Chris Newman [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Newman [Merged]

Re: Chris Newman

The next number 17 at Punt Road, hands down.

Doesnt take a backward step, leads by example and puts his heart and soul into the club.

hellenictiger said:
Doesnt take a backward step, leads by example and puts his heart and soul into the club.

agree...Chris Newman Capt & Foley VC.

Skills said:
hellenictiger said:

agree...Chris Newman Capt & Foley VC.

Simmond - C
Newman VC

now that would be it for me.

Not sure how many watched him closely Sunday but in the first half Newman was on the resting one of either G Ablett or Chapman and was absolutely slaughtered.

jb03 said:
Not sure how many watched him closely Sunday but in the first half Newman was on the resting one of either G Ablett or Chapman and was absolutely slaughtered.
Wasn't a great game by Newman but we know he can play & he should get better.

Chris is, yet again, symptomatic of the RFC over the last 20 years. Like so many players he has plateaued at his level of standard and not become a VERY GOOD player. Just a somewhat "fairly good" player. I suppose the cliche is "he hasn't taken the next step" after being in the system for 6 (?) years.

I like Newman but he's somewhat deceiving. His disposal isn't what it should be (and can be) and he doesn't often run the lines (like he did in the International series against Ireland).

As I said he should become a second tier of the elite players (like a Simon Goodwin, not a top tier like Judd, Buckley, Voss etc) but again like so many of our players he probably won't fully develop to show his full ability on a regular, season to season basis, only in spurts.

And I understand he's coming back of an injury, I am talking about his career, not just this season.

Newman

Is Newman wasted in the back pocket?

I think he could be better used more up the ground either in a similar role to Tuck or as our run with player still has pace & real good skills could hurt the opposing sides on the rebound hit Richo lace out with a couple of great passes.

Re: Newman

i agree with momentai, he is struggling at the minute. terrible on saturday night

Newman is a great stopper. Get the job on the most dangerous small forward each week and does it well. He is a general in that backline, we have to keep him there.

LidsandBling said:
i agree with momentai, he is struggling at the minute. terrible on saturday night

I thought he has been playing pretty well & almost won us the game with that chase & tackle!!

Inspector said:
LidsandBling said:

I thought he has been playing pretty well & almost won us the game with that chase & tackle!!
Played a great game Sat night.

Newmo has returned well from injury, he is a good player, not a champ not a star but a good player and more honest and consistant performer than many others at the club.

I reckon Newman should start playing on the oppisitions main players like he should play on black this week