Changes V Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Lions

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
[/QUOTE]
It will be Vlas for Stack.

If Astbury comes back, it gets a little trickier.

I reckon Stack will stay in. I think someone pointed out he had the most pressure plays of the entire team, as well as the most tackles with 7. He clearly came in as a direct replacement to Rioli and even though he did stuff all damage with the ball, we all know those are the stats that Dimma will look at most.

Im with the Vloss for K-Mac if injury is a concern, even if its not - it might be the call they make anyway, sighting a "rest". If not you would think it might be between Eggs or Markov - both have good arguments to keep their spot though. Markov did well in his first game for the year & the "anti-yo-yo" theory could apply - Eggs had the 2nd highest metres gained for us, just below Short. Those 2 provided an immense amount of run coming out the back flanks & work well together. The Lions are a good pressure team though so the question would be if Eggs can handle that - guess it could be a good time to find out if the kid is "finals" material yet. We dont want to make the same mistake we did with Short in 2018 - I think he was 1 year off being ready for finals and it cost us V Collingwood.

The other smokey out might be Higgins. Probably due a rest - its been a big effort for him to come back from brain surgery and play this much.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Reckon more than 1 change due to the number of games. Getting through this period is going to be just as much about player management and rotation as anything else for all clubs.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Better off dropping McIntosh and playing one of them in his spot.
Short, Grimes, Broad, Flossy, Dave and Houli have, for the last three years been selected every time they're fit.

Short is an absolute certainty as much as any of them are.

He plays a different role, and is elite at it. Clearly our best running defender. Probably our most consistent player this year, even when everyone else was poor.

This year he is statistically the best player in the squad, including midfielders, in terms of all of getting the ball, using the ball, and covering distance with the ball. He has also gathered the most contested possessions of any of our defenders.

There is a zero percent chance he is replaced outside of management or injuries.

FWIW 8 into 7 does go when you have players with versatility and a bench.

I'd play Baker in the midfield, and he played forward in the VFL for a year. Balta just fits into the defensive rotations.

Houli may find it hard considering lack of match fitness and age, but was playing beautifully earlier in the year.

Don't you just love our embarrassment of riches with our backs!! With the 8 into 7 scenario I reckon you could slot Broad onto the wing as he has the tank and the will to work all day.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I reckon Stack will stay in. I think someone pointed out he had the most pressure plays of the entire team, as well as the most tackles with 7. He clearly came in as a direct replacement to Rioli and even though he did stuff all damage with the ball, we all know those are the stats that Dimma will look at most.

Im with the Vloss for K-Mac if injury is a concern, even if its not - it might be the call they make anyway, sighting a "rest". If not you would think it might be between Eggs or Markov - both have good arguments to keep their spot though. Markov did well in his first game for the year & the "anti-yo-yo" theory could apply - Eggs had the 2nd highest metres gained for us, just below Short. Those 2 provided an immense amount of run coming out the back flanks & work well together. The Lions are a good pressure team though so the question would be if Eggs can handle that - guess it could be a good time to find out if the kid is "finals" material yet. We dont want to make the same mistake we did with Short in 2018 - I think he was 1 year off being ready for finals and it cost us V Collingwood.

The other smokey out might be Higgins. Probably due a rest - its been a big effort for him to come back from brain surgery and play this much.
[/QUOTE]

Higlet and kmac vip to how we play atm.

Stackman i reckon the club think

'Hes short or form and confidence and fitness but hes not gonna get those in a melbourne jumper in a scratch match so play him in the 1s so we have an elite football talent in our side come finals"

So,

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Don't you just love our embarrassment of riches with our backs!! With the 8 into 7 scenario I reckon you could slot Broad onto the wing as he has the tank and the will to work all day.

I know that Broad is one of the best runners at the club but not a wingman IMO, when Rance was at the club he commented that having Broad do what he does in the backline enabled him to get off his man and cover for others, it would be similar with Grimes and Vlaus. No need to mess with a strength.
Plenty of other options for wing and for what it is worth i reckon Kmac does a power of work and is a disruptor of opposition ball movement with his work ethic even if it doesn't show in the stats.
Of course if Prestia and Shedda get back then he becomes vulnerable as more magnets can be moved.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Plenty of other options for wing and for what it is worth i reckon Kmac does a power of work and is a disruptor of opposition ball movement with his work ethic even if it doesn't show in the stats.
Of course if Prestia and Shedda get back then he becomes vulnerable as more magnets can be moved.

I think the discussion was around who would you drop out of Short, Grimes, Broad, Flossy, Dave, Houli, Baker, Balta if only 7 could play. The suggestion was maybe KMac could be dropped to allow them all to play. In this scenario Broad to me looks like the most obvious choice. If you then do add Prestia, Sheds, Caddy coming back it's hard to see KMac maintaining his place in the side. Will be a lot of tough decisions need to be made in the latter part of the season (knock on wood with no more injuries).

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
I think the discussion was around who would you drop out of Short, Grimes, Broad, Flossy, Dave, Houli, Baker, Balta if only 7 could play. The suggestion was maybe KMac could be dropped to allow them all to play. In this scenario Broad to me looks like the most obvious choice. If you then do add Prestia, Sheds, Caddy coming back it's hard to see KMac maintaining his place in the side. Will be a lot of tough decisions need to be made in the latter part of the season (knock on wood with no more injuries).

Maybe a scenario where Vlaustin & Broad rotate from back to Mid/Wing? The Lions midfield is definitely a bit more brutal than the Dogs so a bigger bodied option to thrown in the mix could be likely considering the current lot of outs - see no chance of RCD coming in this week - surely you would do that on a softer game

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
With Eggs playing well in the back half and appearing to be defensivly better then Short , as well as the return of Houli , could Short be a wing option ? certainly be dangerous running forward and bombing goals from 60

Reactions: 2 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Maybe a scenario where Vlaustin & Broad rotate from back to Mid/Wing? The Lions midfield is definitely a bit more brutal than the Dogs so a bigger bodied option to thrown in the mix could be likely considering the current lot of outs - see no chance of RCD coming in this week - surely you would do that on a softer game
Depends on the form line of GC I think

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Short, Grimes, Broad, Flossy, Dave and Houli have, for the last three years been selected every time they're fit.

Short is an absolute certainty as much as any of them are.

He plays a different role, and is elite at it. Clearly our best running defender. Probably our most consistent player this year, even when everyone else was poor.

This year he is statistically the best player in the squad, including midfielders, in terms of all of getting the ball, using the ball, and covering distance with the ball. He has also gathered the most contested possessions of any of our defenders.

There is a zero percent chance he is replaced outside of management or injuries.

FWIW 8 into 7 does go when you have players with versatility and a bench.

I'd play Baker in the midfield, and he played forward in the VFL for a year. Balta just fits into the defensive rotations.

Houli may find it hard considering lack of match fitness and age, but was playing beautifully earlier in the year.
my post wasnt meant to be a dig at Short at all.
i agree he doesnt deserve to be dropped, but i would have him behind Grimes, Broad, Flossy, Dave and Houli in the pecking order, and from Hardwick said Balta is a certainty to play. that leaves Short competing with Baker for the last spot in the back line.

they may move one to play up field, but Hardwicks history suggests if they do that, that player wont spend much time in the back line, unless we are struggling, so if it is either Short or Baker, they will need to earn their place as a mid or forward.

Having said that, chances are injuries will continue, and there is certainly no guarantee Houli will regain and maintain his fitness.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
my post wasnt meant to be a dig at Short at all.
i agree he doesnt deserve to be dropped, but i would have him behind Grimes, Broad, Flossy, Dave and Houli in the pecking order, and from Hardwick said Balta is a certainty to play. that leaves Short competing with Baker for the last spot in the back line.

they may move one to play up field, but Hardwicks history suggests if they do that, that player wont spend much time in the back line, unless we are struggling, so if it is either Short or Baker, they will need to earn their place as a mid or forward.

Having said that, chances are injuries will continue, and there is certainly no guarantee Houli will regain and maintain his fitness.

Yep, and I was suggesting he's not behind any of those you mentioned in the pecking order, he just plays a different (and equally difficult /important) role to most of them.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Put it this way. At this stage we can cover any of Vlossy, Dave, Broad and Grimes more easily than we can cover Short. And we have this year.

People will get grumpy at that statement, but Short is elite at what he does, and we don't have others to cover his role.

Grimes is maybe the most exceptional out of our key defenders, and probably irreplaceable.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Big game. We need our best available/fit team.
Need to give Brisvegas a slap and remind them that the Tiger is awakening.

In - Vlas
Out - some unlucky bugger