CFA-Guardian angels of our state | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CFA-Guardian angels of our state

I've never been so happy to hear rain as I am tonight - I only hope that it buckets down over those fires in the North East of the state and with no bloody lightening either. Let it bucket down huey!!!!

It's so good that the fire alerts for several towns have been downgraded overnight. It's raining steadily at Mt Buller still, and snow forecast there Christmas Day, so they should be right. Fingers crossed for a bit of luck to go Woods Point's way now. They're the only town under thread now.

It would be lovely if the thousands of firefighters could all be home with their families for Christmas.

rosy23 said:
It's so good that the fire alerts for several towns have been downgraded overnight.  It's raining steadily at Mt Buller still, and snow forecast there Christmas Day, so they should be right.  Fingers crossed for a bit of luck to go Woods Point's way now.  They're the only town under thread now.

It would be lovely if the thousands of firefighters could all be home with their families for Christmas.

Wouldnt that just be the best Christmas for those brave men and women who have fought so hard so early in the fire season. Lets certainly hope that is the case Rosy.

I'm stunned to hear that international firefighters are being paid $600 a day as well as expenses, air fares and accommodation. Unbelievable that volunteers who don't make that much in a week not only donate their time but also sacrifice their wages while at the fires. None of them complain and in fact do it willingly but it must add to the low morale in the CFA to read of others getting so much.

Heard a CFA spokesman explain on the ABC that these groups from OS were specially trained to do the jobs that our volunteers can't do, he said they were similar to the SAS compared with the regular army.

Maybe that explains how they got themselves trapped in the fire. :hihi

It still sounds like massive expenditure of tax payers money and it would be interesting to know how necessary it was.  Mr Thwaites was playing dumb when interviewed about it on the news. "I know nuffink" ::)

Also the NSW compensates volunteer firefighters lost wages but the Vic gov. doesn't.

rosy23 said:
Maybe that explains how they got themselves trapped in the fire. :hihi

It still sounds like massive expenditure of tax payers money and it would be interesting to know how necessary it was. Mr Thwaites was playing dumb when interviewed about it on the news. "I know nuffink" ::)

Also the NSW compensates volunteer firefighters lost wages but the Vic gov. doesn't.
thats what my dad said wonder how many os got injured compared to our guys ?

Very disappointing that, according to ABC news, a large fire has been out of control since last night but the CFA and DSE websites haven't been updated for several hours. Our local truck is at the fire with a second crew change but even those manning the local CFA shed don't have any information about the situation. With all the money spent on consultants and rule changes etc following the black Saturday fires it's amazing that this potentially life and property threatening situation isn't kept updated so the CFA volunteers and people at risk are well informed and thus best prepared to act if the need arises. Doesn't take much for a situation to change with these gale force winds.

Sounds like catastrophic weather conditions might be likely tomorrow. Expecting yet another 40+ day but I hope the gale force winds don't eventuate. The place is tinder dry with tons of vegetation around. Not a good day to be rostered on for CFA duty. :help

Well the Gale force winds are in play. Just hope that the fires at the Stoney Rises don't get out of control. You can't put out fires for days on that rocky country.

Almost 40 in the shade here by 9.30am. Wind really picking up. Wildlife all gone to ground early. Quite eerie really. Lots of thought going into our survival plan. Hope it's not needed. Stay safe everybody.

rosy23 said:
Almost 40 in the shade here by 9.30am. Wind really picking up. Wildlife all gone to ground early. Quite eerie really. Lots of thought going into our survival plan. Hope it's not needed. Stay safe everybody.

Sounds like Black Saturday Rosy, that was really eerie.

Trust no dramas in your neck of the woods this time round?

Keep up the good fight CFA. Boo to interfering govts and unions.

the Murdoch media at its best by the sounds of it. while admittedly I don't know the ins and outs of it, I am hearing a lot of the stuff that has come out in the media are just not true.

Ian4 said:
the Murdoch media at its best by the sounds of it. while admittedly I don't know the ins and outs of it, I am hearing a lot of the stuff that has come out in the media are just not true.

Nah.
The media reporting has nought to do with the issue.
For Andrews this is a conflict between rewarding the Union and looking after CFA volunteers.
In the process, there's been a lot of talk about equal opportunity, pay rates, conditions, etc.
But for me, as a rural land owner, the biggest issue is the reported need for CFA volunteers to wait until seven union fire fighters arrive BEFORE fighting a fire.
In other words the CFA has to let it burn until the professionals arrive and tell them what to do.
It's more than sad - it's dangerous.
Our CFA amazing volunteers deserve a lot better than this.

poppa x said:
But for me, as a rural land owner, the biggest issue is the reported need for CFA volunteers to wait until seven union fire fighters arrive BEFORE fighting a fire.
In other words the CFA has to let it burn until the professionals arrive and tell them what to do.
It's more than sad - it's dangerous.
Our CFA amazing volunteers deserve a lot better than this.

that is allegedly not true. hence my point.