City rail network in meltdown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

City rail network in meltdown

jb03 said:
Staggered working hours doesn't really work JD.

It actually can, but depends upon your business and the level of external interaction.

Some banks have cross shifts, with some people starting early and finishing early, some starting late and finishing late, and a whole bunch in the middle.

For myself it actually makes sense. Most of my clients are international, so my day only fires up around 11am, and I'm still in full email flight at 6pm+.

What a shambles the system is in. Still getting worse.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/catch-our-trains-say-frustrated-commuters-20080924-4n0c.html

Some one will have to die waiting for a train before something happens. And don't worry it will happen, only a matter of time. Southern Cross looks fantastic, very international feel to it but Flinders St is stuck in the 30's.

SCOOP said:
Some one will have to die waiting for a train before something happens. And don't worry it will happen, only a matter of time.

Already happened I think.....this bloke still waiting for his train...but hey, the train mob have apologised for any inconvenience caused.

610x.jpg

:hihi

Anybody enjoy John Dumby's comedy skit on the news yesterday?

Tranport Plan not able to start until 2020...............pffft......this moron's worse than Mugabe.

TigerForce said:
Anybody enjoy John Dumby's comedy skit on the news yesterday?

Tranport Plan not able to start until 2020...............pffft......this moron's worse than Mugabe.
I have had an idea for a while that I would love to see taken up by the public in general... and that is as follows: Instead of swearing you say 'Brumby' eg "Get stuffed you stupid Brumby", "man you are such a Brumby" and not to forget "you are really Brumbying me right now".

Back to topic, what are people's thoughts on the performance of our 'Minister for Public Transport'? Ms "why would I want to run Melbourne's public transport". Whilst not quite as inept as the Iemma govt in NSW I think the Victorian Labour Party is now the worst state govt in the country, by quite a bit as well, after NSW Labour.

K3 said:
I have had an idea for a while that I would love to see taken up by the public in general... and that is as follows: Instead of swearing you say 'Brumby' eg "Get stuffed you stupid Brumby", "man you are such a Brumby" and not to forget "you are really Brumbying me right now".

Back to topic, what are people's thoughts on the performance of our 'Minister for Public Transport'? Ms "why would I want to run Melbourne's public transport". Whilst not quite as inept as the Iemma govt in NSW I think the Victorian Labour Party is now the worst state govt in the country, by quite a bit as well, after NSW Labour.

Tell me something I haven't been telling this forum for 3 years? :hihi

K3 said:

A bit like 'I'm having a kennett of a day' from a few years back ;D

K3 said:

My thoughts on her would put the swear filter into meltdown I think. As for the second part, that's what happens when you have a useless opposition. The government knows they can do what they want, without fear of losing government because there is no viable alternative. They become arrogant and stop listening.
Brumby, have a talk to Kennett, before you get too comfortable. There is a limit to how much crap the people will tolerate.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/pr-war-connex-sticks-it-to-union-20090130-7tjo.html

The union better hope they have their facts right on this one. If it gets confirmed that Connex is right, and viable trains have been sitting idle because of stickers, torn seats, and scratches on the side windows, any public sympathy for them in this negotiation will evaporate.

Given the Age is running with this, and they normally look for any excuse to slag off Connex, I suspect the union is on shaky ground.

Tiger74 said:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/pr-war-connex-sticks-it-to-union-20090130-7tjo.html

The union better hope they have their facts right on this one. If it gets confirmed that Connex is right, and viable trains have been sitting idle because of stickers, torn seats, and scratches on the side windows, any public sympathy for them in this negotiation will evaporate.

Given the Age is running with this, and they normally look for any excuse to slag off Connex, I suspect the union is on shaky ground.

I doubt there is an 'innocent' party in all of this. I just hope the media/public don't let Connex and the Gov't off the hook even if the unions are being dishonest, manipulative, and self-righteous.

Years ago, when Connex first got the contract in Melbourne, I recall hearing an interview with a public advocate group in the UK (I think), who had Connex for a while. They warned of deteriorating service and no accountability.

When the contract is up for renewal (Sept 09?), I just hope we wave goodbye to Connex, and somehow the gov't is required to provide greater transparency.

Mr Pumblechook said:
I doubt there is an 'innocent' party in all of this. I just hope the media/public don't let Connex and the Gov't off the hook even if the unions are being dishonest, manipulative, and self-righteous.

Years ago, when Connex first got the contract in Melbourne, I recall hearing an interview with a public advocate group in the UK (I think), who had Connex for a while. They warned of deteriorating service and no accountability.

When the contract is up for renewal (Sept 09?), I just hope we wave goodbye to Connex, and somehow the gov't is required to provide greater transparency.

Aren't Connex a sponsor of the RFC?

Mr Pumblechook said:

I think Connex are going to cop it for their decision to get rid of the seperators on the rail tracks, and their CEO is hardly flavour of the month since is 24C is hot comment.

Also Connex/Govt have to carry the can for the ticketing fiasco, although that is partly our fault.

You look at the MTR in HK (who are one of the bidders), and the ticketing is simple, you pay each time based on the length of your trip. None of this 2 hour or daily stuff, and more importantly none of this same ticket for bus/tram/train. My understanding is the biggest issue for the ticketing has been the interchange issue for two reasons. Firstly the power issues on trams, and secondly how to calculate and divide the ticket revenue per trip.

Tell the public the days of zones, daily tickets, and interchangability of tickets are over, cop the abuse from the public, and bring in a much simplier ticketing system.

Tiger74 said:
and bring in a much simplier ticketing system.

I'm no expert in public transport but am very happy with our system when I do use it. What system could be simpler than one ticket for the day regardless of how many trips by bus, tram and train?

rosy23 said:
I'm no expert in public transport but am very happy with our system when I do use it. What system could be simpler than one ticket for the day regardless of how many trips by bus, tram and train?

Its easier for the commuter, but it causes a lot of problems behind the scenes.

Firstly you need a ticket that can be scanned and used on all platforms. Easy for trains, but there were big problems with trams in particular (I believe because of the need for constant power supply, which trams don't always get).

Secondly you have the revenue issue. For one daily ticket, you need to divide that money up amongst Yarra Trams, Connex, and the relevant bus company. This means when the ticket is scanned, not only does it have to check it is valid, but it also has to centralize the data somehow for the revenue info to be determined.

I actually used to think the same as you, but I found the pay as you go system in HK very transparent and easy to understand. Best bit is it actually encourages you to do short trips, as you are paying a token charge for a one stop hop rather than for the full 2 hour zone one coverage.

Efficient rail systems run in Dubai, Abu Dabi & other desrt countries where deserts & above 50 degree temps are a regular occurence.

We Victorians are merely victims of a government that has been in office for 10 years and spent almost nothing on our public infrastructure.

Apparently even our newest replacement trains are 2nd hand.

Well hopefully Brumby gets thrown out at the next election.

And if the replacement govt does nothing, we'll throw them out too.

Tiger74 said:
You look at the MTR in HK (who are one of the bidders), and the ticketing is simple, you pay each time based on the length of your trip.

The Singapore system is also simple, efficient, and effective.

A foreseeable problem with a 'pay by your trip length' system, is that as a city that epitomises urban sprawl, Melbournians in the outer suburbs need to be encouraged onto public transport, not away from it and into cars.

Any pricing structure would need to be biased towards encouraging those making the longest trips out of their cars.

Mr Pumblechook said:
The Singapore system is also simple, efficient, and effective.

A foreseeable problem with a 'pay by your trip length' system, is that as a city that epitomises urban sprawl, Melbournians in the outer suburbs need to be encouraged onto public transport, not away from it and into cars.

Any pricing structure would need to be biased towards encouraging those making the longest trips out of their cars.

But then you make those in the inner city pay a premium, forcing them into cars where the bulk of the congestion is.

We have been subsidizing the outer burbs for years, and all it has done is make the rail network a peak hour delivery tool, which has SFA demand outside those going to and from the city via train.

You need to make it cheaper to travel on buses and trams for short trips by getting rid of the premium they are forced to pay to minimize the cost of the outer burbs rail ticket. In any case, those doing long haul trips already have petrol costs and high city parking fees encouraging them to use the train.

Ultimately it means a compromise between inner and outer burbs.
Along the lines of a say (example) a flat $1.00 every time you board a bus,tram,train plus a per kilometre charge.

Liverpool said:
Already happened I think.....this bloke still waiting for his train...but hey, the train mob have apologised for any inconvenience caused.

610x.jpg

There's a heatwave in Berlin as well?