Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20)

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Poor game from Ellis, sadly for him.

I would replace him with Ross. It gives us an extra inside midfielder which then gives us the option of playing both Dusty and Sheds wherever the hell we want.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Poor game from Ellis, sadly for him.

I would replace him with Ross. It gives us an extra inside midfielder which then gives us the option of playing both Dusty and Sheds wherever the hell we want.

Nuh - Ross is not a Brando replacement.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Nuh - Ross is not a Brando replacement.

He certainly is not. Ellis's greatest strength is his running, and Ross simply can't gut run all game. Kmac could replace him, or perhaps Stack with Baker moving to the wing, but not Ross. As disappointed as I was with some of Ellis's contact efforts against the Lions, I'm not sure if we have anyone better to replace him

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
In the first quarter, there were a couple of contests Shorty made Bellis look like Scott Pendleberry.

then we clicked into gear, and I thought Shorty was really good.

That's him.

If we won a GF by 85 points, he could win a norm smith

but if we lost one by a point, he could be drawn and quartered on the walk back to PRO.

He is a really good 21st/22nd player that comes with limitations as they do.

his limitation is clear - panic under proper physical and mental pressure. the direct opposite of composure.

the coaches will know it, and groan and lower their heads when he panics.

But they judge the rewards outweigh the risks.

So, he'll get a crack at getting a medal. he could get two?

Like I said, I've been backing Shorty all year.

I thought that game was one of his worst. The thing that turned me was not the lack of defensive pressure, or panicking under pressure (he wasn't too bad there, even backed into a pack). It was the poor use of the ball when not under pressure. His kick ins were always long to a contest, and he wasn't using the short options. He was not hitting targets, or even kicking it to advantage.

There were two separate occasions where he was free on the wing, and kicked to the disadvantage side of a contest. If he can't give you deadly use of the ball when he's free and clear, then combine that with his below average other qualities, and he has no value.

He doesn't have the luxury of being nearly there by foot. He needs to be lethal.

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
One change for me, Eliis for Balta. Balta has the running ability to play on a wing plus can be moved to the backline if the Eagles talls start to get on top. (assuming we play the Eagles of course).

Reactions: 1 user

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
One change for me, Eliis for Balta. Balta has the running ability to play on a wing plus can be moved to the backline if the Eagles talls start to get on top. (assuming we play the Eagles of course).

I like the idea longer term but dont think at this point Balta has the endurance or concentration for this.

sportshow

Tiger Rookie
Apr 14, 2009
I think Ellis could be in trouble - and he wouldn't be replaced like for like but will reshuffle.

I think who we play will also have a say in this ....

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
In theory, this could have been the opportunity either Menadue or Markov were waiting for, but they just don't seem to be in the frame. Let's reasses if one tears it up in the magoos PF. What are these guys waiting for?

Menadue has been in the bests (or best) quite frequently over the last 6 weeks or so. Markov is feast or famine, not a player to rely on.

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Love Balta and not an Ellis fan but Balta would be stuffed half way through the first qtr running like Ellis does. Balta can go for a long run once or twice a game but not all day like Ellis or Prestia or Lambert. Not trying to compare those 3 as players either, just as runnners.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Other than injury, I'd say the only possible changes from here are KMac for Ellis and Stack for Short, with Pickett the wildcard for either spot.

KMac knows the wing role inside out, and although some of us have been ridiculed for pointing out the uniqueness of that role, Mitch Robinson's recent article backed us 100%. But it's possible Pickett plays a blinder this week and Lambert goes to the wing.

I mentioned in his thread that Short had a career-best moment in the third quarter against the Bears. He pushed back into a marking contest against Lyons, held front spot, brought the ball to ground, picked it up and handed off to Baker. Next level for Shorty.

But. Sydney Stack marks that ball nonchalantly.

Shorty came off his man twice to intercept mark. Again, improvement. But Syd, matter of course.

Short's kicking was better - the dart to Caddy in the second. But when does no.44 miss a target?

Short has held Lincoln McCarthy twice in a row. But it's Lincoln McCarthy. Arguably Short's ideal matchup. Short v Rioli? V Ryan? V Cripps? Gulp.

Tough call if Stack is training the proverbial down next week.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Other than injury, I'd say the only possible changes from here are KMac for Ellis and Stack for Short, with Pickett the wildcard for either spot.

KMac knows the wing role inside out, and although some of us have been ridiculed for pointing out the uniqueness of that role, Mitch Robinson's recent article backed us 100%. But it's possible Pickett plays a blinder this week and Lambert goes to the wing.

I mentioned in his thread that Short had a career-best moment in the third quarter against the Bears. He pushed back into a marking contest against Lyons, held front spot, brought the ball to ground, picked it up and handed off to Baker. Next level for Shorty.

But. Sydney Stack marks that ball nonchalantly.

Shorty came off his man twice to intercept mark. Again, improvement. But Syd, matter of course.

Short's kicking was better - the dart to Caddy in the second. But when does no.44 miss a target?

Short has held Lincoln McCarthy twice in a row. But it's Lincoln McCarthy. Arguably Short's ideal matchup. Short v Rioli? V Ryan? V Cripps? Gulp.

Tough call if Stack is training the proverbial down next week.

It’s your last line that sums it up for me.
Just because a bloke is training well is not gonna be enough if he hasn’t played a game for ages.
Sydney would need to play a blinder in the VFL GF (assuming he doesn’t play this week and assuming they get there) before he’s a genuine prospect for AFL selection this year - no matter how much we might like the idea of seeing him play.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It’s your last line that sums it up for me.
Just because a bloke is training well is not gonna be enough if he hasn’t played a game for ages.
Sydney would need to play a blinder in the VFL GF (assuming he doesn’t play this week and assuming they get there) before he’s a genuine prospect for AFL selection this year - no matter how much we might like the idea of seeing him play.
Probably right, T. But Dimma will toss and turn.

TigerPaul71

Tiger Cub
May 24, 2013
There will be only one change.
they wont want to change to much
Stack in
???out
Stack has x factor.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Stack won’t be rushed in, people are getting caught up.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Stack won’t be rushed in, people are getting caught up.

people have been doing this for weeks. Plucking names for the sake of plucking names. Pickett, Aarts, etc. We have a settled 22. There will be no change. If there is, it will only be based on a horses for courses policy. Ellis won't be dropped. Short won't be dropped. you can put your house on it.

Stack's only chance of playing in the Prelim is if someone gets injured at training. But even then that's unlikely given his own injury situation.