Changes vs Fremantle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes vs Fremantle

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I do know what I mean.

You want to test Balta forward this year because we have no talls, but knowing that his best position is probably in defence so he will most likely play the bulk of his career in defence. This is a short term move based on lack of personnel.

I acknowledge that his best footy is played as a backman, he's a natural backman and doesn't appear to be anywhere near as natural when played forward, so its the better long term solution to keep him back and have the entire defensive group gain more and more understanding of each others games.

Thats the long game vs the short game.

You think you want to play the long game but are actually playing the short game.

I don’t know and you don’t know where his best position is. You are speculating despite the pretty good fist he made of forward play in last years preseason.

All I am saying is that we would have a clearer picture if he plays forward for the remainder of the year. And you can stick your short game up your jumper. I am looking beyond this year as you clearly didn’t when you argued last year for the trade of what was then our future 1st rounder.

It is entirely speculative to assume we can now pull first rate tall forwards away to join us. As things have turned out for us the cost benefit of trying Noah there this year is strong in its favour.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don’t know and you don’t know where his best position is. You are speculating despite the pretty good fist he made of forward play in last years preseason.

All I am saying is that we would have a clearer picture if he plays forward for the remainder of the year. And you can stick your short game up your jumper. I am looking beyond this year as you clearly didn’t when you argued last year for the trade of what was then our future 1st rounder.

It is entirely speculative to assume we can now pull first rate tall forwards away to join us. As things now stand, the cost benefit of trying Noah there this year, is strong in its favour.

I know where it is. CHB or FB. Failing that second ruck in an emergency.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Balta is settled. 9th for intercepts in the league, 8th for contested marks. Don't have stats on me but likely top 4 or 5 for contested intercept marks. Pivotal atm and keeping our backline functioning the way it is.
He's joint 2nd for intercept marks. Same as Darcy Moore, only behind Charlie Ballard.

These two posts make the same good point. He is doing very well. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Like it or not the facts are that due to injury to Lynch and a failure by recruiting staff in the 21 draft, our forward line since the Lynch injury has been hopeless.
It is broken and needs fixing for next year but without the use of our first round pick, which of course was traded at the end of last season.

We can’t get by again, without some pain.
Any player manager will see just how desperate our need is and inflate the price for a free agent, or advance an even heftier price for a player who is about to become a free agent.

No good having a good back line unless we have forwards and mids who can keep it in. We haven't had that this year and we won’t have it next without some pretty costly trading, which is very difficult for any club to swallow and may not be possible even then.

Our back line is our strength but my belief is that we may have to give up a little to keep the rest of the side competitive and, after the example of our recently departed coach, that it is best to try and address this issue this year, rather than just put it off.

• Love

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
True, but I think that development will only occur if he plays in a settled, functioning backline.

To me, Balta is part of that backline, especially with Gibcus out, Grimes now injured as well, and Miller very inconsistent.

If Grimes is out I'd imagine that Vlossy would return if fit, I'd also like to see Biggy get a run as an interchange. His versatility is far greater than Miller imo.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
These two posts make the same good point. He is doing very well. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Like it or not the facts are that due to injury to Lynch and a failure by recruiting staff in the 21 draft, our forward line since the Lynch injury has been hopeless.
It is broken and needs fixing for next year but without the use of our first round pick, which of course was traded at the end of last season.

We can’t get by again, without some pain.
Any player manager will see just how desperate our need is and inflate the price for a free agent, or advance an even heftier price for a player who is about to become a free agent.

No good having a good back line unless we have forwards and mids who can keep it in. We haven't had that this year and we won’t have it next without some pretty costly trading, which is very difficult for any club to swallow and may not be possible even then.

Our back line is our strength but my belief is that we may have to give up a little to keep the rest of the side competitive and, after the example of our recently departed coach, that it is best to try and address this issue this year, rather than just put it off.
That's the crux of it, we have very little up and coming in the tall forward department. I don't think looking forward that our backline (talls) is as much of a strength at it seems now. Without Balta, we have Tarrant 34 yo (done imo), Grimes 31yo, Broad 30yo all startups. Then we have as potentials Gibcus (great potential), Miller (not quite up to it imo), Nyuon (potential but has only played 1 game at 22), Young (still not sold on him but does ok as the 4th tall, how would he do with greater responsibility) and Bauer (recruited as a forward but hasn't played a game). For me, of the potentials, Gibcus is the only 1 I am confident will definitely make it.

The reality is we won't be a great side for the next few years, I'd be keeping Balta as the general down back and doing all we can to find a natural tall forward over the next few years. We can't afford to give up all our draft picks year after year. Taranto and Hopper are great players but that has just helped keep status quo. In footy there are peaks and troughs and at some stage you have to bite the bullet and do the hard yards otherwise you can end up in very deep troughs.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
If Grimes is out I'd imagine that Vlossy would return if fit, I'd also like to see Biggy get a run as an interchange. His versatility is far greater than Miller imo.

I must admit I’d like to see Biggy get more game time.

It is just fitting him in at the moment.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah I agree.

As others have posted our defence is functioning very well at the moment and will only improve with the inclusion of Vlaustin.
So I would think this is the perfect opportunity for Gibcus to be trialled as a forward. He will probably need a month at VFL level anyway so why not give him the freedom of running around up forward, with the aim of him replacing Jack next year.

A forward line of Lynch, Gibcus and Sampson has the potential to be very damaging IMO
Would certainly prefer this option over removing Balta from defence. Balta's a lynch pin you build a defence around.
Gibber has only just started his career and already been thrown forward once or twice to see what happens, so the thinking is there's perhaps a more flexible option available if wanted.

Lynchman, Samsung, Bauer n Bradtke are all still strong possibilities for key forward structure next year, sky hasn't quite caved in just yet.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’d imagine no changes , however this is the season defining game for me , win and we are back in the finals race , lose and I’d say it’s time to start blooding a few cubs and seeing if a few can be reinvented , got to get something out of this *smile* year

Webbie26

Tiger Rookie
May 17, 2023
I get a feeling we may play biggie forward this week just gut feel no info

Tigga94

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2023
Wonder if Young goes forward with Vlaustin in. Do we need all of them in the backline.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Loving that Mcqualter dropped Ralphsmith.

First sign that we might be placing a higher premium on footballers that can actually play.

Reactions: 1 user

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Just give Banks a game FFS ! Rather we see him than Ralphsmith being in and out of the team

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Wonder if Young goes forward with Vlaustin in. Do we need all of them in the backline.
Hugo who played half back was dropped for Tigga, there is no way Young goes forward IMO.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Unbelievably our side is on average 3 years 4 months older PER player than Freo. We are playing only 1 of our 17 youngest players on the list. Freo have around 6 or 7. Not really sure where we're heading.

Reactions: 4 users