small inside mid that was being trained as a HBF at Richmond plus if he had the Richmond 'Man' in him he would have signed with our VFL rather than the bummers

Reactions: 4 users
Firstly, thanks for the memories, George and good luck for the future.

But to me, this feels like a strange decision. George did a full preseason. By retiring now, he’s unlikely to get paid this year in full. If he sucked it up for half a season - even if he played VFL – he would have been in a better position to negotiate a payout leading into the mid-season draft.

Although we don’t know where his head is at. He was coping a lot of 5hit on social media by all reports.
Im sure the club will still pay him his 2023 salary

The embodiment of chaos footy. It was a mystery to me that he could ever get a game in a premiership team. I was never a bagger - but I was never so wrong. He leaves as much an enigma to me now as when he played his first game. I suppose it was all about the energy - and maybe he was loved by all that played with him. I wish him nothing but happiness.

Reactions: 7 users
Do rookies need to be elevated to play?
If the below is up to date then yes still need to be elevated. With a tight cap we'll definitely have 2 veterans nominated. Probably Riewoldt and Cotchin. So only options to elevate a Rookie are LTI (10-12wks inactive) or Retirement.

---------------------------------------------

Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible Category A rookies and three Category B rookies. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the player's permission for a second or third season,[2] with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft. Only half of the salary paid by a club to players on the rookie list counts towards the league's salary cap.

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:

• At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.
  • If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.
There are usually plenty of opportunities to enact one of these rules, so rookie-listed players who are playing well enough for senior selection are seldom deprived of the opportunity by list management constraints.

Last edited:

Not so sure we need a Narkle type.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d be interested to know if there’s any compulsion to do so and in the absence of such, whether we would do so regardless.
Clubs usually have a formula to pay these types of contracts out that helps players like Castagna to make these decisions
something like the player is thinking about it and the club is open to it and an agreement is made to pay out say 70% of his salary to replace him that covers the cost of the rookie that comes into the side.

No one epitomised our new style going into 2017 like George.

He was everything Dimma wanted for the small forward line - lightning fast, agile, deceptively strong, could half contests, very capable overhead, the ability to keep the ball "alive" and super dedicated to play in his lane. It made him an absolute permanent fixture in one of the AFL's great teams/eras.

Despite being a little inconsistent with his set shot routine, he invariably stepped up when needed. As mentioned his clutch mark and goal in the third term of the 2019 prelim against the Cats and goal just after half time in the 2020 grand final are folklore and huge reasons why we swung those games back our way.

His impact and the skillset he brought to our team was underrated and undervalued. You only needed to look on PRE to know that.

Loved watching you play George. 3 x Premiership hero. Forever a Richmond man.

• Love
Reactions: 34 users

He was everything Dimma wanted for the small forward line - lightning fast, agile, deceptively strong, could half contests, very capable overhead, the ability to keep the ball "alive" and super dedicated to play in his lane. It made him an absolute permanent fixture in one of the AFL's great teams/eras.

Despite being a little inconsistent with his set shot routine, he invariably stepped up when needed. As mentioned his clutch mark and goal in the third term of the 2019 prelim against the Cats and goal just after half time in the 2020 grand final are folklore and huge reasons why we swung those games back our way.

His impact and the skillset he brought to our team was underrated and undervalued. You only needed to look on PRE to know that.

Loved watching you play George. Forever a Richmond man.
One of the most underrated players in PRE history.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Loved watching you play George. 3 x Premiership hero. Forever a Richmond man.
If it was not for his kicking yips he would have played 250 games imo

A three time Premiership player, they can never take that from you George. Recently married, how about siring a few boys, I hope your aim is true.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Never forget that gf against gws he was awesome should have kicked 5 or 6 goals.

Reactions: 2 users
Never thought I'd feel at all down when this day came but it turns out I was wrong. :cry:

Thanks George! Never doubted your commitment.

Reactions: 3 users