CFA-Guardian angels of our state | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CFA-Guardian angels of our state

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
outcast said:
One of the worrying things is these fires in the woods point - jamieson area are not far from melbournes water catchments...
I would assume if the catchments were to burn that would have a signifigant effect on the quantity and quality of water running into the dams..

My brother is out around there making fire breaks. Hope that they're effective.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
rosy23 said:

The NASA satellite image shows a river of smoke more than 25km wide rising from bushfires and flowing across the state, up the east coast and over the ocean towards Tasmania.

This fire could be a massive inferno.  Unfavourable conditions expected over the weekend bring fears several fires could merge razing approx 600,000 hectares over the weekend.  Approx 35,000ha of bush has already been destroyed.

Very scarey thought.  Best wishes to all firefighters and people protecting their properties.  I'm heartbroken at the thought of the wildlife that's perished. :'(

I wish you all the best. Thankfully you do have the best of the best defending you. These guys are the real heroes and deserve every bit of respect and then some.

Good luck.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Just want people to realise that its not just the CFA fighting these fires.

A significant amount of the working is being coordinated and undertaken by DSE.

We have just been told to clear our schedules for December as we will be spending most of it fighting fires.

Was to be flown out to Mansfield today but I am being kept around for the weekend in case the sh!te hits the fan down in the South west. Expect to be in the NE by early next week.

The really scary thing is it only early December!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Yep was remiss of me to neglect mentioning the DSE and the private contractors and pilots and the Red Cross and all others who are also fighting the fires in various ways. I suppose I just mentioned the CFA because they are my family and neighbours who volunteer their time so generously.

The great thing about our country is how everyone bands together in times of need. :clap

Don't know about Power's Lookout golden. Will ask the MOTH when he gets home tonight. He rang before and said conditions are terrible, like Ash Wednesday, with thick smoke, heaps of ash in the air and visibility down to 50-100 metres many k's away from the fires.

Gee I hope the weather forecasters are wrong and the state doesn't erupt into one big inferno over the weekend.

I wish you a quiet, event free weekend Western. :hearton

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
Absolutely scary this morning walking outside and not only can you see the smoke (as per yesterday) but smell the smoke-something i havent experienced since the ash wednesday fires in the 80's or being in Singapore when the indonesians were burning off their forests.

Just hope all the guys and girls fighting these fires manage to stay out of harms way along with the locals. Pretty heavy stuff.......

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
Very smoky in Richmond this morning, can only imagine what it is like the further east you go. Thinking of everybody today who lives out that way and the thousands fighting the fires, praying that everybody stays safe.

Actually just got my first smell of smoke. Makes it more real.

skybeau

Tiger Champion
Mar 19, 2006
Yarragon
Messaged a friend last night to find out how she went with her results and she told me that the fires are potentially bearing down on her place...she's leaving this morning with pets and belongings and her parents are deciding whether to do the same or stay and fight. I can't imagine what that would be like...my biggest worry right now is whether I'm hydrated enough to play tennis this arvo :-\

Can anybody feel safe with these fires around? I mean, I'm just north of Warragul, from what I know the fires are ages away...and yet I still feel jittery, a little worried and stuff...having all this smoke around isn't helping. It's goddamn scary. We did a fire evac plan at work last week...I've been working at the same place for seven summers now and this is the first time we've ever done something like that...

Best wishes to anyone who's involved in fighting these fires and to anyone who has decided to stay and protect their homes.

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
I messaged my brother last night. He's up around Woods Point, doing firebreaks around the catchment areas.

My parents are in the same area as yours skybeau, in Bunyip. Very smokey there as well. I'm in Hoppers Crossing, and we have smoke here as well, the smell is quite noticeable today. The wind has been from the east this morning.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We had very poor visibility here today. Inside the house was a smoky haze and it upset the fire alarm a couple of times. It's hard to believe the fires aren't in the paddock next door. Must be so terrifying for those in the danger areas.

Golden my husband asked another fire crew yesterday and they said Powers Lookout was burnt out but I wouldn't take that as 100% gospel considering the confusion amongst the thousands of firefighters covering such a large area.

Also a big thank you to ABC radio who, working with the CFA, give regular updates throughout the day and night.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hard to follow what's happening with the Stoney and Pombo fires knigher but hope the winds aren't blowing in your direction. Keep safe.

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
thanks rosy glad i got to see it before it was burnt if that is true though after the fires wiould not mind seeing it in acouple months time to see the flowers etc that should come out good luck to all involved and who live where the fires are i was at stony point pier and could not see flinders island for the smoke till evening when a breeze happened

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
rosy23 said:
Hard to follow what's happening with the Stoney and Pombo fires knigher but hope the winds aren't blowing in your direction.  Keep safe.

hey rosy spoke to brother this afternoon and he said fires were in the Stoney rises (about 15 minutes from home in Weerite), one was put out on Hawks nest Rd the other was hard to get access to and there was a chopper there helping. Have not been able to reach home since as Mum probably milking as Dad and another brothers were fighting the fire (one had just come back from Jamieson). There was smoke/haze but that been there since yesterday from east gippy fires. Home it works all good for you too soon.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
mk33 said:
rosy23 said:
Hard to follow what's happening with the Stoney and Pombo fires knigher but hope the winds aren't blowing in your direction.  Keep safe.

hey rosy spoke to brother this afternoon and he said fires were in the Stoney rises (about 15 minutes from home in Weerite), one was put out on Hawks nest Rd the other was hard to get access to and there was a chopper there helping. Have not been able to reach home since as Mum probably milking as Dad and another brothers were fighting the fire (one had just come back from Jamieson). There was smoke/haze but that been there since yesterday from east gippy fires. Home it works all good for you too soon.

Hope all your family and others around the whole red zone are safe mk33. Your dad and brothers, as a matter of fact, all those in that zone are bloody amazing people. Just hope all are and continue to be safe in these tough times mate.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Tubytiger said:
mk33 said:
rosy23 said:

Hope all your family and others around the whole red zone are safe mk33. Your dad and brothers, as a matter of fact, all those in that zone are bloody amazing people. Just hope all are and continue to be safe in these tough times mate.

Thanks Tuby, spoke to Mum last night, its not threatening where we live. Mum and Dads house is on the highway about 10 minutes away from the fire. There was 3 fires started around the same area suspected to be deliabrately lit. This one Rosy started across the road from the Stoneyford wreckers and moving through the stony rises behind Lake Corangamite. Its not that huge just inaccesible country so the chopper was able to come down instead of Gippsland as better visibility. We have an outpaddock not far from the front so Dad was checking cattle last night and seeing if needed to shift today. I see in todays paper the major problem for firefighters in the area was Tiger snakes moving away from the fire and into the area where firefighters area.

Must say they have done a fantastic job in Gipp to have very limited property loss with those fronts.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
mk33 said:
. I see in todays paper the major problem for firefighters in the area was Tiger snakes moving away from the fire and into the area where firefighters area.

I heard the radio reporter talking about that this morning.  She didn't believe it and thought it was some urban myth.  She's obviously never walked through the stony ranges.  Tiger snake capital of the world.

Unfortunately a house burned down in that fire yesterday.

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
Advice to residents from North East Water - 12.00 noon

Need for residents in north east Victoria to boil water.
13/12/2006

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/incident_updates.htm#1408629848333

Ish, things are looking grim... so smokey....

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
Really smokey today - cant even see the city skyline from East Brunswick today - hope all is ok with those fires and they havent got out of hand again but not much wind which might explain the smokiness around.... :-\

Tigion

Us Against The World
Nov 25, 2006
East Gippsland
very sad to hear someone had died from fires being a ex gippy ive seen and heard that some of my fav camping and fishing spots are up in flames :( geeze poor buggers had enough last year