Christianity | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Christianity

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
jayfox said:
tigersnake said:
I’m of the firm belief that people should be able to practice whatever religion they want, as long as it doesn’t negatively impact on others, and as long as they don’t try and foist it on others.  I personally am an atheist.  I believe we walk the earth, do the best we can, treat others as we want to be treated, then its over. 

Hi TS, If we just live on the Earth and then die what is the point of life? And why do we mourn for people who commit suicide? If you are correct then they were going to die anyway and have just chosen to speed up the process.

tigersnake said:
As for this thread, and Jayfox’s comment about homosexuality being identified as a sin in the bible, that annoys the hell out of me. The bible says all kinds of strange things are sins. It says things like ‘if your wife runs away, pierce her ear with skewer so if she runs away again people will know she belongs to you’, and ‘if you have a bung eye, gauge it out’. The bible says a lot of weird kooky stuff, so if you adhere to the principle that ‘the bible says so’, you’re in for some strange times. My point is that Christians and Muslims of various pursuasions pick and choose what to abide by in their respective instruction manuals depending on expediency, pragmatism, politics, whatever.

These examples are very obscure TS and I would challenge you to find these actual examp0les in the Bible. THere are, however, many unusual occurances and practises contained within the Old Testament of the Bible. They were, though, very common customs of the Jewish people in those days (remember we are talking about hundres to thousands of years B.C.). Jesus came to Earth with new teachings that superseeded most of those old jewish traditions anyway. Hence the reason why they are called the 'Old' and 'New' Testament.

Re your first Q, I personally think that living on the earth is a lot of fun a lot of the time.  Doing interesting things, meeting interesting people, its well worth it.  I don't see why beleiving that there come a day when it finishes makes any difference.  As for 'the meaning of life', I know what it is, if you send a check for $666.00 to P.O box 911, Managatang 3320, I'll send you a full rundown.  I got to make a living after all.

I don't understand your question about suicide, we mourn them if they are good people don't we?

For me, beleivers don't really have to consider big philosophical questions, God did it, thats all you need to know.

Re. the second statement, you're reinforcing my exact point, Christains generally explain away any aspects of the bible that are inconveniently strange, and the examples I mentioned are in there, as antiquated or obscure, but the stuff they like isn't.  That goes especially for the old testament, the 10 Commandments are Old Testament aren't they?

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
cassady said:
yeah, i guess that's true man, i was thinking that yours must smell like roses, not like the rest of us godless sinners!

It was just a joke Casserly. I am not trying to come across as 'holier than though' just stating my beliefs as people have been interested to talk about it. I am completely aware of my massive failings (my boss would say that one of them is that I spend too much time on PRE and not enough time working!). Why are you having a crack at me when others are just debating?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
[Buddhism would be ideal for you RED.Your Hair Line is heading in that direction :hihi :hihi :hihi

BalmyArmy said:
Red, has anyone ever told you you look a lot like the dog off Simon Townsends Wonderworld?

What a disgrace you two blokes are. That picture was taken in 1992 during my "shave down" phase. I'm now back to my traditional messy, "MacGyver" look. And what's this crap about me looking like a dog ? What are you inferring ? 

The 'ol religious thing. Tough subject. I'm sure there's something out there, but what it is I'm uncertain of.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
The 'ol religious thing. Tough subject. I'm sure there's something out there, but what it is I'm uncertain of.

Red you want to read the da vinci code, that'll set you straight

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I'm not sure if that last post was a joke or not Michael, the Da Vinci code is a NOVEL. A good yarn, just like Star Wars

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I've been thinking of starting a thread about Christianity for ages jay but thought it would probbaly get a bit too volatile.  The topic really interests me, in as far as people having such faith in something I can't see,  and I thank you for your candid replies and food for thought.

I used to get into some interesting debates with my ex-fiance in regard to going to confession, as his mother insisted he did,  to be forgiven for his considerable sins.  I bet there were some he'd never confess.

I don't even think about life after death.  It will be interesting, if there is a judgement day, to see if I pass muster.

I have a fairly clear conscience in regard to how I've lived my life but others mightn't necessarily feel the same way about me. ;D

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
tigersnake said:
For me, beleivers don't really have to consider big philosophical questions, God did it, thats all you need to know.

I can't believe that. I think it is easier to go about life thinking that we are the most important things in the world and not to even consider God. Committed Christians constantly study Gods word to see what he teaches us about the big philosophical issues in life. Sure we take our guidance from him but that doesn't mean we don't question or consider his teachings. That is the best way to learn, IMO.

tigersnake said:
Re. the second statement, you're reinforcing my exact point, Christains generally explain away any aspects of the bible that are inconveniently strange, and the examples I mentioned are in there, as antiquated or obscure, but the stuff they like isn't. That goes especially for the old testament, the 10 Commandments are Old Testament aren't they?

The 10 commandments are in the Old Testament and at the time were made up because the Israelites were going astray and needed some hard and fast rules to live by. The New Testament is all about Jesus' life and his teachings and whilst the majority of moral issues from the Old Testament are reinforced there are certain older Jewish traditions and customs that he replaced. Most of those are the obscure ones you speak of. You have to realise though that the times when those customs were created was thousands of years ago and life was very different then. That's why they seem unusual to us.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Michael said:

Red you want to read the da vinci code, that'll set you straight

I have read it it Michael Hutchence. What are you saying ? Is Robert Langdon God ?

Geez. It all makes sense now…..

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
rosy said:
I've been thinking of starting a thread about Christianity for ages jay but thought it would probbaly get a bit too volatile. The topic really interests me, in as far as people having such faith in something I can't see, and I thank you for your candid replies and food for thought.

I used to get into some interesting debates with my ex-fiance in regard to going to confession, as his mother insisted he did, to be forgiven for his considerable sins. I bet there were some he'd never confess.

I don't even think about life after death. It will be interesting, if there is a judgement day, to see if I pass muster.

I have a fairly clear conscience in regard to how I've lived my life but others mightn't necessarily feel the same way about me. ;D

Thanks for starting the thread Rosy, I don't think it has been volatile at all, just good conversation! I have enjoyed it and it probably shows people a different side of me to what they are used to (You know the idiot who normally posts rubbish about the Tiges).

My Faith has brought me through the most challenging and most wonderful times of my life. I have seen God do things in my life that are amazing and only because I put my Faith in him. I guess the way I look at this whole debate is that if I am wrong and you just die, what have I lost. But if I am right.......

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
evo said:
http://www.venganza.org/

Very interesting Elmo Evo.

I’m in two minds now whether to subscribe to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Eight Ace’s Lizard God that he pm’ed me about.

Hmmm. Both sound like fun religions.

Jukebox: a question/s for you. Did you start going to church before…or after… you kidnapped the Beaumonts. Or was it Richmond’s continual poor form that drove you to seek answers from a higher ground ?

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
Redford said:
evo said:

I’m in two minds now whether to subscribe to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Eight Ace’s Lizard God that he pm’ed me about.

Jukebox: a question/s for you. Did you start going to church before…or after… you kidnapped the Beaumonts. Or was it Richmond’s continual poor form that drove you to seek answers from a higher ground ?

Don't play dumb Ridleyford. You know very well that you masterminded the whole kidnapping and I was just your mule. You said that you could plant them with a lovely 'Pomweigen' (as you called it) family and that they would be very happy.

P.S. Richmonds poor form didn't drive me to seek answers but He sure has helped me get through the past 20-odd years.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
jayfox said:
Redford said:
evo said:

Don't play dumb Ridleyford. You know very well that you masterminded the whole kidnapping and I was just your mule. You said that you could plant them with a lovely 'Pomweigen' (as you called it) family and that they would be very happy.

P.S. Richmonds poor form didn't drive me to seek answers but He sure has helped me get through the past 20-odd years.

Next time you’re speaking to Him, can you ask Him if He can do something about our lack of success.

Oh, and ask Him if there’s any chance about easing up on the hot weather too. He’s got us set for 42 degrees again on Thursday. Someone in His weather department is screwing things up, I’m sure. Thanks.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Redford said:
Oh, and ask Him if there’s any chance about easing up on the hot weather too. He’s got us set for 42 degrees again on Thursday. Someone in His weather department is screwing things up, I’m sure. Thanks.

See this is why you should embrace the Church of the Spaghetti monster Red.He can answer your temperature concerns......

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

He even provides a graph!

jayfox

Tiger Champion
Nov 11, 2003
Redford said:
jayfox said:
Redford said:
evo said:

Next time you’re speaking to Him, can you ask Him if He can do something about our lack of success.

I'll see what I can do. It is getting beyond a joke isn't it. But then again when don't the weather bureau screw things up?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
evo said:
Redford said:

See this is why you should embrace the Church of the Spaghetti monster Red.He can answer your temperature concerns......

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

He even provides a graph!

Yeah, I gotta admit I was impressed by the correlation between dwinding pirate numbers and the increase in the earth’s temperature. Makes perfect sense.

But what I was particularly impressed with was the illustration of the Flying Spaghetti Monster Himself and the creating of hills and mountains. I’d always wondered how and who made them, now I know. Such a real and graphic illustration too. Much better than all those tacky Michaelangelo and Da Vinci paintings and stuff……

Most enlightening.