Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
That is a transparent quote and more honest in what Andrews has been. ADF proved yesterday Andrews lie yesterday. Refer ABC link I posted above. I don’t really like the answer by Scott Morrison. And I hope the reporters pressed him on the regulations. The issue is the regulations that will need a major update to protect our most vulnerable.

I read that article and it hardly proves that Daniel Andrews lied. There is plenty of fact finding still required to determine such a conclusion.

However deflecting blame is definitely a standard Scomo move.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
How can the system be under strain with 600cases in hospital when in the first lockdown we were told that one of its aims was to give breathing space to the medical fraternity to prepare for a bigger onslaughts? Recall Mention of 4000 ICU beds being prepared.

Whilst aged care has been bashed from plillar to post for letting the virus into their homes (and for some other work places) there is only sympathy for hospitals where there are cases galore ....eg Frankston hospital 50. given the abundant staff, resources, knowledge and commitment in our hospital system I was expecting them to be more secure .
the aged care sector is not being bashed for letting the virus in, their work practices, and response once the virus has been found that is being questioned.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
That is a transparent quote and more honest in what Andrews has been. ADF proved yesterday Andrews lie yesterday. Refer ABC link I posted above. I don’t really like the answer by Scott Morrison. And I hope the reporters pressed him on the regulations. The issue is the regulations that will need a major update to protect our most vulnerable.

Words are important, the General did not say they had offered to provide security at least not according to the reports I've read.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
hospitals are for people who need a reasonably high level of medical support, not to cover for aged care providers who decide meeting their residents' needs is too hard.
An elderly person with Coronavirus doesn't need a reasonably high level of medical support?
Age Care homes have never been meant to provide high level medical support.
They are there to provide comfort and company to the elderly.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
ADF had troops on standby and they were offered. Refer attached.

The sticking point is the use of ADF as security, they were offered and used in other states as support. It states "Lieutenant General Frewen said the ADF had been involved in a broad range of tasks, from baggage handling to concierge-type roles in hotel lobbies."

There is a lot of obfuscation going on about this. A far more pertinent point is how contact tracing failed to allow almost the whole second wave to come from 1 family of 4.

Edit to add: Andrews just stated in his presser that the ADF statement yesterday is consistent with what Andrew Crisp and he have stated, there were offers of support NOT security.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
While the blame game goes around in circles, at least the numbers seem to be going down.

COVID19 7 day ave 19082020.jpg

They have to keep going down and I reckon the Stage 4 restrictions will be with us until the end of October, Stage 3 maybe until Christmas and then maybe Stage 2 (as long as it really is under control) beyond Christmas.

This is going to be a long haul.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Similar numbers to David, but seeing onward reductions in numbers of active cases outside of Aged care and healthcare and reducing overall numbers.

Aged care and healthcare workers now make up 43.5% of current active cases compared to 18.9% on 23rd July showing the 2 completely different trends occurring since they started reporting this (and probably WHY they started reporting this).

Active cases outside of aged care and healthcare workers has decreased by over 1100 since 7th August (when the numbers started to decrease) which is about a 21% reduction since then.

1597804915575.png

1597804935796.png

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
How can the system be under strain with 600cases in hospital when in the first lockdown we were told that one of its aims was to give breathing space to the medical fraternity to prepare for a bigger onslaughts? Recall Mention of 4000 ICU beds being prepared.

Whilst aged care has been bashed from plillar to post for letting the virus into their homes (and for some other work places) there is only sympathy for hospitals where there are cases galore ....eg Frankston hospital 50. given the abundant staff, resources, knowledge and commitment in our hospital system I was expecting them to be more secure .
Public hospitals are still doing 70-80% of what they normally do as people are still getting sick in other ways, not everyone in a hospital is a COVID patient. Basically the only things that have reduced is non urgent elective surgery and less accidents.
That 20-30% is taken up with COVID patients and suspected COVID patients who aren't yet confirmed that are in special areas and aged care patients who have come from private aged care. Space has been taken up with expansion of ICU capacity replacing normal beds and a lot of staff are working in aged care and elsewhere at the request of the politicians and government. ( ICU capacity of 4000 may be australia wide but Victoria could never scale to anything like that )
By far the biggest group of health care workers who contracted COVID are from aged care but there are certainly clusters in public hospitals, the latest at Frankston. That will happen from time to time as asymptomatic workers come to work with it and various other methods but what I do know is that COVID passing between staff and patients either way has been limited but certainly not zero. That has been problem all over the world and it is incredibly difficult to stamp out and I also know that our levels in Victoria are quite low by world standards.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
On the vaccine, there's no actual deal yet despite what Scomo says:

What a surprise. Morrison getting the media bump by announcing something that might not happen, like bushfire relief.

Cheers for the graphs, lads. To go from 700 daily cases to just over 200 in a fortnight is a great achievement by the Victorian people. Hang in there, everyone. Call your friends.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
An elderly person with Coronavirus doesn't need a reasonably high level of medical support?
Age Care homes have never been meant to provide high level medical support.
They are there to provide comfort and company to the elderly.
despite the serious effects many elderly get not all do, and many do not need the level of medical treatment that requires hospitalisation.

and aged care providers get something like $200-300/day per resident (depending on need), plus residents typically pay at least another few hundred a week themselves. providers are expected to do a lot more than provide 'comfort and company."

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
On the vaccine, there's no actual deal yet despite what Scomo says:

It was never going to be anything more than that at this stage. Not sure what the point of you bringing this up.

Currently there is no vaccine, what Scomo has signed is an LOI with AstraZeneca to manufacture the virus in Australia should the vaccine be successful. There is no way that they could sign anything more than an LOI until the vaccine has been proven and we have also proven that we enough manufacturing capacity within Australia. I suspect (as they have mentioned CSL) that CSL has easily enough capacity to produce this so its pretty much another box to tick.

People are so quick to jump on anything to ridicule someone from the other side of politics.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
despite the serious effects many elderly get not all do, and many do not need the level of medical treatment that requires hospitalisation.

and aged care providers get something like $200-300/day per resident (depending on need), plus residents typically pay at least another few hundred a week themselves. providers are expected to do a lot more than provide 'comfort and company."

Where do you get "providers are expected to do a lot more than provide 'comfort and company" from?

It's certainly not in the legislation covering their operations.

They provide what they have to under the legislation and that doesn't include having Doctors in house.

The facilities are not designed to nor expected to provide major medical treatment. If a resident gets ill the facility will either call their designated GP, a GP of the facilities choice or an ambulance.

That might not be ideal but it's the situation that we have.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It was never going to be anything more than that at this stage. Not sure what the point of you bringing this up.

Currently there is no vaccine, what Scomo has signed is an LOI with AstraZeneca to manufacture the virus in Australia should the vaccine be successful. There is no way that they could sign anything more than an LOI until the vaccine has been proven and we have also proven that we enough manufacturing capacity within Australia. I suspect (as they have mentioned CSL) that CSL has easily enough capacity to produce this so its pretty much another box to tick.

People are so quick to jump on anything to ridicule someone from the other side of politics.

By the way, the best thing about this agreement, is that we do not have to rely on supply of the vaccine from overseas. We will be in control of manufacturing ourselves which will ensure that Australians get access to the virus as soon as possible. If we had to rely on overseas supply then we could be waiting a long time for access to it.