Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just shows how fragile footy season is going to be.

Likely, but these hard lockdowns for short periods seem to be working. The Brisbane 3 day lockdown seemed to work.

We still have very low numbers and transmission outside of the quarantine hotels is rare.

Here's hoping.

As for crowd numbers, I suspect the tennis will tell us a lot about how many will be allowed to go to footy games this year.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
So many quarantine breeches now in other States since Victoria’s but no other Premier vilified like Andrew’s was for the breech.
Despite all they should have learned since it doesn’t appear that easy to contain does it..

Sure Victoria’s track & trace may have been substandard (at the time) which lead to all the following problems, including the Federal aged care mess, but that’s a different argument.

The virus continues to spread in spite of best efforts to control it but now it just put down to ‘human error’.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just shows how fragile footy season is going to be.

yep.

I continue to be astonished at CBD international quarantine.

There is 1 common thread to every, single, outbreak.

Do epidemiology faculties Australia wide have a massive *smile* up very year the night before the 101 lecture on 'pandemics and population density' first week of first semester, lecture?

we put perfectly healthy international arrivals on Christmas Island and Naru,

and people with Covid in Pitts, Queens St, Swanson St and St. Georges Terrace?

What am I missing? Help me out here?

Does Scott Morisons wife own The Sheraton Group?

If we gave all refugees visas, and housed all international arrivals in remote detention centres,

wouldnt we all be able to live normal lives, see our families, go to the footy etc

after a fortnight?

genuine question.

why?

if the answer is proximity to hospitals

1. Is there any data on positive quarantine cases requiring hospitalisation?
2. what happens when refuges in detention get sick or injured?

Sure, we are amongst the luckiest people on Earth. But couldn't we be even luckier with a relatively simple, intuitive policy shift on quarantine?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
If we gave all refugees visas, and housed all international arrivals in remote detention centres,

wouldnt we all be able to live normal lives, see our families, go to the footy etc

after a fortnight?

genuine question.

why?

if the answer is proximity to hospitals

1. Is there any data on positive quarantine cases requiring hospitalisation?
2. what happens when refuges in detention get sick or injured?

Sure, we are amongst the luckiest people on Earth. But couldn't we be even luckier with a relatively simple, intuitive policy shift on quarantine?

Turns out remote quarantine facilities have been recommended to the government in the Halton report:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Likely, but these hard lockdowns for short periods seem to be working. The Brisbane 3 day lockdown seemed to work.

We still have very low numbers and transmission outside of the quarantine hotels is rare.

Here's hoping.

As for crowd numbers, I suspect the tennis will tell us a lot about how many will be allowed to go to footy games this year.

DS
I think with crowd numbers, the BBL is a better thing to take a line through. Same venues for a start.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We have had 2 cases of the highly contagious UK variant escape quarantine now. 1 in Qld and 1 in WA. both times the infected person was out and about for 5 days or so. The first time (Qld), only the infected persons bed partner caught it. The second time (WA), fingers crossed early data suggest nobody caught it, despite the blokes schedule being eye watering (Migrant worker, working like a borrowed horse I assume?)

so my genuine question is this: How come nobody catches this highly contagious mutant strain? are we so good at social distancing and sanitising, that highly contagious mutant strains dont spread? what is happening here?

Im not in any way a Covid sceptic or any other kind of internet anti-science *smile* head,

but I would like a rationale explanation as to the seeming disparity between how the govt gets so freaked out by a single case that they lock down millions of people and how nothing seems to eventuate? I get the hard and early strategy and I like it. I just dont get why 20 or 30 cases didnt pop up from direct contacts in the latest Qld and WA events, especially given the reported highly contagious mutancy

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
We have had 2 cases of the highly contagious UK variant escape quarantine now. 1 in Qld and 1 in WA. both times the infected person was out and about for 5 days or so. The first time (Qld), only the infected persons bed partner caught it. The second time (WA), fingers crossed early data suggest nobody caught it, despite the blokes schedule being eye watering (Migrant worker, working like a borrowed horse I assume?)

so my genuine question is this: How come nobody catches this highly contagious mutant strain? are we so good at social distancing and sanitising, that highly contagious mutant strains dont spread? what is happening here?

Im not in any way a Covid sceptic or any other kind of internet anti-science *smile* head,

but I would like a rationale explanation as to the seeming disparity between how the govt gets so freaked out by a single case that they lock down millions of people and how nothing seems to eventuate? I get the hard and early strategy and I like it. I just dont get why 20 or 30 cases didnt pop up from direct contacts in the latest Qld and WA events, especially given the reported highly contagious mutancy
Yeah I call *smile* on the "highly contagious" label too.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think with crowd numbers, the BBL is a better thing to take a line through. Same venues for a start.

Hadn't thought of that, don't really follow BBL (or tennis but being a Grand Slam tournament it is harder to avoid) and generally only watch tests. What sort of crowd numbers are being allowed in the BBL and where are they being played?

To reply to another post, really not sure why we are not seeing more cases from the Queensland and WA infections. Could be luck, could be that we are being more careful after so many months of coping with COVID, the weather could be a factor . . . Time will tell but hopefully the short hard lockdown strategy will work.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Hadn't thought of that, don't really follow BBL (or tennis but being a Grand Slam tournament it is harder to avoid) and generally only watch tests. What sort of crowd numbers are being allowed in the BBL and where are they being played?

To reply to another post, really not sure why we are not seeing more cases from the Queensland and WA infections. Could be luck, could be that we are being more careful after so many months of coping with COVID, the weather could be a factor . . . Time will tell but hopefully the short hard lockdown strategy will work.

DS
Pretty sure they’ve played games at the G. Not sure in the other states, but Manuka’s been used. Also got 30K into the G for the Boxing Day test.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Pretty sure they’ve played games at the G. Not sure in the other states, but Manuka’s been used. Also got 30K into the G for the Boxing Day test.

30K is not bad, announcement today that offices will likely go to 75% capacity from next week. Can we look forward to at least 50K by round 1 I wonder.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
30K is not bad, announcement today that offices will likely go to 75% capacity from next week. Can we look forward to at least 50K by round 1 I wonder.

DS

Lets say purely hypothetically (suspend all legal and moral and technological assumptions)

that the AFL introduced a 'no vaccination, no watch footy policy'

(lets just say you had to scan a vac certificate at the ticket gate for entry).

Could 100k then safety stuff into The G? would 100K vaccinated footy fans be unable to have and/or transmit Covid?

I still dont know much about epidemiology

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You can carry and transmit the virus when vaccinated apparently. Smaller time window as your body knows where to find the virus and kick the *smile* out of it, but still a window of opportunity.

If they allow it in Melbourne it proves once and for all Dan is trying to commit genocide. If they do it in NSW, they are liberating the people and caring about their mental health.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's fair to question it. Convenient crutch for bad management?

if it is 70% more contagious, wouldnt that mean that the mutant is 70% better at something

and so if you were following science,

the policy would make social distancing 70% further, or masks 70% thicker, vaccination 70% faster, sanitiser 70% stronger, security guards trained and paid 70% more, or quarantine 70% longer?

I dunno?

like Oldy says, there seems to be a correlation between transmissibility and having a really useless *smile* head of state (UK, USA, Brazil?)

I have to admit to experiencing some dissonance between listening to the science,

and the stuff on high rotation in the credible media.

is there any science on increased contagion, mutation etc?

I understand (like @Coburgtiger has pointed out), that pathogens evolve to become more transmissible, but less harmful to the host. that makes sense.

is the more contagious mutant less harmful?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
One thing of notice that's coming out of the UK & not being reported too much is that patients/victims seem to be much younger than they were when the virus first appeared.