Changes for Qualifying Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Qualifying Final

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
To add and he's not getting many mentions, but next man in for most outs (wing or any defensive player) during finals is Markov ILO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Choices are:

a half-hearted Chol in ruck/forward
Balta defence/ruck backup. Would be shame to take him out of defence but may be the choice we have to make.
Broad/other playing the Griggs premiership ruckman role.

None of these choices are great. I might be tempted to go with number 3 because the oppo may win the clearances but we'll still beat them up around the ground.

Broad can also play back with DTLD and frees Noah up to play relief ruck, also keeps Grimes frree to pay on Cameron or Gray we lose nothing with Balta replacing Chol but we do get extra run and versatility.

This is the way I'd go.

Reactions: 3 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Chol, Ross, Caddy for Prestia Bolton, Lynch

With Soldo out we will pick our best 22, and work it out from there

Nank rucked alone in 2017, and should do it again

Pickett, and McIntosh can give him a chop out, the way we play it won’t matter

Can’t see Rioli, Pickett getting dropped. The first final will have us 8 midfielders who can all go take their turn in the middle and rest forward and kick goals

Prestia, Martin, Graham, Lambert, Cotchin, Bolton, Edwards, Pickett.

The big X factor is Balta, having Astbury back gives the coaching staff an opportunity to be creative with this athletic beast.

No way Aarts get dropped if fit
I hear you but I reckon its way too risky this time around. Worst case the second ruck can go to Broad and Balta switching through defence. I like Chol but I couldn't trust him again after what he dished up.

Reactions: 1 user

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Despite the angst and different viewpoints actually think it is a very clear cut call and Niko has nailed it.

Mabs unfort can't be trusted and will miss. The three smalls up front always play when fit (the calls for Rioli or George to miss completely overlook what makes us great). Zero chance. Aarts through performance is also in that boat now ILHO. Like Pickett and McIntosh on the wings only injury would see us compromise the full ground defensive coverage they provide.

Lynch makes Caddy obsolete up front and shame to miss again but Ross is a mid too many with Shai and Meatball back.

Balta can be ruck relief a few mins a qtr and DTLD means he can be unleashed full time there in Nank goes down (touch wood).

Done.

Completely agree

The ruck man of 2020, works about 75/80% as hard as the 2017 ruckman. Less game time less goals etc, nank is a workhorse that may well be a triple premiership ruckman in a month. The decreased game time of 2020 makes 1 ruckman optimal Chol doesn’t make our best 22.

Feb 25, 2007
Broad can also play back with DTLD and frees Noah up to play relief ruck, also keeps Grimes frree to pay on Cameron or Gray we lose nothing with Balta replacing Chol but we do get extra run and versatility.

This is the way I'd go.

We are on the same page with Chol going out, but you mentioned Broad that adds to another in making it 4 players that would come into the side.
Lynch, Prestia, Bolton, and Broad. I can't see Dimma making 4 changes even though your suggestion has merit.

Nank rucks the majority of the qtr and Balta gives him a 5min chop out. We also have Lynch and Jack that can take the ruck contests in our fwd 50...
Let's say we win the QF, straight to a prelim and a 2-week break, win that another 7 days to the GF. Nank can play at an optimum level "3 games in 5 weeks".

I had a tough time trying to take 3 out, likely Chol, Ross, and Caddy. Even though Cads and Ross did well. Who would be the 4th player you'd have out?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Despite the angst and different viewpoints actually think it is a very clear cut call and Niko has nailed it.

Mabs unfort can't be trusted and will miss. The three smalls up front always play when fit (the calls for Rioli or George to miss completely overlook what makes us great). Zero chance. Aarts through performance is also in that boat now ILHO. Like Pickett and McIntosh on the wings only injury would see us compromise the full ground defensive coverage they provide.

Lynch makes Caddy obsolete up front and shame to miss again but Ross is a mid too many with Shai and Meatball back.

Balta can be ruck relief a few mins a qtr and DTLD means he can be unleashed full time there in Nank goes down (touch wood).

Done.
So I guess what you are saying is that even if he was fit, Soldo would be dropped with all our players available?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
.lynch for chol...agree on one ruck...would do better alongside lynch but u/f mabs body work not uptoit
.bolton for rioli...gave us nothing again first half when required.(wont happen with golden boy tho)..aarts only if injured
.markov for caddy....zero forward pressure... ball coming out way too easy...justice for oleg (& our versatility)
. i realise not our "favoured numbers" for zones....just make it work...its not that radically different.
.i bow to astos recovery...proven wrong...tho not much to beat...did he compromise balta?
.liking ross directness...too late for broady & whatever he did.

Caddy played wing majority of the night. So Markov wouldn't be for Caddy if forward pressure is your concern. Rioli, Aarts, castagna. Other high forwards included Graham and Lambert. I think with the players that have and are coming back Markov's season is done unfortunately.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yes Mabs shot himself in the foot with that performance but his only saving grace may be that Lynch's return changes the dynamic. He won't get the best defender like Talia who towelled him. We've gone with a two ruck structure all year. Will we change it now?

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
No chance. They'll be fighting as hard as possible to avoid us. Clearly the best team of the last month or more with guns coming back.

Sending players out to lose is a dangerous precedence on the eve of trying to win a premiership ,

We back ourselves to beat everyone and anyone anywhere has to be their attitude or they are admitting there are fragilities

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
I would have thought if Balta was any sort of ruck option we would have seen it in the Adelaide game. Instead Caddy was used occasionally. You all forget that he was horrible in the ruck. He didn't compete, often just allowed opponent to take the tap. Maybe his extra confidence may help but I don't think its a realistic option. Bolton and Lynch come in and Prestia has to play if fit. Chol is the only obvious out. Aarts (inj) may make the task easier but he plays if fit. Ross is likely to give way but gee he would be stiff (like Markov). Great that we have 4+ players that could come in (Broad, Ross, Markov, Aarts) if we suffer injuries and our team would be just as. good.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Ross, Caddy, Aarts. All desperately stiff.

Rioli had the most sprint efforts for us, and the most repeat sprints on the ground. The equal most F50 tackles, and was equal 4th for us for score involvements.

Aarts spent less time on the ground than everyone except Edwards, Nank, Cotch and Caddy. Had one tackle. I reckon he leads the team in holding the ball frees against, a couple per game. (He's behind only Stack and Soldo for average frees against.) He's behind Rioli and George for average pressure acts, behind Rioli for tackles. I reckon one of those three go out, and it's almost a raffle.

It's nitpicking, but that's how tough the call is. I won't be at all surprised or disappointed if he plays. And I might change my mind in the next fortnight.

Chol. I watched again through Carts' eyes and was able to view it as a forgive run. Talia wore him like a second skin and a couple or three times he had O'Brien to compete with as well. Interestingly, in two one-on-one marking contests against their young behemoth, he was not outmarked. He'll have an easier time with Lynch taking the best defender, and I agree with TBR that he helps create space inside 50 for the other two talls.

But the clincher for me is the need to not run Nank into the ground. For a one-off match, he could go solo. But three tough finals? Dangerous.

I love Caddy, but it looks like a choice between him and Chol, and that's where I've landed.
Agree with everything Spook except for the Aarts call. He is for mine is ahead of Rioli. But that wont matter as all three will play.

Caddy & Ross in the gun unfortunately for them.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Would rather Broad come in for Chol and play forward and 2nd ruck. You know you're going to get a contest both forward and in the ruck with our Broady.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I would have thought if Balta was any sort of ruck option we would have seen it in the Adelaide game. Instead Caddy was used occasionally. You all forget that he was horrible in the ruck. He didn't compete, often just allowed opponent to take the tap. Maybe his extra confidence may help but I don't think its a realistic option. Bolton and Lynch come in and Prestia has to play if fit. Chol is the only obvious out. Aarts (inj) may make the task easier but he plays if fit. Ross is likely to give way but gee he would be stiff (like Markov). Great that we have 4+ players that could come in (Broad, Ross, Markov, Aarts) if we suffer injuries and our team would be just as. good.
As far as I am concerned Balta is a new Rolls Royce with that new car smell. No way should he be risked in the ruck.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
As far as I am concerned Balta is a new Rolls Royce with that new car smell. No way should he be risked in the ruck.

Its taken a fair while to get the confused look off Balta's face and get him focussed on learning his defensive craft. Still has a fair way to go there. Would hate to see a relapse.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It would be the hard luck story of the century is Ross is omitted for the Grand Final