Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
This is medical science paper from 2003 regarding the effects of chloroquine on viral infections.
Summary
Chloroquine is a 9-aminoquinoline known since 1934. Apart from its well-known antimalarial effects, the drug has interesting biochemical properties that might be applied against some viral infections. Chloroquine exerts direct antiviral effects, inhibiting pH-dependent steps of the replication of several viruses including members of the flaviviruses, retroviruses, and coronaviruses. Its best-studied effects are those against HIV replication, which are being tested in clinical trials. Moreover, chloroquine has immunomodulatory effects, suppressing the production/release of tumour necrosis factor α and interleukin 6, which mediate the inflammatory complications of several viral diseases. We review the available information on the effects of chloroquine on viral infections, raising the question of whether this old drug may experience a revival in the clinical management of viral diseases such as AIDS and severe acute respiratory syndrome, which afflict mankind in the era of globalisation.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Blindly believing and living in fear is not the path I have any intention of following. Others will need to choose their own path.

What part of the Italy, Spain and now NYC meltdowns is blindly believing? Plenty of theories abound about what is really happening but you just need to look at what's happened in those 3 places, and more to come, to see what we're currently dealing with.

UK's initial misstep into the herd immunity concept is probably what landed Boris Johnson in ICU.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Having finished quarantine and with little work to do I decided to head to a hospital and volunteer my skills today.

Fair to say our medical defences are calm, composed and in control, polar opposite to the video of the US.

good onya BR

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Having finished quarantine and with little work to do I decided to head to a hospital and volunteer my skills today.

Fair to say our medical defences are calm, composed and in control, polar opposite to the video of the US.
Good on you BR.
From my involvement at hospitals and what I have seen with those at the front line our medical response is indeed calm and composed but what gets them fired up more than anything is people who decide that protecting themselves and others is some sort of optional activity.
We can rabbit on about loss of freedoms but these medical teams should also have the right to be protected from morons and those infected by morons, especially given we are still struggling with access to enough PPE.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There is a multitude of information out there that does not correlate with the current extreme measures that we find ourselves having to exist in within iAustralia and around the world. A difference of opinion does not make one right and the other wrong - just simply different. This is the same regardless of industry including the medical and scientific fields. When an overflow of information is filling our TV screens, radio, and social media feeds, it is often overwhelming especially when so much of it is designed to promote fear and paranoia under the guise of caring for the well-being of our loved ones. Seeking truth amidst the masses calls for us to listen/read/watch with a level of discernment most of us have forgotten we ever had the ability to access. Blindly believing and living in fear is not the path I have any intention of following. Others will need to choose their own path.

David Icke. Jeebus. Following the Icke path - good luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilian_conspiracy_theory

You'd think it was some sort of *smile*-take!

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Dismissing someone as an ef'wit is irrelevant ad hominem. Are their claims right or wrong is all that matters.

The moment I come to a middle ground is the moment my arguments become invalid.
As has been mentioned, his article is full of his opinions, mostly unproveable.

And yes we know your perfect world has no government, or central planning or taxes, only individuals and firms looking after their interests. we know in your perfect world health care and education would only be available to those than can afford it, or to those who are lucky enough to benefit from charity. we know privately operated courts and security firms would be available to those that can afford them, (Im still not sure who appoints the courts though), and that the only 'crimes' are those that harm another's private property rights, and the only crimes that are investigated are those that are committed against those who can afford to hire investigators.
Thankfully we will never live in your perfect world. (apologies to those that arent interested.)

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As has been mentioned, his article is full of his opinions, mostly unproveable.

And yes we know your perfect world has no government, or central planning or taxes, only individuals and firms looking after their interests. we know in your perfect world health care and education would only be available to those than can afford it, or to those who are lucky enough to benefit from charity. we know privately operated courts and security firms would be available to those that can afford them, (I'm still not sure who appoints the courts though), and that the only 'crimes' are those that harm another's private property rights, and the only crimes that are investigated are those that are committed against those who can afford to hire investigators.
Thankfully we will never live in your perfect world. (apologies to those that aren't interested.)

Oh but Gia likes the theorist Hoppe, not exactly no government, certainly not no hierarchy and definitely comes with coercive powers.

Hoppe's problem with monarchies is not that they set themselves up as an elite (that's fine) or even as an hereditary elite. The problem is that they want to be a monopolistic elite. As long as you get a choice of oppressor that's fine. I suppose still fine if the choice is an oligopoly of oppressors, just the monopoly of oppression is an issue. As for the courts, you go and hire the legal system on the free market - yeah right that's going to work.

Neo-liberalism is an abject failure in this crisis, as evidenced by the Atlantic article above. In fact, it is the weakening of communities over recent decades, and the promotion of selfish individualism which has made the current situation harder to deal with. Can you imagine if everyone acted selfishly, as promoted by so-called libertarians, when we were at war? It would have been a disaster.

The reality of the social distancing measures being implemented is that the vast majority of people are not abiding by these restrictions because they might get caught and fined. We are not minimising our movements outside our houses because we might be breaking the law. We do this because we have seen the evidence, listened to the arguments about the spread of this virus, and we act to protect ourselves and our communities.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Good on you BR.
From my involvement at hospitals and what I have seen with those at the front line our medical response is indeed calm and composed but what gets them fired up more than anything is people who decide that protecting themselves and others is some sort of optional activity.
We can rabbit on about loss of freedoms but these medical teams should also have the right to be protected from morons and those infected by morons, especially given we are still struggling with access to enough PPE.

TODAY.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China (updated 11:30pm)

1,366,762 cases
80,083 deaths (5.86%)
47,810 severe (3%)
1,006,838 mild (74%)
232,031 recovered (17%)

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
There's some anecdotal evidence to say it has positive effects in some cases, without being the answer.

Hydroxychloroquine rated 'most effective therapy' by doctors for coronavirus

Seems a pointless question to me as the majority of the physicians questioned would not have applied hydroxychloroquine to COVID-19 patients to make a valued judgement. They (37%) may believe that it has the best potential but how much of that would be influenced by the fact that it has been discussed the most by Trump and in media? Fauci doesn't believe it should be used at the present time. He like many believe that proper trials need to be conducted first to gauge benefits and ramifications of what is quite a dangerous drug.