Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Because thats not how Scomo spun it and not how its being reported.

Your view of the spin or actually what he said. Nothing in here sounds like spin. Sounds like they have put a specific facility forwards for doing the production of the vaccine and that AZ just needs to be sure that it has the capacity. Bearing in mind where the vaccine is (still in trials) then the only way this could be signed is as an LOI. Not sure why you are focusing this as an anti-Scomo thing.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Your view of the spin or actually what he said. Nothing in here sounds like spin. Sounds like they have put a specific facility forwards for doing the production of the vaccine and that AZ just needs to be sure that it has the capacity. Bearing in mind where the vaccine is (still in trials) then the only way this could be signed is as an LOI. Not sure why you are focusing this as an anti-Scomo thing.

I'm pretty sure there'll soon be a link between the recent shark attacks and scomo.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm pretty sure there'll soon be a link between the recent shark attacks and scomo.

go to the shark attack thread, not sure what Lee's strategy is there but no-one's pinning it on the lazy marketing guy in Canberra

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
By the way, the best thing about this agreement, is that we do not have to rely on supply of the vaccine from overseas. We will be in control of manufacturing ourselves which will ensure that Australians get access to the virus as soon as possible. If we had to rely on overseas supply then we could be waiting a long time for access to it.
It's not what you meant but I guess that's technically correct :)

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
ADF had troops on standby and they were offered. Refer attached.

It's all a bit blurry now but I seem to remember confused reports months back that the ADF we're coming in to help & then those reports were denied by Andrews. I'm not sure why there was that confusion or how it all fits with the timeline but it did seem strange at the time that help was offered then rejected by Andrews. Were caveats attached? Was control being removed? I'd love to know what has really occurred and what was actually offered as opposed to what both sides are now claiming.
The power plays & blame game with hindsight ultimately does nobody any good.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'll be very interested in how the vaccine process unfolds.

I'm very comfortable but the thought of a process that usually takes a decade or more potentially being done so quickly does give me pause for thought.

It does seem quick, but the money invested in getting this vaccine is not a normal annual spend on 1 specific vaccine, its way way above that, so more money should accelerate the research.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Scott Morrison on 2GB - says a COVID vaccine will not be "compulsory" but the government wants as many people immunised as possible he says "there's been a bit of an over-reaction to any suggestion of this, there will be no compulsory vaccine" - but people will be "encouraged"

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I'm very comfortable but the thought of a process that usually takes a decade or more potentially being done so quickly does give me pause for thought.

may leave some future archeology species scratching their head how the human disappeared virtually overnight!

Comet? Bizarre mass suicide? MasterChef?

and how did the biggest little townsfolk Mullumbimby continue on for another 80 odd years, or 1/10,000th of a mm in the fossil record?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Scott Morrison on 2GB - says a COVID vaccine will not be "compulsory" but the government wants as many people immunised as possible he says "there's been a bit of an over-reaction to any suggestion of this, there will be no compulsory vaccine" - but people will be "encouraged"
Omg! That’s outrageous! pfft, typical Scotty from marketing.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

That's unfortunate, would have been good to see the anti-Vaxxers held down and injected against their will.

I guess it could be tied to other incentives - like kids who can't go to preschool unless they have been vaccinated.

• Haha

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

You won’t be able to take legal recourse either if it causes you harm.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Am I correct in thinking the plot from 'I am Legend' where Will Smith is the last man in New York is about a vaccine gone wrong?

One thing about the Last Man on Earth genre, it always turns out there are other people and he's not the last man on Earth.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
despite the serious effects many elderly get not all do, and many do not need the level of medical treatment that requires hospitalisation.

and aged care providers get something like $200-300/day per resident (depending on need), plus residents typically pay at least another few hundred a week themselves. providers are expected to do a lot more than provide 'comfort and company."
yes. Many are also in “hospital in the home” which is a level of care provided by health professionals without being admitted into a physical hospital

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Public hospitals are still doing 70-80% of what they normally do as people are still getting sick in other ways, not everyone in a hospital is a COVID patient. Basically the only things that have reduced is non urgent elective surgery and less accidents.
That 20-30% is taken up with COVID patients and suspected COVID patients who aren't yet confirmed that are in special areas and aged care patients who have come from private aged care. Space has been taken up with expansion of ICU capacity replacing normal beds and a lot of staff are working in aged care and elsewhere at the request of the politicians and government. ( ICU capacity of 4000 may be australia wide but Victoria could never scale to anything like that )
By far the biggest group of health care workers who contracted COVID are from aged care but there are certainly clusters in public hospitals, the latest at Frankston. That will happen from time to time as asymptomatic workers come to work with it and various other methods but what I do know is that COVID passing between staff and patients either way has been limited but certainly not zero. That has been problem all over the world and it is incredibly difficult to stamp out and I also know that our levels in Victoria are quite low by world standards.

I suspect space is also being taken up by the need to quarantine all the COVID and suspected COVID patients. Having a virus where a fair proportion of those infected are asymptomatic would be hell in a hospital. Lots of sick people you really need to separate from those who may have the virus. Must be bloody hard organising all of this.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I suspect space is also being taken up by the need to quarantine all the COVID and suspected COVID patients. Having a virus where a fair proportion of those infected are asymptomatic would be hell in a hospital. Lots of sick people you really need to separate from those who may have the virus. Must be bloody hard organising all of this.

DS
Yes . Hospitals have created COVID wards which are separate designated areas.