Chris Newman [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Newman [Merged]

Re: Newman

gustiger12 said:
Disco08 said:
Deledio says hi.

Rmour is that Casserly makes Lids like a school boy kick (and thats saying something)
You say that Gus but I dunno about that.
There was one piece of play half way through the 3/4 on Saturday where Lids had two bounces at full tilt and hit Richo lace out from 50m meters away.
I reckon Lid's kicking has improved of late. 8)

Tigers of Old said:
There was one piece of play half way through the 3/4 on Saturday where Lids had two bounces at full tilt and hit Richo lace out from 50m meters away.

his kicking or his confidence? ;)

LidsandBling said:
Tigers of Old said:

Perhaps L&B.
Definitely looks a lot more confident at the moment doesn't he.
He did go through a patch where he was spraying his kicks on the run but he's hitting plenty of targets of late.

Tigers of Old said:
LidsandBling said:
Tigers of Old said:

Perhaps L&B.
Definitely looks a lot more confident at the moment doesn't he.
He did go through a patch where he was spraying his kicks on the run but he's hitting plenty of targets of late.
and kicking more goals.
he is really REALLY stepping up to plate

When will Casserly make his move? i know nothing about him, whats the kids deal?
Gus, you could not have been serious with that school boy comment. .
Tivva is a better kick than Deledio!! Tivva is an awesome kick when he is on!! Just like a Greg Norman in Golf.

Dyer'ere said:
Whilst I don't outright bag him on PRE, I haven't believed Newman for years. The thing I have always distrusted about the player is his endeavour.

He's not a shirker. That's not what I'm saying. But he just doesn't take enough risks IMO. Risks in the air. Risks on the ground. Risks with the ball. Sure, it takes all kinds. Maybe he's just a conservative player. But he leaks pretty bad for a conservative player.

IMO Newman plays the game at 90% of full bore. Always keeps his feet (often under-commits to do so IMO), would rather use the ball sideways than take them on to break a line and kick long and down the guts.

Newman made an inspired run in the International game year before last. Never looks inspired when he plays for Richmond. Before his injury of 2006, when was the last time he made any kind of long chase in an AFL game? Mister 90%.

Once he broke the leg I'd pretty much written him off. Blokes don't come up from these in a hurry. I blindly expected that Newman would come back 90% of a lesser player. And that that just wouldn't be good enough.

But Newman has been in career best form for weeks now. He still gets chopped up from time to time. But less often. And there have been times when he's looked desperate on the park.

Those two chases from Newman on the weekend were inspired. He sent the ball inside fifty aggressively (and accurately) ran through the lines and picked harder targets by hand and foot.

Maybe he was hyped because Richo was setting the world on fire. Maybe.

But I reckon that injury has made a big difference to Newman. I reckon he might have figured that you only get so many chances to give it everything you've got. Maybe 90% isn't good enough for him any more.

He has always played with heart and feel for the team. He is a true clubman and a player any team would want in their side.

He uses it sideways because thats the way the play is structured, you cant just bang it long, it will come back at you twice as fast. Especially with the amount of players the opposition have floating down half back.

He keeps his feet because he under commits? Smart players keep their feet, its one of those rules on the board before you run out..."rule 1. You go to ground, we are one man down."

Maybe you have been looking at his body language too closely and made a bad judgement? Because from what I see, he is always ready to go. Your entitled to your opinion, but when Chris Newman has been one of very few players to play like he does, its just hard to grasp how you make those judgements.

lamb22 said:
Bengal said:
Your all on recreational party drugs.
He is solid and consistent and a better kick than Gilbee..(maybe a little far, but he is one of our best kicks).
Commentators always mention how good of a player Newmo is and he was selected for the Gay-lick footy!
Trade bait, NO WAY! Wallace should look to move him onto a wing or as an attacking Half Back Flank/wing..

Spot on Bengal - best kick at Richmond by a .................mile. Posters moan about skills and then want to trade the best kick. :spin just loopy!!
Haven’t done recreationals for yonks!

Newman can certainly play, hence the reason to POTENTIALLY trade him. People thinking they can trade deadbeats for 1st and 2nd rounders are bonkers. Currently Newman is a 25 year old back pocket player with good skills. Is he going to be the strong leader of our club? A potential Captain given the dearth of quality in his bracket? I don’t know?!

IMO we are still a long way off and Newman will be 26 next year. His value will peak this year or next and unless he can prove a move into the middle in the 2nd half of the year then I say offer for trade. See what’s biting? It’s nearing now or never stage.

A scenario; We finish last and still have all 1st round picks - it might be worth offering Newman for a potential ruckman/KPP pressuring a club (ala Fremantle / Simmonds) otherwise we will pick them up for free in the pre-season draft. Then in the pre-season draft we can throw money at another player we also want. We could potentially have two good players for the price of one. Would you trade Newman for another Simmonds and Sipowicz? Or even someone better?

I reckon it is worth opening your mind to loopy options, never know what might pop up.

Now, where are those reccies?

Watch him at centre bounces and stoppages generally. He seems to constantly leave his man alone. He plays on the backline and says to his opponent "I'm the defender you pick me up." Call me old fashioned but..

I'll be interested to see how he goes this week, mo. I reckon that last one was a watershed game.

We'll find out soon enough.

momentai said:
Watch him at centre bounces and stoppages generally. He seems to constantly leave his man alone. He plays on the backline and says to his opponent "I'm the defender you pick me up." Call me old fashioned but..

Chris got a lot of possessions being played as a loose man in the backline too though.

Elmer said:

Newman can certainly play, hence the reason to POTENTIALLY trade him. People thinking they can trade deadbeats for 1st and 2nd rounders are bonkers. Currently Newman is a 25 year old back pocket player with good skills. Is he going to be the strong leader of our club? A potential Captain given the dearth of quality in his bracket? I don’t know?!

IMO we are still a long way off and Newman will be 26 next year. His value will peak this year or next and unless he can prove a move into the middle in the 2nd half of the year then I say offer for trade. See what’s biting? It’s nearing now or never stage.

A scenario; We finish last and still have all 1st round picks - it might be worth offering Newman for a potential ruckman/KPP pressuring a club (ala Fremantle / Simmonds) otherwise we will pick them up for free in the pre-season draft. Then in the pre-season draft we can throw money at another player we also want. We could potentially have two good players for the price of one. Would you trade Newman for another Simmonds and Sipowicz? Or even someone better?

I reckon it is worth opening your mind to loopy options, never know what might pop up.

Don't believe you should trade good clubmen & Newman fits into that mould good footballer with Pace & skill plays for the jumper.

Intersting comments by Dyer'ere, I've never looked at things that way. If he was inspired by Richo and that accounts for his great game then I wouldn't be worried. It means that on Grand Final day he will lift just that much more, and isn't that the whole purpose of having players on your list? He's like an uphill skier by what you said earlier ;)

What would he be worth in a trade?

Maybe if Carlton get pick 1 we could trade Newman and pick 19 for pick 1? Unite Newmy and Fev, Blues still get young talent but probably save themselves the embarassment of another #1 pick falling in their lap..

hellenictiger said:
He has always played with heart and feel for the team.

I reckon he can give about ten percent more, ht. Like he did in the Esserden game. Hopefully the trend continues.

An experienced, youthful, handy flanker usually draws a second rounder, benny. Richard Cole and Nick Davis- very different types- each drew second rounders.

FWIW I don't think we'd trade him. But other than breaches of discipline there is one thing a player can do to put himself on the trade table and that is stagnate.

Elmer said:
lamb22 said:
Bengal said:
Your all on recreational party drugs.
He is solid and consistent and a better kick than Gilbee..(maybe a little far, but he is one of our best kicks).
Commentators always mention how good of a player Newmo is and he was selected for the Gay-lick footy!
Trade bait, NO WAY! Wallace should look to move him onto a wing or as an attacking Half Back Flank/wing..

Spot on Bengal - best kick at Richmond by a .................mile. Posters moan about skills and then want to trade the best kick. :spin just loopy!!

Ludicruois to even suggest trading Newman. IMO our best kick at the club next to Lids. In a club where half the list cant hit a barn door you dont trade your best user of the ball.

Tigers of Old said:

I was super impressed with his running and hitting targets at pace on the weekend. I agree that confidence plays a part and if that's what he can do with confidence, then I am excited about his future. He has great disposal skills.

Don't believe you should trade good clubmen & Newman fits into that mould good footballer with Pace & skill plays for the jumper.
(thats right, i dont know how to quote)

Agree Agree..

Only thing i'd sign for is Salopek for Newman!
(we all know this is a pipe dream however)

I dont think he is going any less than at his optimum. He is a smart player and knows what to do, he isnt like a Tuck who is like a bulldog, he uses his smarts, he knows when to go and when not to.

He is played as the free man down back and therefore clears the ball a hell of a lot down there. I dont think Wallace wants him to get too sucked in the play or on a man, because he is of more use when he has the ball, rather than maning up. I saw in the Geelong game his direct opponent was Gary Ablett jr, but he never picked him up, now anyone in their right mind would, but he has obviously been told to stay loose at half back. Once again evidence of Wallace using a player like Newman, Bowden or Deledio to create an attack from half back.