Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Trump will say the modelling predicted a million deaths and because the figure was less than that he did a great job.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

They have no reason to BS. Remember the China lock down was severe. People weren't allowed out of their house even for groceries. They locked down harder than any other country can. With a 2 week incubation, you can kill this virus if you suffocate it's ability to spread. Now they just need to protect their borders.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Trump will say the modelling predicted a million deaths and because the figure was less than that he did a great job.
He's been on the phone with Sean Hannity @ fox news today. ... lucky he can't go to the studio coz it'd be Xrated as they lick each other all over.
Them yankees are serious dumb *smile* for ever letting this bloke get elected!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They have no reason to BS. Remember the China lock down was severe. People weren't allowed out of their house even for groceries. They locked down harder than any other country can. With a 2 week incubation, you can kill this virus if you suffocate it's ability to spread. Now they just need to protect their borders.

I don't really trust the numbers coming out of China, they seem too good to be true. Certainly China has locked down and slowed the spread effectively. But no more deaths? Hmm.

The real issue for China now is what next? How much do they open up their cities and rural areas, and how and when do they open their borders? This is almost unanswerable.

That said, I don't fully trust the US figures either as I suspect that not only are they not testing enough people, but that the testing is going to be skewed towards those who can afford testing. In the US I very much doubt the poor are being tested at anywhere near the rate which would give us meaningful numbers.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
This is just horrific. Surely Trump doesn't get out of this without repercussions.

don't underestimate the lack of intelligence of middle america. the Trump cult is massive.

those numbers are astronomical though. i'm cure the conspiracy theorists are getting a big kick out of it.

and people will believe it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Seems a pointless question to me as the majority of the physicians questioned would not have applied hydroxychloroquine to COVID-19 patients to make a valued judgement. They (37%) may believe that it has the best potential but how much of that would be influenced by the fact that it has been discussed the most by Trump and in media? Fauci doesn't believe it should be used at the present time. He like many believe that proper trials need to be conducted first to gauge benefits and ramifications of what is quite a dangerous drug.

Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study

People are making claims about a lot of established drugs.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

The virus is still present, so how are they preventing it from spreading?

You don't stop an epidemic like this in its tracks, especially when you're at the epicentre of the outbreak with a population of 1.4 billion.

They're reporting 2 deaths per million, the same as Australia. It isn't credible.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
How is Sweden tracking?

Badly.

They are roughly 90th for population in the world, 13th for deaths and have even more critical than dead. Could be wrong but it has always shaped as a disaster to me. Other Europeans say the Swedes think their *smile* doesn't stink; perhaps that's true of the scientific body entrusted with the decisions.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Nearly a million 'mild' cases but they haven't recovered? That seems a bit whack.

Not all countries are reporting each statistic in a timely manner. Batches of "recovered" might be reported a few days apart. Infections and deaths are the two consistent ones, as far as the governing regime's honesty allows...

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don't really trust the numbers coming out of China, they seem too good to be true. Certainly China has locked down and slowed the spread effectively. But no more deaths? Hmm.

The real issue for China now is what next? How much do they open up their cities and rural areas, and how and when do they open their borders? This is almost unanswerable.

That said, I don't fully trust the US figures either as I suspect that not only are they not testing enough people, but that the testing is going to be skewed towards those who can afford testing. In the US I very much doubt the poor are being tested at anywhere near the rate which would give us meaningful numbers.

DS
I don't trust the numbers out of China either but I also agree with Baloo in a way that there s no reason to fudge them now.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago in relation to the estimated numbers of funerals that were held in Hubei province at the height of the infections there. The suggestion was that deaths were likely to have been 10-20,000 rather than the 3000 or so they reported officially and probably the infections were much higher as well.

Who knows with China? Their leaders think in a different way to most

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study

People are making claims about a lot of established drugs.

That particular study was conducted on mildly ill patients. Considering the potential side-effects I don't think personally this will be the target audience. Bottom line is unless it can be shown in proper clinical trials to have a measurable benefit it's not going to be whisked out for mass use (as it shouldn't).

Looks like it will be used in Australia outside clinical trials but here are some other views (seen lots of these too):

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...nore-hydroxychloroquine-side-effects-n1178776
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...be-given-to-coronavirus-patients-in-australia

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That particular study was conducted on mildly ill patients. Considering the potential side-effects I don't think personally this will be the target audience. Bottom line is unless it can be shown in proper clinical trials to have a measurable benefit it's not going to be whisked out for mass use (as it shouldn't).

Looks like it will be used in Australia outside clinical trials but here are some other views (seen lots of these too):

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...nore-hydroxychloroquine-side-effects-n1178776
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...be-given-to-coronavirus-patients-in-australia

Yeah. I did state in my initial post that evidence for its efficacy is anecdotal and that it wasn't the answer.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The virus is still present, so how are they preventing it from spreading?

You don't stop an epidemic like this in its tracks, especially when you're at the epicentre of the outbreak with a population of 1.4 billion.

Agree, figures are fudged. Tell me you can have 189,583 (probably also fudged) people in close contact with infected patients, then 5 million leave Wuhan all over the globe for the spring festival and/or to escape Wuhan and the rest of China basically get off scot free? Impossible.

The commission's website has been publishing daily updates since late January. From the first report on January 25, the number of cases of the now-named COVID-19 virus skyrocketed from 1,287 to 17,205 in just over a week. At that point, according to the commission, 189,583 people had “been identified as having had close contact with infected patients.”

On top of this, the commission acknowledged on January 26 that “More than 5 million people have left Wuhan due to the Spring Festival and epidemic

Reactions: 2 users