Changes for Qualifying Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Qualifying Final

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
G is asking who else would miss if Soldo was fit.

Interesting question. It would have to be one of rioli george and aarts, with bolton moving into the fwd line. most likely one of aarts or rioli as george hasn't been dropped in 4 years.

Unfortunately it would be Aarts and I say unfortunately cos I like the lad and I say Aarts only because they wont drop Rioli in finals nor Castatgna after his *smile* year hes still played every game.

Bolton, Edwards, Castagna Lambert Martin all played forward last year no reason they cant again this year, then theres Baker who can go forward also.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep. Chol failed to impact against the wooden spooner - I don't have a lot of faith he'll improve very much in a finals game. Maybe as third tall with Lynch back he'd have a better chance, but even so.

Yep, we don't need a third forward tall, better having a nippy smaller player such as Dusty keeping a third up defender honest. We need someone who can adequately backup Nanks. He was soundly beaten in the ruck and soundly beaten forward. He had so many opportunities, the ball came his way ALOT but was just behind his man a ridiculous number of times. I can't see him being picked again but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: 5 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Does having Chol in the team make us better or worse?
If he has a very specific role to help separate and spoil oppo defenders, tackle anyone who's nearby, be an opportunist at ground level, and give Nank a breather each quarter (at which time we adust our stoppage combo and tactics accordingly), then he could make us better.

Oh...and if he kicks five goals. That'd be handy.

Reactions: 1 user

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
Caddy played wing majority of the night. So Markov wouldn't be for Caddy if forward pressure is your concern. Rioli, Aarts, castagna. Other high forwards included Graham and Lambert. I think with the players that have and are coming back Markov's season is done unfortunately.
.so wingers are not required to apply pressure or tackle?...what does one pressure point even mean?...caddy was an asset 3 years ago when he could run & pack mark...now he can't...unless you are a playmaker like dusty, at richmond you must have pressure acts with impact...even chol had 21.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Here are Chol's stats for 2020

He can watch from the stand IMO

1600690691886.png1600690691886.png

Reactions: 1 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Also those wanting Balta to pinch hit in the ruck havent been watching very closely. The defence is the only part of the ground that remains constant during the games. Its all about structure. Hardwick will not be experimenting with this by throwing Balta in the ruck.

IMO Chol will play.
Just for the sake of argument, this week was the first time we've played with the two tall defenders for the year, so we don't really know if we're too top heavy down there, and the Crows wasn't a great test case for that

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
.so wingers are not required to apply pressure or tackle?...what does one pressure point even mean?...caddy was an asset 3 years ago when he could run & pack mark...now he can't...unless you are a playmaker like dusty, at richmond you must have pressure acts with impact...even chol had 21.

No I never said that. Typically your wingers in the Tigers lineup aren't in the forward line applying pressure, they're manning the arc. So your request to replace Caddy with Markov to add forward line pressure doesn't make alot of sense. I just assumed based on that comment you thought Caddy played forward. Caddy may make way but I can't see it being for Markov unfortunately for him.

By the way Caddy played on the wing so obviously he can run. Had 3 tackles. He also took 2 contested marks so still has the ability but obviously not as fit as he was 3 years ago. Only played 66% game time.

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Just for the sake of argument, this week was the first time we've played with the two tall defenders for the year, so we don't really know if we're too top heavy down there, and the Crows wasn't a great test case for that

I can't even see it as a legit argument as when you have 2 players that run at warp speed like Balta and Grimes there is no such thing as top heavy down back for us.

I sleep easy at night knowing that Dave can help keep the ' Gorillas in the Mist '

1600734385250.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
My changes are based on maintaining structure and bringing together a settled line up.

So - Chol stays. Maintains our two ruck structure and leaves our key position players do their job. Plus there’s no point taking him back for a scratch match where he kicks another bagful. He’s better off as the third tall in our forward line. It’s time he learnt what finals footy is all about. You never know – he might surprise his knockers. He’s certainly capable.

Is Prestia ready? If he’s about where Edwards and DTLD were before their comeback then he’s in. An 80% Prestia is better than Ross at this stage. Prestia in – Ross out. But I agree with the majority – it’s a really tough break for Ross who has been performing.

Lynch for Caddy. Caddy is surplus to needs with Chol remaining in the team as a third marking option in the forward line and will not be missed around the ground considering the other inclusions.

Bolton – of course. But who for? I’m not touching the wings – they’ve got a good thing going. So Pickett stays. Rioli is my choice. He has been in and out of the team all year – and unless he is full throttle is expendable. And we’ve won without him. I think that Edwards can do his job with stints in the middle too.

So – Caddy, Ross and Rioli out.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Plenty of different ways we can go about selecting the team this week. One thing that's for certain over the last 4 years is that trusting our match committee & football department is the wisest thing to do.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Agree Chol played his best as 3rd tall/backup ruck. Can't go in with one ruck, plus don't want to upset the balance of the defence if we don't have to .
Chol has played as 3rd tall/backup ruck every other game he has played this year- 9 games. He ahs kicked multiple goals twice (2 goals both times), and been goaless 4 times. His highest possession tally is 9, he has had 5 disposals or less 4 times. He has taken more than 2 marks in a game once- 4 marks. and he averages 6 hit outs/game.

I know we are not a stats driven team, but Chol is played on hope, and height, and little else.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Out: Chol, Ross, Caddy,
In: Bolton, Lynch, Prestia

If Prestia isn't ready, then Broad comes in. Balta will have to play relief ruck as needed. Lynch to do forward line rucking. Ross & Caddy unlucky but who else is to be dropped?

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Caddy is a very very handy type. That bump and goal shows you how capable he is forward especially one on one. I'm loath to leave him out.

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
I can't even see it as a legit argument as when you have 2 players that run at warp speed like Balta and Grimes there is no such thing as top heavy down back for us.

I sleep easy at night knowing that Dave can help keep the ' Gorillas in the Mist '

View attachment 10568
The point was more towards IF we dont go in with a genuine second ruck (if we can call Chol that) then pulling Balta out of the back line for a few minutes each quarter as a second ruck won't affect the defensive structure we've had all season now that Dave is back. I just think it would give us more impact overall than having Chol lazing around taking up space, and play someone who puts in 100%, like a Caddy, Markov or Broad

Reactions: 3 users