Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
If the virus stears clear of WA i think we will be lucky.
Currently interstate fifo workers are allowed to quarantine post a second flight into the state.
Some companies have agreements with the government to quarantine workers for 2 weeks under local police supervision on site or in camps. The second flight takes the workers deep into WA and are not exclusively quarantineed. Regular PAYG passengers are on these flights.
Originally companies hired qantas flights for exclusive transfer of interstaters.
The outbreak in Vic has prompted a change to this, fifo workers will be quarantineed in perth only shortly.
Victoria has not only put itself back a few months, it has potentially put Australia back the same.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Sounds like Dan took his eye off the ball. Or passed the ball to someone else who dropped it. Either way, the buck stops at the top.

Is the security guard industry unionised?
Might not be unionised but like cedar meats there are alleged connections with the owners of the chosen firms.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
On the 7.30 report last night he said he'd taken complete responsibility for the breach & that was why he'd called for an independent enquiry as to how this happened.
I don't recall either of those things happening with the Princess situation. Both State & Federal Gov's passed the buck completely..
He at least has admitted to the screw up. They're now doing all they can to get on top of it. The interview is worth a watch.
Short of resigning for the error I'm not sure what people want. Maybe that's what many want?
But investigation of any govt minister is outsid terms of reference.... Pathetic weasel act.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yet another reason for the government not to contract out to the private sector, their interest is profit and profit alone. The security industry is notorious for sub-contracting and it wouldn't surprise me if the security guards responsible for the Hotel quarantine were actually sub contractors.

The government needs to wear this, but so does the security industry. The government at least has the excuse that they engaged the security companies to do a job and the security companies said they could. I hope they are not paying the security companies, they did not fulfill their contracts.

As for leaving this to the security contractors, I have heard a few times over the last couple of days that the Victorian government is doing 2 things: no longer accepting travelers returning from overseas (for 2 weeks I think), and bringing in corrections to run the quarantine (not sure why corrections, but I suppose if they are available and capable?).

It will take time to get the latest outbreak down again but they are acting swiftly and I will be surprised if an outbreak doesn't appear somewhere else over the next few months.

DS
Way to soft on the security companies DSS
These are the same jokers who check bags at the G.... just go through the motions.
Cash payments, ghosting, use of temp visa workers etc, let alone the general dodginess of security industry...links to org crime and bikie gangs...,
I've always said best contract in business is a govt one...,

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Come on... Westminster system . Ministers take the heat...sack the public servant if you want but Mr Premierand Ms Minister you fall on your sword.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Sorry MDJ but this is a post from someone who clearly doesn’t understand how the Dept Health is organised and what CHOs actually do and don’t do.
He said today that he has no involvement in the hotel quarantine program and he said it because it’s the truth.
We should blame someone but we shouldn’t blame the wrong person/ people.
THe Racing Minister Martin Pukala has Ben outed as the culprit

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Thought this graph re demographics in Victoria was interesting. Most cases are in under 30s..
I still question the logic of having schools open.
Under 30 is a pretty broad demographicp, last time I looked once you are 18 you don't go to school and under 5 you don't. But join the Mitchell of 3AW bandwagon who wants schools closed for the rest of the year.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
i really dont think Andrews and the state government have made any mistakes.

Morrison on the other hand is *smile* hopeless. He is praising the vic government response. He clearly has no idea.
He has to keep all states on board. Same reason he is bagging premiers who have kept borders closed despite the popularity in those states. Big difference being PM of fair dinkum country who picks up the economic tab for the states and Premier of a rust belt state that would be on Job Starter if it was a person ..hello Steve Marshall.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So it was just luck? No incompetent management at all? Not buying that for a second.

NSW would have had more people in hotel quarantine than Victoria but they haven’t had an issue. Although the did have Ruby Princess.

For all the talk and hystronics that only Vic is using security guards, there is a gent standing outside my door in Sydney.
Extra chatty, mask hanging from one ear. No uniform but a smart suit - just the right blend of cheap and too large.
I havent questioned his employer but pound to peanuts NSW are using security firms at hotels to keep folks in rooms.

(Riddles obviously this post is not a stab, i just wanted to reference this particular conversation.
NSW are now introducing a daily limit of incoming folk after copping the vic overflow)

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
So it was just luck? No incompetent management at all? Not buying that for a second.

NSW would have had more people in hotel quarantine than Victoria but they haven’t had an issue. Although the did have Ruby Princess.
NSW Premier being let off the hook for watching on as so many died in an Aged Care centre.. state mandated manslaughter. If Army was the right entity to stop people sneaking out for a fag n a quarantine hotel , why weren't they engaged to handle a humanitarian crisis in the suburbs of Sydney. I just can't understand why Gladys has slipped the noose on Ruby Princess and Newmarch.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
At least your hero Trump did a great job protecting Hawaii! Screw the mainland anyway.
Just so i am clear to other readers,

Trump is not a hero of mine.

Democracy is.

Your conceited opinion of your opinion is remarkable.

Show me some stats on that one.

The way its going we might get to visit Trumps hawaii before Dans Victoria.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
A mate of mine who works in a Victorian Prison tells me their senior bosses have been seconded to take over the quarantine process. That's probably more the sort of tone the operation needs.
At last there will be a guaranteed supply of drugs for those in quarantine to pas the time.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
He has to keep all states on board. Same reason he is bagging premiers who have kept borders closed despite the popularity in those states. Big difference being PM of fair dinkum country who picks up the economic tab for the states and Premier of a rust belt state that would be on Job Starter if it was a person ..hello Steve Marshall.
Did he actually say what you quoted him for?
Bejezus! There are some zealot vics in the world.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Just so i am clear to other readers,

Trump is not a hero of mine.

Democracy is.

Your conceited opinion of your opinion is remarkable.

Show me some stats on that one.

The way its going we might get to visit Trumps hawaii before Dans Victoria.
We might get to Europe before Adelaide. Or Perth.