Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

I can well understand what McGowan is doing, given the spread around the rest of the country and the deaths he doesn't want the same thing in WA.

I well understand the impact. My father went into a home last year and I still have credit with Qantas for a cancelled flight to Perth for his 90th. Not sure when I can go over there now. Also know someone who is here at the moment, was planning to return home on Feb 5 (to her job), and she is here because her brother is now very unwell and she needed to visit.

But the real question is how WA eventually opens up. I know they are talking 3 doses now but what if that isn't enough. McGowan will be worried about the health impact of opening up, along with the political impact, but opening up WA has to happen and it is not going to be easy as COVID will spread. Not sure what they do now, I would have at least partially opened up on Feb 5 if I was in their position as the closed border cannot go on for much longer. They have protected themselves from the virus but built themselves a problem in doing so.

DS

I hope they susceed,

and WC and Freo get kicked into the WAFL,

and gina rhinehart becomes president

and bans biltong

before getting her legs chewed off by a white shark in 30cm water at Scarborough, on Australia Day

First day at work for me today since Dec 31. 17 people in the building of about 100 currently have COVID and everyone needs to take a RAT for 3 consecutive days (except me).

I hope they susceed,

and WC and Freo get kicked into the WAFL,

and gina rhinehart becomes president

and bans biltong

before getting her legs chewed off by a white shark in 30cm water at Scarborough, on Australia Day

Just on that, what is the bet they will open before the AFL starts? The cricket, A-League, NBL, etc, have all been disrupted, but I bet the footy won’t be.

Reactions: 1 user
Jack Darling barred from WCE until he gets vaccinated.

• Wow
The thing Leysy doesn't understand about WA. The booster.

Why would you need a booster if you've only had second dose recently?

Also by the time they get booster numbers up to the % required those that got the boosters early would be susceptible anyway as will be due another one.

Reactions: 1 users
The thing Leysy doesn't understand about WA. The booster.

Why would you need a booster if you've only had second dose recently?

Also by the time they get booster numbers up to the % required those that got the boosters early would be susceptible anyway as will be due another one.

My son knows a bloke over there who has had 23 vaccinations.

Give him a grand and your medicare card, and he takes one for the team.

hes become known as VaxMan, a kind of (anti-superhero)

Depending who you talk to, hell either be roaming the world with cockroaches and mushrooms, the last and richest man left alive ($23k in cash goes a long way in an apocalypse)

Or his nuts will shrivel like dried tomatoes, and fall into the red dust, while he ponders on a pronoun and internet shops for absorbant underwear.

Ive come to think his angle is as good as any of the alternatives on offer.

Ive tipped. Like walking solo on a sea-saw.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
He's more likely to earn a future living as a mobile high capacity 5G cell tower

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
He's more likely to earn a future living as a mobile high capacity 5G cell tower

VaxMan could be anything.

He might become president of the Disunited Free Peoples Former State of Australia.

There had been 2,117 deaths in nearly 2 years up to December 15 2021 when restrictions were eased. There's been almost 800 deaths in just over a month since those restrictions were lifted. Unvaccinated people had the same freedoms as the vaccinated.

Morrison, Hunt and Frydenberg's latest theme is that people need to learn to live with the virus.

McGowan has the health of people as a priority, whereas Morrison, Hunt and Frydenberg have the wealth.

If they weren't in such a hurry to open things up, and instead waited till most people had the booster, people might've been able to learn to live with the virus, instead of learning how to die with it.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey eZy, was that you speaking on ABC Nightlife last night? I heard a bloke making this same comment about McGowan.

Yep that was me.

You know you get $65 for a nightlife appearance, and if you time it right and dont draw the segment out with verbs, you can take a piping hot trans-shower in the basement without the asexuals barging in

• Haha
Yep that was me.

You know you get $65 for a nightlife appearance, and if you time it right and dont draw the segment out with verbs, you can take a piping hot trans-shower in the basement without the asexuals barging in
I miss the Duchess of Dubbo.

Yep that was me.

Good stuff. Totally agree on what you said.

If they weren't in such a hurry to open things up, and instead waited till most people had the booster, people might've been able to learn to live with the virus, instead of learning how to die with it.

Unfortunately, I think Western Australians will die about the same as Easterners Tman.

Book Recommendation: Neville Shute 'on the beach'

I can understand the frustrations of some that they are unable to get back into WA to visit loved ones. I totally empathize with EzYt and DavidSSS when they describe not being able to see friends and family for 2 years now. I'd be devastated if I was in the same position.

But there seems to be a disproportionate amount of commentators (and posters) who aren't directly impacted by the border closures who are angry about it. These people mustn't know many people (if any) who have died from covid, or don't know anyone who works in health care, because i'm pretty sure those people are thinking the opposite.

Living a covid-free lifestyle sounds a hell of a lot better than what we're putting up with right now. And considering that the people of WA had an election only last year which McGowan won in a historical landslide, the earlier suggestions of Stockholm syndrome are laughable. Western Australians are perfectly content watching the eastern states struggle through covid while they continue living a life free of pestilence.

Reactions: 2 users
McGowan has the health of people as a priority.
How is correct when the hospital system in WA is ramping ambulances on a regular basis? Sounds like he has the whole state under prepared.

Eughh, I used to turn it down when she called in. Every bloody night she got a 5 minute pedestal to talk crap.
Yep. Understandable as she's elderly, but she rambled on too much and never focused on how to answer the question.

I can well understand what McGowan is doing, given the spread around the rest of the country and the deaths he doesn't want the same thing in WA.

I well understand the impact. My father went into a home last year and I still have credit with Qantas for a cancelled flight to Perth for his 90th. Not sure when I can go over there now. Also know someone who is here at the moment, was planning to return home on Feb 5 (to her job), and she is here because her brother is now very unwell and she needed to visit.

But the real question is how WA eventually opens up. I know they are talking 3 doses now but what if that isn't enough. McGowan will be worried about the health impact of opening up, along with the political impact, but opening up WA has to happen and it is not going to be easy as COVID will spread. Not sure what they do now, I would have at least partially opened up on Feb 5 if I was in their position as the closed border cannot go on for much longer. They have protected themselves from the virus but built themselves a problem in doing so.

DS
I agree David. Relating to this, I was reading an article in the press talking about how China (plus Macau and Hong Kong) are the only jurisdictions in the world still shooting for COVID zero (with the exception of WA, that is).

It was talking about how, particularly with omicron, the leadership knows behind closed doors that COVID-Zero is not sustainable. But have created a rod for their own back regarding the collective psychology they have indoctrinated the populace into. By going so hard on elimination (even to the point of welding apartment blocks shut, or screaming people being forcibly dragged into plain white unmarked vans, by hazmat wearing groups of secret police, never to be seen again) and telling the populace it was for their own good, there is a genuine fear in the population that it's basically an airborne ebola (or worse) circulating. There is no tolerance for any cases in the community ever in human history. How to now unwind this psychology without causing massive civil unrest and societal breakdown - as the populace just loses it's collective mind with fear - is considered an extra problem (on top of obvious health resourcing), that the leadership is terrified to unleash.

This is the danger McGowan runs into. The longer this goes on, it doesn't only become a health resourcing dilemma. It becomes extremely hard to unwind the psychology of the populace. It potentially cripples his ability to govern to any evolving strategy.

I witnessed this in TAS. The amount of mindless cliched platitudes Premier Gutwein was getting on every news and social media site for months. "Great leader, keeping us safe" etc. It turned in an instant when he announced TAS was opening when we reached 90% vaxxed. "YOU *smile* BASTARD, WHEN MY 96 YO ASTHMATIC GRANDFATHER DIES OF COVID IT WILL BE ON YOUR HEAD YOU MURDERER!!" etc. And observing WA news sites, the same bipolar disorder was already being unleashed on McGowan when he was still talking of sticking to the 5th Feb date.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Kind of feels like kicking the inevitability can down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users