Changes V Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Lions

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
that leaves Short competing with Baker for the last spot in the back line.
... they will need to earn their place as a mid or forward
Such a shuffle of positions could result in Higgins missing out. Simple truth is, no-one would be in the least bit surprised if Short kicked 3 in a GF from 50m out. That's flood-beating skill worth its weight in gold – or premiership medallions (take your pick).

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Such a shuffle of positions could result in Higgins missing out. Simple truth is, no-one would be in the least bit surprised if Short kicked 3 in a GF from 50m out. That's flood-beating skill worth its weight in gold – or premiership medallions (take your pick).

Can't see it personally. Short is not a great pressure tackling player and I think that's a non-negotiable for a small forward in the Tigers line-up.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Can't see it personally. Short is not a great pressure tackling player and I think that's a non-negotiable for a small forward in the Tigers line-up.
Then give him a tad more licence to drift forward when we're in attack; he probably has that already. Just let him charge down the fat side and be a target near the 50m line. If it just so happened that Stack was on the other HBF, he could do the same.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Simple truth is, no-one would be in the least bit surprised if Short kicked 3 in a GF from 50m out.

I would, his record kicking goals from outside 50 is not that great.

He's the quarterback defensive player, good at running and distributing and that's about it. He can't win his own ball, doesn't take intercept marks, not a great tackler or one on one defender. That's fine, that's his role and he's good at that. With his lack of defensive pressure he'll never be a winger or a forward in the current Richmond team.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I would, his record kicking goals from outside 50 is not that great.

He's the quarterback defensive player, good at running and distributing and that's about it. He can't win his own ball, doesn't take intercept marks, not a great tackler or one on one defender. That's fine, that's his role and he's good at that. With his lack of defensive pressure he'll never be a winger or a forward in the current Richmond team.

Contested ball and intercepting is not his one wood, clearly, but he has improved a lot there, and it is no longer a significant weakness. For context, this year he's averaging more contested possessions than Broad, Vlossy or Grimes, (and Castagna), and in probably his biggest weakness (intercept possessions) he's equal to Broad (at 4 a game).

When you consider how far and away above those other players he is in attacking attributes, and that those traits aren't the focus of his role, that's pretty impressive.

You're probably right that he wouldn't fit the mold as a prototype Richmond forward, but it's not right to say he can't win his own ball. This year, he does it more frequently than most of our defenders even though his job is to get on the outside.

It takes a while for preconceptions of a player to change one they're set, but he has had a brilliant year.

Reactions: 5 users
Feb 25, 2007
Just saw the injury report.
Vlastuin will play on Tuesday.
Caddy likely to play against Port next Saturday.
Houli as we know we play against GC
Nank coming along well, i wouldn't at all be surprised if he lines up against the Bombers on Aug 22nd.

Dion is slightly behind Nank. Astbury by what i read not coming along to well so guess anything from 2-4 weeks at a minimum.

For the full report here's the link.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Hope we smash Brisbane and derail their season.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Just saw the injury report.
Vlastuin will play on Tuesday.
Caddy likely to play against Port next Saturday.
Houli as we know we play against GC
Nank coming along well, i wouldn't at all be surprised if he lines up against the Bombers on Aug 22nd.

Dion is slightly behind Nank. Astbury by what i read not coming along to well so guess anything from 2-4 weeks at a minimum.

For the full report here's the link.

And when is the baby coming?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Put it this way. At this stage we can cover any of Vlossy, Dave, Broad and Grimes more easily than we can cover Short. And we have this year.

People will get grumpy at that statement, but Short is elite at what he does, and we don't have others to cover his role.

Grimes is maybe the most exceptional out of our key defenders, and probably irreplaceable.
I reckon Houli could cover Short's role.

Reactions: 1 user

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
Injury report wasn't positive about Astbury's progress so might be a while off yet.
Thats a worry, we need him fit & this injury is showing some bad signs. Without him, & Rance gone - players like Hawkins, Kennedy & J.Cameron could really become an big problem

tigers1980

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 24, 2012
Thats a worry, we need him fit & this injury is showing some bad signs. Without him, & Rance gone - players like Hawkins, Kennedy & J.Cameron could really become an big problem
Stop the ball from getting down there and it shouldn't be a problem. Besides we have a bloke called Balta who can more than do the job.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Stack out (hard out because he needs to get his confidence back) Flossy in.
Baker to move fwd if we need more crumbing power, or remain back if we need more link between the half back line and middle.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yeah I reckon few are under selling Shorts value to the team. His distribution from the backline is first class.

Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Giving credit where its due ,

Short seems to have improved in those areas that were seen as his weakness , not suggesting he is elite at tackling , competing etc ,

But the weakness doesnt seem as glaringly obvious now as it did IMO

Reactions: 5 users