Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round

Macca, Pickett, Grimes, Short ,Dow, Banks and Taranto on notice need alot more from him.

That's a good team on paper. Plenty of youth in there. A good balance. You may have to fit Young in there as well.
I think that’s half the problem. Is what looks good on paper, doesn’t perform well on the park. Reputations are irrelevant now. Macca and Pickett got 9 and 11 possies respectively yesterday, from senior seasoned players, on a blood wing. That’s fair dinkum pathetic.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't have Mansell, Baker and Martin in the fwd line. Way too slow. Port were walking it out of their defence. Cumberland and DRioli to the fwd line please. With Dow and Banks we were 2 players down. Broad and Young should be back.

Broad....Young....Vlastuin
Trezise....Miller....Baker
Short....Taranto....Campbell
Sonsie.....Balta.....Rioli
Martin.....Lynch...Cumbo
Nank....Ross......Bolton
Brown....MacAuliffe..Clarke..Pickett...Lefau

Outs: Lefau, Banks, Dow (one of pickett or macca should be dropped but we know it ant gonna happen even with a new coach and assistants.
I think Tresize will make way also, nothing he did wrong but with Broad and Young returning one back has to go.
Back 7, Young, Broad, Grimes, Brown, Vlustuin, Short, Rioli (miller stays just gives us a bit more flexibility back or forward or chop out in the ruck).

Ins: McAuliffe, Sonsie, Young, Broad (will Junior come back in considering he was a late out).

Would like to see Clarke stay in thought he looked lively with limited game time once he came on.. I would also like to see Cumbo come in, Surely his output would be more than what Lefau put out but I don't think the match committee will make more than 4 changes, will just have to bide his time.

Last edited:
Balta just gotta go back. Just aint a forward. Look at yesterdays game Charlie Finny & The Marshall had a day at the picnic races. Leave Young in the twos as Miller is a mile ahead of him. Pickett cooked so Clark who has footy smarts would be a good replacement. Bloods aint going to show us any mercy .

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Got to keep an eye on performance which given our situation inevitably means there are going to be more of the new and less of the old. Plus a recognition that there can be no telling improvement until we inject some speed into the midfield.

In: Broad Cumberland McAuliffe Sonsie and Young.
Out: Banks Clarke Dow Grimes and McIntosh.

B Vlastuin Miller Young*
HB Short Broad* Brown
C Pickett Rioli Trezise
HF Mansell Balta Sonsie*
F Cumberland* Lynch Martin
R Nankervis Bolton Baker
I/C Campbell Lefau McAuliffe* Ross and Taranto

Last edited:
Miller must stay in. Thought he was fantastic. Have him ahead of Young
Fantastic might be a slight exaggeration- he had a pretty ordinary opponent most of the day. but he definitely needs to stay in. And play full back.

There’s the obvious list holes , however in someways this list could be a blessing for Yze’s first year and how it sets attitude up going forward. We’ve got a few premiership players earning their spot , however each game they play is one less a cub gets a chance , a few of these cubs don’t look like they are worth a chance at this point , this list needs an overhaul our superstars are no longer superstars our ever reliables are no longer so reliable , I’m not far off wanting to see a very new look team , quote G Ayres , I want to see the Trezises , Sonsie’s McAuliffe’s in the 22 each week , love to see the Millers and Ross’s continue yesterdays form and get a run of games in those roles at senior level , the Ryans and Riolis time is now , if not showing a hell of a lot more by seasons end , move on from them , both look miles away from been Premiership players . Not sure where Yze goes from here , however I like how he is ticking to his guns under adversity .

Reactions: 1 users
The problem with wholesale changes, which we've already been forced into, is there's no continuity and connection between the players is difficult. Five ins/outs is a quarter of the team - not to say a case can't be made for that many changes - but turning over five or six players every week makes it really difficult to win against anyone, let alone Sydney.

Wouldn't be surprised if we only see a couple of changes, maybe Broad and Young returning. I'd like to see a couple of positional changes for our senior players to see if that can rekindle something. A few of them look like their minds are elsewhere on occasion this season.

Fantastic might be a slight exaggeration- he had a pretty ordinary opponent most of the day. but he definitely needs to stay in. And play full back.
Thought he played his role extremely well. Kept his opponent who may not be the greatest extremely quite and ineffective. We have had many duds in the past become world beaters in those games. His one on one work is superior to Young's.

I think our biggest issue this year is going to be consistency from our senior players. They seem to be going from premiership quality to retirement each week. Vloss was elite last week and delist material this week. That doesn't help the younger guys coming through trying to establish their own games

My thoughts on the kids 24 and under yesterday (apart from Balta who has played a heap more games).
Ross ✅
Mansell ✅
Campbell ✅
Brown ✅
Trezise ✅
Miller ✅
Dow ❌
Banks ❌
Juddy ➖ (not enough game time).

Unfortunately for Brown and Trezise, through no fault of their own, you’d have to think make way for Broad and Young. Dow has had 2 awful games now, with the Carlton game being only ok. Would love to see McAuliffe come in for him, but will the coaches want to make a lot of changes again? Can see Maurice retaking his place in the 22 (based on Yze’s comments post game).
So, in - Broad, Young, Maurice, McAuliffe (HOPEFULLY)
Out - Brown, Trezise, Lefau, Dow.

I feel like they won’t pull the trigger on Dow though, they have talked him up all pre season 🙄

There’s the obvious list holes , however in someways this list could be a blessing for Yze’s first year and how it sets attitude up going forward. We’ve got a few premiership players earning their spot , however each game they play is one less a cub gets a chance , a few of these cubs don’t look like they are worth a chance at this point , this list needs an overhaul our superstars are no longer superstars our ever reliables are no longer so reliable , I’m not far off wanting to see a very new look team , quote G Ayres , I want to see the Trezises , Sonsie’s McAuliffe’s in the 22 each week , love to see the Millers and Ross’s continue yesterdays form and get a run of games in those roles at senior level , the Ryans and Riolis time is now , if not showing a hell of a lot more by seasons end , move on from them , both look miles away from been Premiership players . Not sure where Yze goes from here , however I like how he is ticking to his guns under adversity .
We could do that Mr B, but be prepared for some WC and #lolnorf style thrashings if we do.

It takes several years to knit together a solid, sound defensive unit.
Astbury was 26 when he won his first premiership.
It will take a few years for the cubs to improve.
Even our greatest players made pressure errors in the early years.