China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

Not so sure this is a bad thing. Good for the environment long term if they are using less. But the trend is if they can get it somewhere else and no pressure on supply they will ban or restrict us. We need to do more trade with India and Japan to counter this.
The Chinese are still building coal fired power stations so they need more coal. They are already increasing their thermal imports from Russia and Indonesia to cover what they aren't/wont be getting from Australia.
Now they've also started to ban coking coal imports so again will go elsewhere - domestic supply, Indonesia again, South Africa.
Higher sulphur and higher ash content so certainly not good for the environment at all.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

This is so frustrating. China showing no goodwill.

Perhaps we can stop the supply of iron ore for a month.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

This is so frustrating. China showing no goodwill.

Perhaps we can stop the supply of iron ore for a month.
Even though their steel output is currently down they have been shipping in iron ore at record levels. They'll have huge stockpiles by now. I suspect we're going to see them stop our exports for a period and just start blending in from Brazil and domestic supplies.
We have no arrows left in our quiver.
Tradewise they've got us by the nads.
Canberra really need to start working out what the cost is of repairing this as otherwise the COVID-19 economic downturn is going to turn into something much worse.

Last edited:

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
China continuing its attack on Australia.

Placing huge tariffs on a wine industry costing over 1 Billion dollars.

-We have got to stand our ground.
-Find new partners.
-Fire back with our own cuts.
-Just like a bully you can’t let them continuing to bully you and not fight back. To just roll over and accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

-Find new partners.
-Just like a bully you can’t let them continuing to bully you and not fight back. To just roll over and accept it.
It’s very sad. They are playing so many games are the bully boys. Iron is our only lever against them.

Closer ties to India and Japan is a must.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
It’s very sad. They are playing so many games are the bully boys. Iron is our only lever against them.

Closer ties to India and Japan is a must.
And anyone else in the Asian region just to *smile* them off more.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Individuals, groups or countries the actions of a bully are basically cut from the same cloth.
They are actually a bit pathetic.
It will hurt us for sure but I suspect in the long run to just bend over will hurt us more.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

-Find new partners.
Those points are all must dos but I wonder how many Australians are going to be willing to wear the pain that will come with that process.
The trade relationship with China is weighted (still) so far in our favour that any cuts we do against imports from China will have virtually zero effect.
Will they really care if we don't take a few "MG" cars or some shoddy electronic goods? We're a small market and we don't really count.
There's no market or combination of markets that can replace China now or will develop to that stage within the next 10-15 years.
As a nation we put all our eggs in one basket and developed enormous export businesses based on that one basket.
Lots of people are going to end up unemployed and stay that way for a long time.
We need to start looking at areas where we have a natural advantage - rare earths, uranium, thorium, hydrogen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Now that Trump is out, let's hope Morrison doesn't go off half cocked against one of our largest and most important trading partners to get some love from Trump and instead lets the diplomats do what they are there to do.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
A domestic wine and lobster glut straight after a premiership

Is pretty fortuitous.

Ask not what your country can do for you

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Didn't Morrison himself say before the report was released that it would shock people and our enemies would seek to use it against us? There's no ambiguity about how China is positioning itself of late.

Morrison made a mistake in not ensuring the report and its ramifications were kept in-house. This was not a "need to know" issue for the public.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Morrison tells the world that he's told Twitter to remove the image.
Twitter will tell him to take a running jump at himself.
The CCP will then be able to state "Look Twitter thinks this is a valid image"
Morrison needs to stop telegraphing every move.
You don't win an argument with a petulant teenager by screaming back at them.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I wonder if the Australian Universities currently in bed with the CCP will distance themselves. I doubt it.

• Angry

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
So, they complain their feelings are hurt because we had the temerity to call for an independent inquiry about COVID-19. They tell us to stop “ interfering” in their National matters ( off the top of my head COVID-19, Hong Kong , human rights abuses of the uyghur minority, their unlawful takeover of areas of the South China Sea, ). They retaliate by illegally imposing tariffs on our goods in violation of our free trade agree, imprison our citizens on trumped up charges and no trial and to cap it off, a government official has to produce an obviously faked photo to “ highlight” our human rights abuses. The CCP is a pack of hypocritical *smile*.
Australia
India
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Great Britain
Brunei
Indonesia
Malaysia
Japan
Philipines
Usa
Canada
Tibet

Those are countries just off the top of my head that has “ angered” China , ranging From the trivial to major. I’m sure there are other countries but the common denominator is the CCP. But it is everyone else’s fault and they must bow to them
*smile*

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
So, they complain their feelings are hurt because we had the temerity to call for an independent inquiry about COVID-19. They tell us to stop “ interfering” in their National matters ( off the top of my head COVID-19, Hong Kong , human rights abuses of the uyghur minority, their unlawful takeover of areas of the South China Sea, ). They retaliate by illegally imposing tariffs on our goods in violation of our free trade agree, imprison our citizens on trumped up charges and no trial and to cap it off, a government official has to produce an obviously faked photo to “ highlight” our human rights abuses. The CCP is a pack of hypocritical *smile*.
Australia
India
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Great Britain
Brunei
Indonesia
Malaysia
Japan
Philipines
Usa
Canada
Tibet

Those are countries just off the top of my head that has “ angered” China , ranging From the trivial to major. I’m sure there are other countries but the common denominator is the CCP. But it is everyone else’s fault and they must bow to them
*smile*
They seem desperate to draw the attention of their citizens away from something. Lashing out in all directions, tantrums galore, threats, slurs etc.

• Angry