Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Spook, your level of admiration for politicians is around the same as mine....dead zero.
But I doubt the NSW pollies had any control over this.
Delta and now a Omicron were never controlable short of WA type improsonment.
This article is just more political agenda muck raking...geez, will it ever end.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Delta and now a Omicron were never controlable short of WA type improsonment.
It's only been imprisonment if you've been trying to get in and out of Wa.

I feel very sorry for everyone that has suffered because of COVID. But I'm in thunderous support of Mark McGowan's actions.

Live has been pretty much normal, myself and my family have had 4 fantastic holidays. There has been a couple of downers, like not being able to go to a couple of funerals.

The last holiday was just last week when we went to Kalbarri.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
A beautiful place is WA.
Interesting to see how things go when it opens up next month.
Vax rates the same as Vic was by then so expect plenty of covid cases in hospital.
But there is the point...at some time the place has to open up for people live a normal life. Whenever that happens there will be issues. Just how it must be in a pandemic.
Planned the train trip across the Nularbour from Perth to Adelaide but cancelled of course because WA was closed.
Living close to the ocean or the Swan and such a vast land mass inland is a wonderful place to be.
PS...WA footballers are super talented, always have been.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A beautiful place is WA.
Interesting to see how things go when it opens up next month.
Vax rates the same as Vic was by then so expect plenty of covid cases in hospital.
But there is the point...at some time the place has to open up for people live a normal life. Whenever that happens there will be issues. Just how it must be in a pandemic.
Planned the train trip across the Nularbour from Perth to Adelaide but cancelled of course because WA was closed.
Living close to the ocean or the Swan and such a vast land mass inland is a wonderful place to be.
PS...WA footballers are super talented, always have been.
Wa is scheduled to open it's borders on Feb 5, I'd rather McGowan keep Wa closed until the boosters numbers are a lot higher, I think he will.

There is only about 30% who have had the 3rd dose.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I’m not necessarily against what WA did but at the moment they are just delaying the inevitable. Once it gets in it will spread like it has everywhere.
If they want to avoid issues in their hospitals they should open up slowly and have some public health measures in place like restrictions on crowds, some social distancing and mask wearing but I am not sure they are.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I’m not necessarily against what WA did but at the moment they are just delaying the inevitable. Once it gets in it will spread like it has everywhere.
If they want to avoid issues in their hospitals they should open up slowly and have some public health measures in place like restrictions on crowds, some social distancing and mask wearing but I am not sure they are.
There are mask wearing requirements now, and we don't open up until Feb 5.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No...the media tells us how many are in hospital and ICU and who die on a daily basis, telling us the horrors of covid and the escalating disaster.
I am saying the numbers are deceiving and the media use this to their advantage.
Covid is a disasterous pandemic and many have died. I am not underselling it.
I am fed up with the blatant distortion and fear mongering ....in place of honest, truthful reporting.

In truth we are doing well in this country, despite political failures and most of the population has done exceptionally wel complying with lockdowns etc.
We deserve encouragement, positive feedback, honest reporting, truthful figures and not anxiety provoking sensationalism.

I repeat...vaccinated healthy people do extremely well and covid is little bother to them.
Aged, frail and unvaccinated are at risk.

and yet you promote propagandists like Nick Coatesworth who is repeatedly wrong about anything Covid related.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
and yet you promote propagandists like Nick Coatesworth who is repeatedly wrong about anything Covid related.
No I don't promote him.
Don't know what to make of him.
I just enjoyed his optimistic article....nothing more.
Might have been rubbish for all I know.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I’m talking about after WA opens up, after which omicron will inevitably get in. Are you going to have mask wearing and rules social distancing etc ?
I'm not sure what the rules will be on mask wearing and social distancing when Wa opens up.

Omicron is already in the community in Wa.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Interesting article, and I wouldn't put it past Morrison to time the let it rip strategy to get past the virus before the election. Not sure it would (will?) work though as there appears to be no such thing as herd immunity. As the article says, more likely just a stuff up, given the incompetence of this government, far more likely.

But there was one thing in the article which did catch my eye:

As politicians squirm about that, it is worth recounting again the admission by Therapeutic Goods Administration boss John Skerritt, as reported by The Guardian:

Part of the issue has been the slow pace of approvals with the TGA. In September the TGA boss, John Skerritt, admitted that had been deliberate, as the regulator waited for a “signal” from the federal government.

“We’re saying to companies, submit your data, show us, but we can’t formally make an approval decision until we get a signal from the government,” Skerritt said at the time.

“It’s a decision for the government. Firstly, when they feel an appropriate time is to commit such tests. But then secondly, we’ve got to have the tests that are actually ready to go and designed so they can be used by non-professional people.”

Yes, it was another race and Australia was held back from starting by the Morrison government.

This is beyond incompetence, this does look like they are timing things so that they can approve locally made RAT tests in time for the election. Why isn't the media asking about this? This tells me that ScoMo and co are more worried about the election than the health system and the well being of Australians.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'm not sure what the rules will be on mask wearing and social distancing when Wa opens up.

Omicron is already in the community in Wa.
It’s not really there yet, not like it will be. BTW I don’t mean that as a criticism of WA, just stating the inevitable

The criticism that many epidemiologists made of opening up in other states is that it was too quick. Keeping some restrictions in place doesn’t really reduce the number of people who eventually get Omicron but what it does is slows it so the hospital system can cope better

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Interesting article, and I wouldn't put it past Morrison to time the let it rip strategy to get past the virus before the election. Not sure it would (will?) work though as there appears to be no such thing as herd immunity. As the article says, more likely just a stuff up, given the incompetence of this government, far more likely.

But there was one thing in the article which did catch my eye:

This is beyond incompetence, this does look like they are timing things so that they can approve locally made RAT tests in time for the election. Why isn't the media asking about this? This tells me that ScoMo and co are more worried about the election than the health system and the well being of Australians.

DS
yes, those RAT tests that are manufactured in Brisbane (funded by Aust taxpayers) and exported to USA (100,000 per day, expected to increase to 200,000 per day) are not available to Australians because they haven't been approved by TGA yet. Wonder when Slomo will get around to allowing TGA to approve them?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
It’s not really there yet, not like it will be. BTW I don’t mean that as a criticism of WA, just stating the inevitable

The criticism that many epidemiologists made of opening up in other states is that it was too quick. Keeping some restrictions in place doesn’t really reduce the number of people who eventually get Omicron but what it does is slows it so the hospital system can cope better

Yes Tassie mistake was that on 15 Dec, the first day of opening we had nearly 30% more people fly into the state than ever before EVER. That was their mistake and the peak was 10 times higher than they predicted and arrived 3 months earlier.

The result, like other States, is that people listened to Scomo for the first time, made their own decision on what to do and went into a self imposed lockdown - the place feels quieter than the middle of winter.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah Tassie opening up was great for Leysy getting back to see family and friends, but most Tasmanians Leysy knows wished they hadn't opened yet.

Went from living 100% unhindered and virus free to know living pretty much like we do in Vic. Actually probably more sheltered due to being more scared of the Virus as haven't had to deal with it before.

It's hurt the economy big time and also the premiers chances of re-election.

Still half expecting McGowan to pull the pin on borders opening on 5th Feb.

• Sad