Christianity | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Christianity

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Sorry to hear about your Mum NV. I hope beautiful, treasured memories of her enrich and guide your life forever.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
All I'll say on the matter is if you're at a party and you want to stop it dead in it's tracks... bring up Politics or Religion. Are their any more polarising subjects than these two?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
All I'll say on the matter is if you're at a party and you want to stop it dead in it's tracks... bring up Politics or Religion. Are their any more polarising subjects than these two?

Followed by taboo subjects like mental illness, sexuality and watch the men run.....prostates. :rofl

I can handle them all except politics. :sleeping

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Maybe there is an afterlife, maybe there is not.

I know of quite a few people who are going to be extremely upset if there isn't one.

As for me, I'll just enjoy the time that I have here on earth. Whatever happens after,
Che Sera!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I’m of the firm belief that people should be able to practice whatever religion they want, as long as it doesn’t negatively impact on others, and as long as they don’t try and foist it on others. I personally am an atheist. I believe we walk the earth, do the best we can, treat others as we want to be treated, then its over. I personally don’t see any problem with that, people do live on, but only in the memories of those still living. I reckon the human obsession with life after death is based on our ego-centredness. People think they can’t possibly just end because they are the centre of their own universe.

I don’t deny that I hold a lot of values that are known as Christian, like ‘do unto others’, but I believe that those values were formed over centuries by community leaders trying to guide others to do the right thing, not some greying bearded bloke sitting in a cloud. Also, I accept that I might be wrong, if I ever see any evidence of gods existence, I’m willing to consider it on its merits.

As for this thread, and Jayfox’s comment about homosexuality being identified as a sin in the bible, that annoys the hell out of me. The bible says all kinds of strange things are sins. It says things like ‘if your wife runs away, pierce her ear with skewer so if she runs away again people will know she belongs to you’, and ‘if you have a bung eye, gauge it out’. The bible says a lot of weird kooky stuff, so if you adhere to the principle that ‘the bible says so’, you’re in for some strange times. My point is that Christians and Muslims of various pursuasions pick and choose what to abide by in their respective instruction manuals depending on expediency, pragmatism, politics, whatever.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
I’m of the firm belief that people should be able to practice whatever religion they want, as long as it doesn’t negatively impact on others, and as long as they don’t try and foist it on others. I personally am an atheist. I believe we walk the earth, do the best we can, treat others as we want to be treated, then its over. I personally don’t see any problem with that, people do live on, but only in the memories of those still living. I reckon the human obsession with life after death is based on our ego-centredness. People think they can’t possibly just end because they are the centre of their own universe.

I don’t deny that I hold a lot of values that are known as Christian, like ‘do unto others’, but I believe that those values were formed over centuries by community leaders trying to guide others to do the right thing, not some greying bearded bloke sitting in a cloud. Also, I accept that I might be wrong, if I ever see any evidence of gods existence, I’m willing to consider it on its merits.

As for this thread, and Jayfox’s comment about homosexuality being identified as a sin in the bible, that annoys the hell out of me. The bible says all kinds of strange things are sins. It says things like ‘if your wife runs away, pierce her ear with skewer so if she runs away again people will know she belongs to you’, and ‘if you have a bung eye, gauge it out’. The bible says a lot of weird kooky stuff, so if you adhere to the principle that ‘the bible says so’, you’re in for some strange times. My point is that Christians and Muslims of various pursuasions pick and choose what to abide by in their respective instruction manuals depending on expediency, pragmatism, politics, whatever.

Good post snake. The Bible needs to be updated. Everything else moves with the times. What was taboo thousands or even just a few years ago may now not be so.

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
Would you like me to run a poll on this, Rosy? Or maybe an on-line debate. I still have a couch and some soapboxes somewhere.................

Otis

Voodoo Child
Dec 24, 2004
Melbourne
jayfox said:
What I believe is that I am not perfect, just forgiven. And the only way to receive forgiveness, and eternal life, is if you belive that Jesus is God's son, who died on the cross and rose again on the third day to save us from our sins.

something that was hammered into me when i used to attend church youth-groups (back in the day) was that the only way to free yourself of sins and be "forgiven" is by going to confession and attending church services...

i'm going straight to hell   :-\

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
rosy said:
jayfox said:
And the only way to receive forgiveness, and eternal life, is if you belive that Jesus is God's son, who died on the cross and rose again on the third day to save us from our sins. ........

I get tempted every day and sometimes I fail and sometimes I don't but the wonderful assurance I have is that if I am truly sorry I am forgiven no matter what I have done. This assurance is open for anyone who chooses to put their faith in Christ.

I'm not an atheist, I've just never seen any evidence that God and Jesus exist. Maybe I haven't been tapped on the shoulder yet for some reason, who knows?

Hi Rosy, This is a very common question regarding peoples belief in God, so you are not alone in thinking this way. The way I look at it is this - God created people to have free will, i.e. to make entirely their own decisions in life. IF we want to believe in him we can, if we don't want to we dont have to but there are consequences to whatever decision we make. You will never get a literal "tap on the shoulder" as if God revealed himself in person to everyone, then everyone would believe and 'faith' would have nothing to do with it. He wants us to study it and make this decision ourselves. God doesn't want us to be robots either purely believing something because it is programmed into us, that's why he gave us a free will.
In talking about having never seen evidence that GOd exists an analogy I like to use is this - I have never seen the wind. I have seen the effects of the wind but I have never seen the wind. God is like that in my life. I have seen the absolutely amazing things that he has done in my life and therefore know in my heart that he exists.

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
rosy said:
I'm not meaning to open a can or worms here but pedophiles are the scum of the earth in my opinion. Would priests who stoop to such low acts do so because they know they can be remorseful, till the next time, and all will be forgiven by the God they believe in?

I agree Rosy that pedophiles are the scum of the Earth and if it was up to me I would annihilate them. However, if a pedophile was to truly repent and change his ways then God would forgive him. That is the absolutely amazing thing about God's grace. He will forgive us no matter what we have done and all we have to do is ask for it. We are never too far away from God for him to accept us. I also do not believe in paying pennance for sins as Jesus taught us in the New Testament that he had paid the penalty for our sins so it was no longer necessary.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
jayfox said:
rosy said:
I'm not meaning to open a can or worms here but pedophiles are the scum of the earth in my opinion.  Would priests who stoop to such low acts do so because they know they can be remorseful, till the next time, and all will be forgiven by the God they believe in?

I agree Rosy that pedophiles are the scum of the Earth and if it was up to me I would annihilate them. However, if a pedophile was to truly repent and change his ways then God would forgive him. That is the absolutely amazing thing about God's grace. He will forgive us no matter what we have done and all we have to do is ask for it. We are never too far away from God for him to accept us.  I also do not believe in paying pennance for sins as Jesus taught us in the New Testament that he had paid the penalty for our sins so it was no longer necessary.

Those 3 sentences have inspired more crimes against humanity than I have time in my life to write about. "I can do what I want when I want in the name of God, and if crimes are committed in the process then I will beg for God's forgiveness and get it."

Sheesh! ::)

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
"Religious people pray they won't go to hell - Spiritual people have been there and don't want to go back!"

Quote from a mentor I once knew

Here is another -

"Religions have man-made-rules whereas spirituality is borne from within and you know deep deep down that it is right for you!"

and another -

"The church should not be a monument or museum to saints - it should be an emergency ward for lost souls!"

The man I refer to died over 5 years ago - during his life he was so at peace with himself that I envied him - his only demeaning feature was the he was a Collingwood supporter......RT

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
tigersnake said:
I’m of the firm belief that people should be able to practice whatever religion they want, as long as it doesn’t negatively impact on others, and as long as they don’t try and foist it on others. I personally am an atheist. I believe we walk the earth, do the best we can, treat others as we want to be treated, then its over.

Hi TS, If we just live on the Earth and then die what is the point of life? And why do we mourn for people who commit suicide? If you are correct then they were going to die anyway and have just chosen to speed up the process.

tigersnake said:

These examples are very obscure TS and I would challenge you to find these actual examp0les in the Bible. THere are, however, many unusual occurances and practises contained within the Old Testament of the Bible. They were, though, very common customs of the Jewish people in those days (remember we are talking about hundres to thousands of years B.C.). Jesus came to Earth with new teachings that superseeded most of those old jewish traditions anyway. Hence the reason why they are called the 'Old' and 'New' Testament.

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
Phantom said:
jayfox said:
rosy said:
I'm not meaning to open a can or worms here but pedophiles are the scum of the earth in my opinion. Would priests who stoop to such low acts do so because they know they can be remorseful, till the next time, and all will be forgiven by the God they believe in?

I agree Rosy that pedophiles are the scum of the Earth and if it was up to me I would annihilate them. However, if a pedophile was to truly repent and change his ways then God would forgive him. That is the absolutely amazing thing about God's grace. He will forgive us no matter what we have done and all we have to do is ask for it. We are never too far away from God for him to accept us. I also do not believe in paying pennance for sins as Jesus taught us in the New Testament that he had paid the penalty for our sins so it was no longer necessary.

Those 3 sentences have inspired more crimes against humanity than I have time in my life to write about. "I can do what I want when I want in the name of God, and if crimes are committed in the process then I will beg for God's forgiveness and get it."

Sheesh! ::)

Then I would suggest Phantom that they are not 'truly' repentant and would not be forgiven. You can not fool God. He knows what is in your heart and will judge accordingly regardless of how many other people you can fool.
Furthermore, Religions get very unfairly judged by an absolute minority of extremists who follow the suggestion that you have stated above. There is no question that numerous disgraceful acts have been done in the name of Christianity or Islam etc. but in my opinion those people have completely missed the teachings of their faith and are after a vehicle for their own agenda.

cassady

Nov 22, 2004
Floating
jayfox says, 'in my opinion those people have completely missed the teachings of their faith and are after a vehicle for their own agenda.'

so you read minds too, man?

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
cassady said:
jayfox says, 'in my opinion those people have completely missed the teachings of their faith and are after a vehicle for their own agenda.'

so you read minds too, man?

No, That's why it says "In my opinion" Cassanova. But as they say 'opinions are like but-holes, everyones got one' (it's just that yours is stinky! :hihi)

cassady

Nov 22, 2004
Floating
yeah, i guess that's true man, i was thinking that yours must smell like roses, not like the rest of us godless sinners!