Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
The most worrying thing I've heard from Gladys over the last few days is how she was talking about cases arising from fleeting contact like it was brand new news, despite the fact that the VIC health authorities were saying the exact same terms 3-4 weeks ago.

She and Hazzard the last few days have acted as though this is all new info when it all came to light with the last Vic outbreak.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
@mrposhman I present to you, the Australian Newspaper... both mention the word "fleeting contact," but completely contrasting headlines.

View attachment 12649
Pfft, the Victoria headline was well down the track. An earlier one from June 1:

bj9IUxh.jpg

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Had my 2nd A Z jab today. While I was waiting the necessary 15 minutes after it, the guy next to me got his mob phone out. I said, you won't need that soon you'll have internal 5G.
We had a bit of a chuckle :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I see the henny pennys our back out in force. Don't have to go back too far in this thread to see similar commentary on the previous NSW outbreak. And the one before that. The desperation for Gladys to fail is palpable.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
AstraZeneca to be phased out of Aussie jab rollout (paywalled)

The Melbourne-made AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine will be phased out of Australia’s rollout from October as deliveries of the Moderna vaccine begin to reach our shores.

The AstraZeneca jab has already been limited to Australians over 60 because of concerns over extremely rare blood clots in some recipients.

But Australia’s top scientists are rolling up their sleeves for their second AstraZeneca shots and are encouraging others who have already had one dose to do the same, as they declare the vaccine rollout is the best and safest way out of the pandemic.

A six-month plan for the rollout, unveiled by the federal government on Wednesday, shows Victoria is expected to receive up to 30,000 Moderna doses a week in September which would be administered by GPs.

Between October and December, deliveries of the mRNA jab to Victoria will increase to up to 148,000 a week, as authorities push to vaccinate the nation by Christmas.

Amid mounting criticism from the state government about supply constraints, the plan shows weekly Pfizer doses will increase from up to 177,000 in August to up 317,000 in September, and then as many 570,000 shots a week by the end of the year.

State-run Pfizer hubs will be given up to 162,000 shots a week in September and then up to 200,000 a week in the final quarter of the year, with GPs receiving similar supplies until their role is massively expanded from October with up to 370,000 doses a week.

The plan says that from October, the AstraZeneca vaccine will be available for GPs on request. It does not include the Novavax jab, which the federal government is also hopeful will be part of the rollout later in the year.

As of Wednesday, Victoria became the first state to record two million Covid-19 jabs.

Chief health officer Brett Sutton urged Victorians to ignore misinformation and anti-vaccine rhetoric, conceding some had been a “bit spooked” by last week’s changed AstraZeneca advice.

As some of the 840,000 Australians aged 50-59 who had their first AstraZeneca shot without complication, Doherty Institute director Prof Sharon Lewin said she and her scientific counterparts couldn’t wait to receive their second dose.

“Vaccines are great — they are our only exit strategy out of this,” Prof Lewin said.

“We have choices of good vaccines that will all prevent disease.”

There have been just 1.5 clot cases per million second doses of AstraZeneca, and Walter and Eliza Hall Institute director Prof Doug Hilton said the vaccines were extremely safe.

“There are so many more risky things we all do,” Prof Hilton said.

“Do not wait for the next lockdown — let’s not have another one.”

Murdoch Children’s Research Institute director Prof Kathryn North said it was a “miracle of medical science” to have a selection of effective vaccines, but Australia had been “complacent” about the jab as other countries raced ahead in the rollout.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
We are doing well in vaccination rate in Vic. 30% is most of the 5 big states.
NSsW and WA the laggards 24%. its more critical for Victorians than other states to get vaccinated due to our colder weather.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Gee that article from the HUN must be the only commentary claiming that the vaccination programme is going, sorry, is going to, go well . . . eventually.

I particularly like the use of the words "up to" before every quoted number. Wonder why they are doing this? Oh that's right, because the government's latest press release on the vaccine rollout is deliberately vague.

It's a f*** up and everyone knows it.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
SA has closed their border to NSW. Wondering why we haven’t done the same. We are a state that just simply can not risk a re-lapse of outbreaks right now.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
SA has closed their border to NSW. Wondering why we haven’t done the same. We are a state that just simply can not risk a re-lapse of outbreaks right now.
Agree, close the border. People aren't allowed to travel here from Sydney or Wollongong but as we've seen, that won't stop them. I don't think Melburnians will tolerate another lockdown right now, especially a preventable one.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
1 case in VIC (already in Iso)
18 cases in NSW (including the 13 already announced yesterday, plus another 6 so far for tomorrows numbers).
3 cases in QLD.

Gladys presser at 12:30.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmm, worrying in NSW, maybe a short, 2 day, lockdown could be on the cards (or 3 days to prevent spread over the weekend).

If they can stop this in its tracks with a short lockdown it might be worth it.

Wonder how many sites are an issue, I think it was more the number of places people could have caught COVID that led to our recent lock down, rather than the number of cases. Also will depend on how many f the new cases were already isolating.

DS