Changes v Aints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Aints

I thought we were a bit imbalanced personally. 4 half backs is probably 1 too many. I thought Mansell was pretty good, but I'd probably have him out, or position him as a small forward (but he hasn't played there before so probably not fair).

We also need that other wing filled properly, so for me I'd go.

Out Aarts (dropped), Mansell (team balance), Martyn (team balance)
In Rioli (either of them), Kmac or Hugo (if Kmac isn't right), CCJ

Out. Umpire no 11 Curtis Deboy
In. Any umpire who will give us a free.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Can’t believe some posters want Rioli back in the side after we carried him for the first two rounds And the past two premiership years.
He got dropped to medical sub got another chance when the human meatball was injured and was a passenger again Apart from two goals.
He hasn’t had a fair dinkum game to show that his form has improved.
He is non competitive and only looks good in open fast games.

Reactions: 1 user
StKilda have their 2 rucks back now don't they? CCJ must come in. We know 2 rucks is the way to go and Chol just can't seem to reach the level, pretty revealing he hasn't got a game with Nank struggling on his own and CCJ suspended.

I agree with the reply to my comment that dropping Graham is harsh, I just couldn't think of anyone else to drop. Graham is a bit down on form but he has credits so would like to keep playing him. Thinking maybe he needs some confidence building in the VFL.

I would not play MRJ this year, he is first year in, doubt he has the tank and wonder about speed since he has never played at VFL level let alone AFL. Give him time to develop.

I thought Dan Rioli was a little better against South, I reckon he also offers more than Aarts at the moment. Not sure what do do about Aarts, is he capable of getting that bit better to play well at AFL level? Don't know, but he is not at the level at the moment. AFL is a tough game.

I would want to keep at least one of Mansell and Martyn, 1 game is not enough, they need the experience. Then again, so does RCD and Ralphsmith. Gotta play the kids, they are the future.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Torn with Caddy. Want him to play but he just seems too slow.
But in saying that I would pick him before Aarts

Josh is at the crossroads now especially with the new rules and is in peril of becoming our 23rd 24th 25th player as very handy depth but no longer a lock in 22 player.

Last edited:
Caddy is finished at Richmond
No way. He has been given only one position the wing, this is harsh to judge him on. I feel he is a better marking option in the forward than Jake Aarts. At least CAD can bring the ball down and compete.

Reactions: 1 users
Maims is a great description. Not sure I've seen a bloke do more damage to the opposition completely legally. And at what, 80 odd kg? Maybe he's packing a crowbar that you just don't see?

No way he gets dropped, I'm hoping he can tidy up his disposal and we've got another bonfide A grdaer.
All due respect, he’ll never get close to an A grader unless his locker is next to one,
His disposal and decision making is not AFL standard.
Love his run and attack on the man so stays in for mine but Christ I wish he didn’t get so many disposals

Reactions: 1 user
This time last year we were only playing one ruck in Soldo. We were horrible around the ball. Then we went with 2 rucks and looked far more damaging. Same thing happened in 2019.
The two ruck combo is a non brainer.

Reactions: 1 users
Welease Cawwum!!

In Cujo Kmac (MJ if Kmac or Cotchin not right)
out Martyn (good learning experience) Aarts (sorry Jake)
Balta to play the Flossy role

Broad Grimes Astbury
Short Balta Houli
Pickett Cotchin Mansell
Castagna Bolton Baker
Jack Lynchy CCJ
Nank Martin Edwards

Int lambert Ross Graham Kmac (MJR_)
I reckon Broady is doing a good job in the Flossy role so leave Balta where his is for now

Ins:
Kmac will come in, Hardwick intimated in his presser that he wants Ralphsmith to come in so I think at least 2 ins.
Will CCJ come in? Probably given Nank needs some help and we need to mix up our forward line a bit. Not working really well atm. So that means 3 ins.
Outs:
Graham has credit in the bank so will survive selection but if he cant find form against the saints will probably be dropped the following week. So I reckon Martyn, Mansell and Aarts will be omitted. A bit unfair on Martyn and Mansell as both had reasonable debuts considering the pressure of the game.

In Cameron-Jones, McIntosh, Ralphsmith and Rioli D.
Out Aarts, Graham, Mansell and Martyn.

B Astbury Balta Short
HB Baker Grimes Houli
C McIntosh Bolton Pickett
HF Martin Lynch Castagna
F Cameron-Jones Riewoldt Lambert
R Nankervis Cotchin Edwards
I/C Broad Ralphsmith Rioli D and Ross
Sub Graham.

Last edited:
Got to be at least 3 possibly should be 4. Graham might get one more chance to put the clamps on Crouch and Steele in the guts.

Aarts, Graham, Martyn, Mansell, the 4 most likely in the gun, Caddy didnt play so will be interesting to see which they go.

Grover, Hugo, Rioli, Caddy and CCJ the list of the inclusions to be picked from.

Why all this concentration on weaknesses. The club plays to its strengths. Dimma said we don't spend too much time working on weaknesses.
We won 3 out of 4 because we are a positive club.
Don't put down the players. They are a product of the coaching and training.
The new players may not yet be as mentally strong because they haven't had enough time to do the mental training.

Trust the system.

Reactions: 7 users
Port would finished the game with 21 fit men if not for Pickett.

YES, he butchers the odd ball and fumbles the odd ball, but 80% of the time he takes the 3 nitrosteps and fixes it up.

He isnt the perfect footballer, but he runs fast and hard all day, maims the opposition, and provides all the link up a wingman should.

I believe firmly he should be in the guts.
Every team needs a couple of blokes who can play a run-with role when required. I think Pickett should be developed in that direction and given that role at times when we are losing the clearances. We need elite flexibility within our personnel to support tactical changes mid-game.