Chris Newman [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Newman [Merged]

Re: Newman

LidsandBling said:
i agree with momentai, he is struggling at the minute. terrible on saturday night

How can u think he is playin bad he was best on field on saturday

Jaybo231194 said:
LidsandBling said:
i agree with momentai, he is struggling at the minute. terrible on saturday night

How can u think he is playin bad he was best on field on saturday
does anyone have a spare fishing rod i could borrow, their really biting out there :hihi

Newman is def one of the most underrated players at the RFC... even in the league.

His skills are sublime, he's never caught with the ball, hardly ever commits clangers... I'm always confident when he's got the ball.

And to get back to his high level so quickly after a broken leg says it all. Top class player.

Funny that someone with so much dedication and poise can be best mates with Fevola. lol

It was his best game for the year. Has been towelled up by some opposition forwards this year but escapes scrutiny because he is one of the few Tiger players that looks composed when he has the ball (and has the skills to match).

His departure from the field on Saturday night was crucial in the outcome.

Really like this quote from Chris.

Newman, who racked up 21 possessions and 12 marks, says there is no room for self pity at Punt Road despite another heartbreaking defeat.

“That’s life. It’s reality at the moment and we just have to face up to it,” he said. “You deal with it as best you can. We didn’t expect to be in this position at this stage so all we can do is realise that we’re a young side and we’re developing and keep our heads up and stick together.

“There’s no room for blokes to put their head down at the moment. This should really burn and hurt inside. Hopefully it’s something that urges us on next week to get over the line and once we get in a winning position, nail it and win a game.”

Finally it seems we have Newman kicking out from FB on a regular basis.
He is forming an excellent combination with Polak from the kickins.
Terry is finally utilising our strengths in this area.

Tough game by Chris with few mistakes. :thumbsup

One of our most consistant players all year, in the best on Saturday night. He gives his and in the one on one's, he rarely gets beaten. Better played on the back flank where he is now, he isnt good against leading forwards.

Im pretty sure 20 out of 21 possies he had where spot on Saturday night.

Our next captain, always looks interested.

Whilst I don't outright bag him on PRE, I haven't believed Newman for years. The thing I have always distrusted about the player is his endeavour.

He's not a shirker. That's not what I'm saying. But he just doesn't take enough risks IMO. Risks in the air. Risks on the ground. Risks with the ball. Sure, it takes all kinds. Maybe he's just a conservative player. But he leaks pretty bad for a conservative player.

IMO Newman plays the game at 90% of full bore. Always keeps his feet (often under-commits to do so IMO), would rather use the ball sideways than take them on to break a line and kick long and down the guts.

Newman made an inspired run in the International game year before last. Never looks inspired when he plays for Richmond. Before his injury of 2006, when was the last time he made any kind of long chase in an AFL game? Mister 90%.

Once he broke the leg I'd pretty much written him off. Blokes don't come up from these in a hurry. I blindly expected that Newman would come back 90% of a lesser player. And that that just wouldn't be good enough.

But Newman has been in career best form for weeks now. He still gets chopped up from time to time. But less often. And there have been times when he's looked desperate on the park.

Those two chases from Newman on the weekend were inspired. He sent the ball inside fifty aggressively (and accurately) ran through the lines and picked harder targets by hand and foot.

Maybe he was hyped because Richo was setting the world on fire. Maybe.

But I reckon that injury has made a big difference to Newman. I reckon he might have figured that you only get so many chances to give it everything you've got. Maybe 90% isn't good enough for him any more.

Nice post Jack and interesting analysis.
Whilst I've always been an unabashed fan, you could be accurate.
There was a heck of a lot of urgency in Newman's game on Saturday.
Might well be looking at things from a different perspective also considering Browny's misfortune.

ToraToraTora said:
Trade bait.
I would be offering Newman as our no.1 trade bait. Happy for him to stay but he should have some currency. Something we are seriously lacking

Elmer said:
ToraToraTora said:
Trade bait.
I would be offering Newman as our no.1 trade bait. Happy for him to stay but he should have some currency. Something we are seriously lacking

Load of crap why offer someone who gives his heart for the team & can use the ball well I would trade Joel before Newman because of his negative footy Bowden looks to kick backwards before forwards that where the negative footy starts.

Elmer said:
ToraToraTora said:
Trade bait.

Love Newy.I must be missing something!

That was probably one of the best games he's ever played for us on Sat, and what would you give it, a 7? Borderline 8 maaaybe if generous. We've gotta get serious about getting a genuinely BETTER quality of player , a better all round quality of player EVERY YEAR and we need heaps of 'em. We are still about 12 players if not more off any serious challenge. If someone was gonna be part of deal this year or even next, Newman would be one of the few RFC players to attract any serious interest and losing him wouldn't hurt that much in the long term. My logic in a nutshell.

Inspector said:
Load of crap why offer someone who gives his heart for the team & can use the ball well I would trade Joel before Newman because of his negative footy Bowden looks to kick backwards before forwards that where the negative footy starts.
i agree plus newman is one of the few that can hit a taget by foot most of the time, we need more of his type not less

The thing about Newman is he is probably the best quality mid we have in that 23-28 yr old age bracket.

He's right now in his prime and if anything has some of his best football ahead of him.

He might be worth something but I doubt we'd let him go.