Changes for Qualifying Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Qualifying Final

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Dimma will be desperate to give Prestia some game time in a game we can lose. He will be picked even if underdone but can play. Assuming Arts, Caddy and Tom get up so its a best team discussion:

When Prestia is in - Ross is out.

Now it should be down to form.

When Bolton is in - George is out. I agreed to Aarts yesterday but the game last night proved that he is staying right there and is in front of George and Daniel.
When Lynch is in its a difficult selection decision:
- Caddy or Chol as 2nd ruck (I'd pick Chol for the 1st Final, yes he was poor but if you can get him going RFC is a much more balanced side)
- Caddy or Pickett for the wing (Captain's call, both can be relied upon to do their bit)

Kudos for Caddy being considered for wing, forward and the Grigg special. Still, could easily end up being #23 in our best team and miss the lot.

No way you can name Chol after last nights performance.

Caddy is the interesting one. He has been there twice before.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's tough but I expect Lynch, Bolton and Prestia to play. It may depend on who we play whether Chol plays or not.

Chol, Ross, Caddy, Pickett, Rioli and potentially even Castagna are the candidates to go out. Players like Short, Baker, McIntosh and Aarts who could have been vulnerable just keep on stepping up

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Georgie is zero chance of getting dropped. He IS our style. Will never get dropped

there has to be a tipping point though when the talent available spits him out. Horrendous goal kicking can’t be sustainable in the forward line forever. Do you think Edwards and Bolton rotating through his position would be a downgrade? I don’t. I really don’t want to see Ross dropped after some very good form that has brought a lot of value in development and contribution terms. I think all players are replaceable.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
It's tough but I expect Lynch, Bolton and Prestia to play. It may depend on who we play whether Chol plays or not.

Chol, Ross, Caddy, Pickett, Rioli and potentially even Castagna are the candidates to go out. Players like Short, Baker, McIntosh and Aarts who could have been vulnerable just keep on stepping up
Aarts if there is an injury concern with his shoulder.

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
there has to be a tipping point though when the talent available spits him out. Horrendous goal kicking can’t be sustainable in the forward line forever. Do you think Edwards and Bolton rotating through his position would be a downgrade? I don’t. I really don’t want to see Ross dropped after some very good form that has brought a lot of value in development and contribution terms. I think all players are replaceable.

Cool story bro - but Georgie will not be dropped. Wont happen. He is as much as a lock as anyone IMO. A warrior

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Out: Chol, Aarts (if injured), Caddy (if injured)

In: Lynch, Prestia, Bolton.

Controversially, I'm wondering whether Bolton plays small forward if we get Edwards and Prestia back across two games.

I know, I know, Hardwick doesn't change things like that.

But if Aarts goes out, and Edwards/Bolton split their time between centre and small forward, surely that's upgrades everywhere? Gives us flexibility and to put players where the need is.

Being able to rotate Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards and Bolton through your midfield is an insane luxury that no other team can match. Especially when half of them are also A grade forwards. Graham and Ross for grunt, midfield defence, and extraction.

Reactions: 2 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Yes but... do you think Bolton and Edwards would be a downgrade @waiting? It’s a question that in my opinion is pretty important. I am undecided but missing 6 goals in a final (or even 3) may not not make us all giggle this year.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
We have an embarrassment of riches ..

what if Aarts and Caddy aren't injured ? they both had very good games ..
and i like what Caddy brings, it's a bit unique in the team.

Reactions: 1 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Especially the work he and Aarts do working up and down the ground helping the backline is phenomenal.

When Dimma made this game plan, he invented George Castagna at the same time using just bones and dust.

If I had to pick 3. players which summarised our style and dominance over this era it would be Grimes, Dusty & Castagna. He is that important, no joke

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Hardest calls to be made all year for next round.

I think selection is relatively easy o_O

No Brainer : Lynch for Chol, (Cholly, everything to play for but unfortunately played himself out of the final series).
Shai for Ross, (Ross unlucky did nothing wrong).
Dion for Caddy, (not like for like but you can't have enough gun midfielders).

Wouldn't be picking anyone on the basis that they can pinch hit in a couple of ruck contests.

Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yes but... do you think Bolton and Edwards would be a downgrade @waiting? It’s a question that in my opinion is pretty important. I am undecided but missing 6 goals in a final (or even 3) may not not make us all giggle this year.
Agree.
Going to be tough MC decisions.
Some of us would be ‘brutal’ in our selections.
To fit Lynch, Prestia, Bolton there are going to be some unlucky, unfortunate, unhappy players.

But like last years GF inclusions Dimma may not be afraid to make that call.

If Caddy & Aarts don’t come up his decisions are made somewhat for him.

Still the dilemma who assists Nank the ‘tank’. That’s the one that will keep us for the next two weeks deciding the make up of the side.

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
In: Bolton, Lynch, Prestia
Out: Caddy, Chol, Ross

B GRIMES BALTA VLASTUIN
HB HOULI ASTBURY BAKER
C McINTOSH MARTIN PICKETT
HF EDWARDS RIEWOLDT BOLTON
F RIOLI LYNCH AARTS
R NANKERVIS, COTCHIN, PRESTIA
INTER LAMBERT, SHORT, GRAHAM, CASTAGNA
EMERG MARKOV, CADDY, ROSS, BROAD
As much as I would love to see Ross play it's very hard to argue with that side. I can't see who he keeps out. Probably down to Pickett, Caddy and Ross for 1 spot. Some damn good emergencies there.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We seem to have an embarrassment of riches . . . except in the ruck. Earlier this year we played one ruck and it clearly did not work. Then again, the whole team was down so hard to tell.

I would leave Chol in as second ruck, but, he has one final to prove he is worth a spot and, if he can't prove his worth, then out he goes and we go for the 2017 ruck set-up which, although effective at the time, was clearly a compromise .

Elsewhere there are so many difficult decisions. Looks like Markov and Broad will be unlucky. Ross, Aarts should stay in. But who is out? Rioli has been underwhelming but we know he can perform in finals. Castagna is problematic, great pressure, rubbish kick for goal - do we lose too much of our game if he isn't there? I have no idea as I have been watching footy on the TV and you see so much less.

I would play Prestia if fit, he is invaluable in finals.

So, I would have to say Edwards and Bolton share a centre/forward role, Aarts should hold his place, so I figure Caddy might be the unlucky one, plus possibly Rioli.

Good position to be in just before finals though.

DS