Changes for Qualifying Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Qualifying Final

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
We seem to have an embarrassment of riches . . . except in the ruck. Earlier this year we played one ruck and it clearly did not work. Then again, the whole team was down so hard to tell.

I would leave Chol in as second ruck, but, he has one final to prove he is worth a spot and, if he can't prove his worth, then out he goes and we go for the 2017 ruck set-up which, although effective at the time, was clearly a compromise .

Elsewhere there are so many difficult decisions. Looks like Markov and Broad will be unlucky. Ross, Aarts should stay in. But who is out? Rioli has been underwhelming but we know he can perform in finals. Castagna is problematic, great pressure, rubbish kick for goal - do we lose too much of our game if he isn't there? I have no idea as I have been watching footy on the TV and you see so much less.

I would play Prestia if fit, he is invaluable in finals.

So, I would have to say Edwards and Bolton share a centre/forward role, Aarts should hold his place, so I figure Caddy might be the unlucky one, plus possibly Rioli.

Good position to be in just before finals though.

DS
It’s going to do our ‘heads in’ until the side is named.

Need to lay down.
Headache looming and I’m not a selector , just a supporter.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
If we were to make it to the gf ,

There is the real possibility of getting injuries along the way,

The depth is a massive bonus .

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Maybe with Lynch coming back Chol will play that role with Soldo early in the year with Nank second ruck because as a fulltime forward he didn't cut it.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Cool story bro - but Georgie will not be dropped. Wont happen. He is as much as a lock as anyone IMO. A warrior
The problem with watching the game on the box is the camera follows the ball so we miss a lot of the grunt work George does. We may miss it but you know the selectors don't

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Maybe with Lynch coming back Chol will play that role with Soldo early in the year with Nank second ruck because as a fulltime forward he didn't cut it.
Chol can be so infuriating on game day. Can we risk going into the finals picking a player who we can't trust to deliver the goods on a given day? Look what happened in 2018 went we took inured and sick players against the Pies and that didn't turn out well as it cost us a second premier on the bounce

Reactions: 1 user

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019

With Astbury back I would go with Balta as the 2nd ruck, if required. Toby & Soldo have been getting used as a drop back extra defender at times when resting from ruck duties. That would be perfect for Balta. He would also be an x-factor as a tall forward if we get desperate for ideas if a team bulls an unexpected flood etc

Back 6 of

Astbury, Grimes, Baker
Short, Vloss, Houli

Broad is an option too - the only worry is disrupting the back 6, but with Astbury back, thats happening anyway

Balta can still play his role down there as well of we need another option for "Mason Cox" nightmare again. Balta around the ground is just as powerful as Chol IMO.

I really like Chol but he unfortunately picked a bad week to remind us of how inconsistent he can be and come finals we cannot risk that, especially with the likes of Broad, Caddy, Presita, Astbury trying to break into the side

Last edited:

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Chol, Ross, Caddy for Prestia Bolton, Lynch

With Soldo out we will pick our best 22, and work it out from there

Nank rucked alone in 2017, and should do it again

Pickett, and McIntosh can give him a chop out, the way we play it won’t matter

Can’t see Rioli, Pickett getting dropped. The first final will have us 8 midfielders who can all go take their turn in the middle and rest forward and kick goals

Prestia, Martin, Graham, Lambert, Cotchin, Bolton, Edwards, Pickett.

The big X factor is Balta, having Astbury back gives the coaching staff an opportunity to be creative with this athletic beast.

No way Aarts get dropped if fit

Reactions: 8 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
In: Bolton, Lynch, Prestia
Out: Caddy, Chol, Ross

B GRIMES BALTA VLASTUIN
HB HOULI ASTBURY BAKER
C McINTOSH MARTIN PICKETT
HF EDWARDS RIEWOLDT BOLTON
F RIOLI LYNCH AARTS
R NANKERVIS, COTCHIN, PRESTIA
INTER LAMBERT, SHORT, GRAHAM, CASTAGNA
EMERG MARKOV, CADDY, ROSS, BROAD
That’s as good as a Richmond side as I’ve seen over the last 20years.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
In: Bolton, Lynch, Prestia
Out: Caddy, Chol, Ross

B GRIMES BALTA VLASTUIN
HB HOULI ASTBURY BAKER
C McINTOSH MARTIN PICKETT
HF EDWARDS RIEWOLDT BOLTON
F RIOLI LYNCH AARTS
R NANKERVIS, COTCHIN, PRESTIA
INTER LAMBERT, SHORT, GRAHAM, CASTAGNA
EMERG MARKOV, CADDY, ROSS, BROAD
Yeah think that’s how it will pan out, barring any injuries. I like Ross, but he can’t keep Dion out.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Imho , we still need insurance in the ruck .If something ever happened to Nank during a game then we are ruck- less. I think we need to keep Cholly in there for that sole reason. Otherwise we play Balta out of position. No way would I risk Lynch in the ruck especially after a hammy.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Imho , we still need insurance in the ruck .If something ever happened to Nank during a game then we are ruck- less. I think we need to keep Cholly in there for that sole reason. Otherwise we play Balta out of position. No way would I risk Lynch in the ruck especially after a hammy.
Also is CCJ hadn't had stuffed up with Stacky then we would have had another option

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
.end the caddy & rioli farce now!
.graham tackles 8 pressure points 74...caddy tackles 0 pressure points 1
.rioli zero input first half then plays show pony ..just not desperate enough when heat on
.any thoughts on why we couldnt keep the ball in our forward 50 first half ?
.markov light years more versatile & dangerous to opposition.
.broad ruck option for ross

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019

Is Chol actually any better a tap ruckman than balta though? cant really sau ive ever noticed his tapwork to be anything but 'meh'

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Choices are:

a half-hearted Chol in ruck/forward
Balta defence/ruck backup. Would be shame to take him out of defence but may be the choice we have to make.
Broad/other playing the Griggs premiership ruckman role.

None of these choices are great. I might be tempted to go with number 3 because the oppo may win the clearances but we'll still beat them up around the ground.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
If Broad plays ruck then I suppose he could be switched out down back with Balta if things go pear shaped.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ross, Caddy, Aarts. All desperately stiff.

Rioli had the most sprint efforts for us, and the most repeat sprints on the ground. The equal most F50 tackles, and was equal 4th for us for score involvements.

Aarts spent less time on the ground than everyone except Edwards, Nank, Cotch and Caddy. Had one tackle. I reckon he leads the team in holding the ball frees against, a couple per game. (He's behind only Stack and Soldo for average frees against.) He's behind Rioli and George for average pressure acts, behind Rioli for tackles. I reckon one of those three go out, and it's almost a raffle.

It's nitpicking, but that's how tough the call is. I won't be at all surprised or disappointed if he plays. And I might change my mind in the next fortnight.

Chol. I watched again through Carts' eyes and was able to view it as a forgive run. Talia wore him like a second skin and a couple or three times he had O'Brien to compete with as well. Interestingly, in two one-on-one marking contests against their young behemoth, he was not outmarked. He'll have an easier time with Lynch taking the best defender, and I agree with TBR that he helps create space inside 50 for the other two talls.

But the clincher for me is the need to not run Nank into the ground. For a one-off match, he could go solo. But three tough finals? Dangerous.

I love Caddy, but it looks like a choice between him and Chol, and that's where I've landed.

Reactions: 7 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Chol, Ross, Caddy for Prestia Bolton, Lynch

With Soldo out we will pick our best 22, and work it out from there

Nank rucked alone in 2017, and should do it again

Pickett, and McIntosh can give him a chop out, the way we play it won’t matter

Can’t see Rioli, Pickett getting dropped. The first final will have us 8 midfielders who can all go take their turn in the middle and rest forward and kick goals

Prestia, Martin, Graham, Lambert, Cotchin, Bolton, Edwards, Pickett.

The big X factor is Balta, having Astbury back gives the coaching staff an opportunity to be creative with this athletic beast.

No way Aarts get dropped if fit

Despite the angst and different viewpoints actually think it is a very clear cut call and Niko has nailed it.

Mabs unfort can't be trusted and will miss. The three smalls up front always play when fit (the calls for Rioli or George to miss completely overlook what makes us great). Zero chance. Aarts through performance is also in that boat now ILHO. Like Pickett and McIntosh on the wings only injury would see us compromise the full ground defensive coverage they provide.

Lynch makes Caddy obsolete up front and shame to miss again but Ross is a mid too many with Shai and Meatball back.

Balta can be ruck relief a few mins a qtr and DTLD means he can be unleashed full time there in Nank goes down (touch wood).

Done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users