CFA-Guardian angels of our state | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CFA-Guardian angels of our state

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Good to hear re your daughter

Hopefully the bushfires are contained and there is no more danger to you.

Good luck to all the CFA volunteers too over the next few months who do a great job on a voluntary basis.

Just a quick question where you are Rosy, is it rugged bushland and is it very accesible and is there any cattle grazing (I know it got banned in some regions around the snowy mountains) and does the cattle grazing help in keep the bushland down.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We live south of Mansfield mk. Our farm isn't in bushland but is surrounded by hills and mountain ranges.

I was just saying to my husband yesterday that although we're in fairly open country I still feel vulnerable when fires are around. The images of the burnt out farm houses in the paddocks in the western district is stuck in my mind.

They were far more open than we are yet dozens of them burned down.

The CFA has come a long way since then, especially with the water helicopters and technology to keep track of the fires. Still they can only do so much when resources are spread thin due to so many bad fires.

tigericho

Dangerous if Provoked
May 21, 2005
yesterday our home/farm was 2km from the fire at Creswick/Sulky, connected directly by forest, i was amazed by the information available either by the wwweb or ABC radio. As good as the info was, it was always about 15-20 minutes late. We were more aware of the changing situation thru bush telegraph and simply being in the environment. This is in no way a criticism but just to highlight that we all control our own destiny and ultimately are responsible for many of the results.
There is an amazing sensation/realisation that "THIS IS IT FOLKS" and that any prior planning suddenly had to happen, but also a cold realization that destruction could happen so quickly and unexpectedly.
Our Community Fireguard Telephone Tree was used for the first time ever, our own personal Fire Plan was put into action, however we suddenly were faced with issues like "Fire Smart" kids who already knew their tasks, but had outgrown last years Fire protective clothing. Other issues, What to do with an elderly Visiting Relative who had no knowledge of Expectations in a Bushfire situation and actually Panicked. This was then an issue that we had to deal with, at the same time we tried to prepare Gardens, water supplies etc. She was eventually given a note pad and told to monitor the Media and prepare drinks, etc
The fire was controlled briefly before reigniting, Eventually it was contained.
The washup today has seen how poorly prepared many of our neighbours were, and a visit by the CFA today has reinforced that the least prepared were also the most vulnerable. The CFA today pinpointed which houses will take priority if under seige. Those with large Trees close to the home, or Driveways shrouded will be lowest priority. Our home, and our closest neighbour/friend were given a Positive Tick.

Yesterday was indeed a wakeup call for our community, and one that will allow us to prepare better in the future. :) :) :) :) :)

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
Glad to hear you got through OK tigericho, here's hoping you don't need to put your plan into action again.

Sounds like there could be more trouble in a couple of days. All the best to the CFA and SES and everyone else who volunteers in these emergencies.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Rosy, have to say I was a bit worried when the reports came through about the volunteer who lost his life north of Yea where I thought your lot might have been on duty. Turned out the crew was from Castlemaine. Hope those Roar know are all right. Awful.  :'(

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I was really worried it might be one of ours too Ready.

R.I.P. to the firefighter whose life was taken while he was protecting us.

R.I.P. to the 2 people who lost their lives in the Western District trying to flee the flames.

Horrific to hear of lives lost.

Deepest sympathy to the families of those who perished. :'(

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I spoke to a man tonight who's lost thousands of head of stock and had thousands of acres burnt out. The fire burnt up to his house fences on a couple of sides but at least his family and house are ok.

It will take a long time for farmers to recover, especially after so many years of drought.

Aussies are resilliant and those who've lost their houses and land will build again. Thankfully it was a good hay season this year so plenty should be able to donate some to feed the starving stock.

Sadly lives can't be replaced. :'(

A quick word of congratulations to 3LO. Their continual fire coverage is such a wonderful community service.

I had to get my husband some new firefighting boots from the CFA headquarters yesterday and asked them the status of the fires. They couldn't tell me a thing and said to ring the bushfire hotline. I found out on 3LO instead.

He's off to the fires again tomorrow. So worrying and so many in the same situation. Bless them all.

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
rosy said:
I spoke to a man tonight who's lost thousands of head of stock and had thousands of acres burnt out.  The fire burnt up to his house fences on a couple of sides but at least his family and house are ok.

It will take a long time for farmers to recover, especially after so many years of drought.

Aussies are resilliant and those who've lost their houses and land will build again. Thankfully it was a good hay season this year so plenty should be able to donate some to feed the starving stock.

Sadly lives can't be replaced.  :'(

A quick word of congratulations to 3LO.  Their continual fire coverage is such a wonderful community service.

I had to get my husband some new firefighting boots from the CFA headquarters yesterday and asked them the status of the fires.  They couldn't tell me a thing and said to ring the bushfire hotline.  I found out on 3LO instead.

He's off to the fires again tomorrow. So worrying and so many in the same situation.  Bless them all.

i read in todays paper i think if not yesterdays that sounded like that story had him with a dead sheep 8000 sheep he had fences burnt i don't think any survived :'(

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
My husband was mopping up after the fires and saw the burned out property of an ex-Tiger who was listed in the best players of our last night premiership The farm was burnt out completely but thankfully his house has been saved.  All fences and grass completely gone.

We've offered him agistment for his cattle if needed and will give him some hay to help tide him over.  Here's hoping for an early break this year so the paddocks can all recover quickly.

A disappointing thing is 8 fire truckes passed the area on-route from Shepparton to Erica and wanted to stop and get the fire out.  They were told to keep going to Erica, only to get there and be sent straight back again.  A bit too late. :'(

My son rang one of his girlfriends from Warrnambool.  Their family property at the foot of Mt William was completely raised. Lost everything.  Not one house left in the vicinity.  They couldn't get the fire trucks anywhere near there to try and save them.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
rosy said:
My husband was mopping up after the fires and saw the burned out property of an ex-Tiger who was listed in the best players of our last night premiership The farm was burnt out completely but thankfully his house has been saved.  All fences and grass completely gone.

We've offered him agistment for his cattle if needed and will give him some hay to help tide him over.  Here's hoping for an early break this year so the paddocks can all recover quickly.

A disappointing thing is 8 fire truckes passed the area on-route from Shepparton to Erica and wanted to stop and get the fire out.  They were told to keep going to Erica, only to get there and be sent straight back again.  A bit too late. :'(

My son rang one of his girlfriends from Warrnambool.  Their family property at the foot of Mt William was completely raised. Lost everything.  Not one house left in the vicinity.  They couldn't get the fire trucks anywhere near there to try and save them.

That is devastating new Rosy. But im just so glad that the rain is starting to fall to help all the people out up there in the country today (or at least i hope so - its been raining on and off down here in Melbourne all morning so i just hope that is the case around the country areas).

One thing i know about people from the country is their resiliance (sorry spelling) and their willingness to continually pick up the pieces and start off again. It really is the heart of this great country and just reflects the true aussie spirit. :clap :clap

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tubytiger said:
But im just so glad that the rain is starting to fall to help all the people out up there in the country today (or at least i hope so - its been raining on and off down here in Melbourne all morning so i just hope that is the case around the country areas).

Send some up please Tuby. :)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's really eerie here today. We're blanketed with smoke from the high country fires and can't see the hills or the horizon. We had a phone call last night asking us if we could take some horses for a week or two from a property that has to be evacuated. Glad to help out.

The fires have burnt massive areas of bush but it will regenerate quickly. I feel so sorry for all of the animals and wildlife that have perished.

Thanks again to the CFA volunteers working to put the fires out.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
rosy23 said:
It's really eerie here today.  We're blanketed with smoke from the high country fires and can't see the hills or the horizon.  We had a phone call last night asking us if we could take some horses for a week or two from a property that has to be evacuated.  Glad to help out.

The fires have burnt massive areas of bush but it will regenerate quickly.  I feel so sorry for all of the animals and wildlife that have perished.

Thanks again to the CFA volunteers working to put the fires out.

It just sends a big reality check so early in the bushfire season as to what is ahead of us as Victorians are up against. Shheeessshhh prey for good rains peoples.

TheBigDog

The Champ is here!!
Nov 8, 2004
Melbourne
I was in the Mansfield/Merrijig area last weekend, pretty smokey, could see the glow at night. The only thing going for us was the lack of wind.

Not enough can be said about the volunteers of the CFA...tirelessly battling fires with very limited water supplies...I will put cash in any CFA tin I see.
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

The NASA satellite image shows a river of smoke more than 25km wide rising from bushfires and flowing across the state, up the east coast and over the ocean towards Tasmania.

This fire could be a massive inferno.  Unfavourable conditions expected over the weekend bring fears several fires could merge razing approx 600,000 hectares over the weekend.  Approx 35,000ha of bush has already been destroyed.

Very scarey thought.  Best wishes to all firefighters and people protecting their properties. I'm heartbroken at the thought of the wildlife that's perished. :'(

outcast

Tiger Rookie
Mar 9, 2006
One of the worrying things is these fires in the woods point - jamieson area are not far from melbournes water catchments...
I would assume if the catchments were to burn that would have a signifigant effect on the quantity and quality of water running into the dams..

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
outcast said:
I would assume if the catchments were to burn that would have a signifigant effect on the quantity and quality of water running into the dams..

Especially if we get heavy rains washing all the black silt into them outcast.