Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

What I find funny about anti-vax and anti-lockdown people is that they tell us to “keep hiding under the bed while we live our lives.” The irony of this is that at some point, we will be the ones allowed to live our lives (travel, go to the footy, etc), while they will be pariahs who are stuck at home in quasi lockdown because not even their local pub will let them inside to enjoy a pint.
You say that but I fear the protests & unrest will only get bigger in Sydney. The most individually minded city in Australia.

Reactions: 1 user
wonder if anyone has ever coordinated a March for vaccination and for community spirit and against selfishness. would That attract a big crowd? I’ve never rallied in my life and would probably go to that to just overwhelm the numbers of the stupidity marches.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the vaccination? Unless only the vaccinated march? But if there's any sort of grass roots movement or campaign for vaccination, you can count me in.

You say that but I fear the protests & unrest will only get bigger in Sydney. The most individually minded city in Australia.

When you have dickheads like Jones & now Bolt up in Sydney, please the other Sky antivax knobs Sydney based, NSW politicians speaking out against lockdowns, then having been told for the past year that the Sydney Gold Standard way is no or light lockdowns while the Vic hard lockdown is a Dictator Dan led breach of civil liberties, rights and possibly crimes against humanity, then yeah, I reckon there will be more protests in Sydney.

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the vaccination? Unless only the vaccinated march? But if there's any sort of grass roots movement or campaign for vaccination, you can count me in.
Yeah I was thinking outdoors socially distanced mask wearing when no one infectious in community. . Maybe I didn’t think it through enough. guess I’m looking for some way for what I hope is the silent majority to have a voice.

Last edited:
Not getting vaccinated, protesting about vaccines, complaining that there will be restrictions on people who are not vaccinated: this is a classic case of people wanting to promote a very individualistic version of freedom without responsibility. Freedom is a double sided coin - it comes with responsibility, you cannot separate freedom from responsibility. The people who are opposing lockdowns, opposing restrictions on those who are not vaccinated (once everyone has the opportunity) are unwilling to take responsibility for their choice. We live in communities, we interact with other people in a number of overlapping communities - work, local community, people who go to the football, etc. The freedom to participate in various communities comes with responsibilities, you have to consider more than just your own narrow interests and consider what is good for the various communities you are part of. That said, one of the biggest problems with the people who go to events like the demonstrations on the weekend is that they are feeling disconnected from the larger community, as with most of these things there is always some basis for their feeling, but also some opportunists who are willing to exploit genuine disenchantment for their own ends. The whole anti-vaxxer thing reflects badly on how a fair number of people are feeling disconnected from their communities and wider society.

That said, we are all better off if as many people as possible get vaccinated. What needs to be addressed is why people are feeling disconnected from society and lashing out, why they don't feel that they should take into account the wider interests of society as a whole.

The numbers in Vic are hopeful today, if they stay down and those who test positive are connected to existing cases and already isolated, we can get out of lockdown.

We'll see what it looks like in NSW today and over the next few days. Hard to see how the numbers will improve there at the moment, but even a plateau could be progress, because that would mean the spread is limited and hopefully the opportunity to stop the spread is close.

DS

Is your point that individual freedoms are sacrosanct irrespective of whether or not they harm or kill other people?

are you able to answer my questions directly - you ignored them to provide your ‘cryptic take down’.

I’m genuinely curious as to what is the basis of your opinions. There is clearly another way of running the country to the way we are doing it now but I haven’t wrapped my head around advocating for a situation like India or Indonesia or if people think there is a way to not have that happen whilst opening up with our double vaccination rates so low.

this says we may need 90-95% penetration with delta to get herd immunity. Think individual freedoms need to take a back step on this one unless some medical reason to not do it.
Astute person you are :) Your just hitting the dart board

692 pages of posts, your hissy fit isn't really important enough for me to go back to want to research your posting history.

Simple fact is the world will start to treat those choosing not to get vaccinated differently, much like they have with Anti-vaxxers and their kids. I've got no real issue with it.

You choose to be a risk to society, society protects itself from that risk. Sometimes individual rights take a back-seat for the common good.

Still have no idea what democracy has to do with it.
Not my fault u are lazy not to check and make poor assumptions. Your not that important either to be honest

When you have dickheads like Jones & now Bolt up in Sydney, please the other Sky antivax knobs Sydney based, NSW politicians speaking out against lockdowns, then having been told for the past year that the Sydney Gold Standard way is no or light lockdowns while the Vic hard lockdown is a Dictator Dan led breach of civil liberties, rights and possibly crimes against humanity, then yeah, I reckon there will be more protests in Sydney.
Actually thats a myth. A number are pro Vax. But lets not let the facts get in the way. NSW health minister made bad assumptions too. yr not him are u?

Gladys is a strange one. Still high numbers of people out in the community, but she is still providing hope to people that restrictions will ease at least in some way on July 31st. Why is she giving that view? Is she actually planning on "living with it" or is she just providing hope where there isn't any?

NSW has 145 new local cases Up to 87 infectious in the community.

How much is the quasi lockdown costing Australian Taxpayers in support payments?
How many people have to get sick & die before Gladys gets serious?

Not getting vaccinated, protesting about vaccines, complaining that there will be restrictions on people who are not vaccinated: this is a classic case of people wanting to promote a very individualistic version of freedom without responsibility. Freedom is a double sided coin - it comes with responsibility, you cannot separate freedom from responsibility. The people who are opposing lockdowns, opposing restrictions on those who are not vaccinated (once everyone has the opportunity) are unwilling to take responsibility for their choice. We live in communities, we interact with other people in a number of overlapping communities - work, local community, people who go to the football, etc. The freedom to participate in various communities comes with responsibilities, you have to consider more than just your own narrow interests and consider what is good for the various communities you are part of. That said, one of the biggest problems with the people who go to events like the demonstrations on the weekend is that they are feeling disconnected from the larger community, as with most of these things there is always some basis for their feeling, but also some opportunists who are willing to exploit genuine disenchantment for their own ends. The whole anti-vaxxer thing reflects badly on how a fair number of people are feeling disconnected from their communities and wider society.

That said, we are all better off if as many people as possible get vaccinated. What needs to be addressed is why people are feeling disconnected from society and lashing out, why they don't feel that they should take into account the wider interests of society as a whole.

The numbers in Vic are hopeful today, if they stay down and those who test positive are connected to existing cases and already isolated, we can get out of lockdown.

We'll see what it looks like in NSW today and over the next few days. Hard to see how the numbers will improve there at the moment, but even a plateau could be progress, because that would mean the spread is limited and hopefully the opportunity to stop the spread is close.

DS

If & when an antivaxxer gets Covid, I wonder if they expect "society" & the Public health system to look after them.

Or should they just lie back in their homes & expire, excercising their rights to not be a burden on the society they thumb their noses at.

I think I know the answer.

Gladys is a strange one. Still high numbers of people out in the community, but she is still providing hope to people that restrictions will ease at least in some way on July 31st. Why is she giving that view? Is she actually planning on "living with it" or is she just providing hope where there isn't any?
They’ve given up on “lock downs”. It’s all too hard, and no one has ever done it successfully anyway (they were the first to have Delta, don’t you know).
Pinning all their hopes on vaccinations now

They’ve given up on “lock downs”. It’s all too hard, and no one has ever done it successfully anyway (they were the first to have Delta, don’t you know).
Pinning all their hopes on vaccinations now

Certainly sounds like that. Kerry Chant just commented that "Delta is so much faster than what we've seen before, before we can get to those families to tell them to isolate, they are already infectious".

Yeah, thats because you didn't lockdown quick enough and have overwhelmed your contact tracers. VIC seem to be handling this spread well, we manage to get there before they become infectious and thats purely because we locked down early and hard.

NSW seem to think that the vaccine is some kind of silver bullet. How much Pfizer are the whole country getting in August? 1m? Even if that was all given to the SW Sydney population, what would that cover, maybe 50-60% of them? It takes a min of 2 weeks to gain efficacy right? So, we will be midway into September before they start to see the impact of the vaccine.

If they are using the vaccine as the silver bullet then they don't have the time to wait for Pfizer they need to start pushing AZ much better.

NSW has 145 new local cases Up to 87 infectious in the community.

How much is the quasi lockdown costing Australian Taxpayers in support payments?
How many people have to get sick & die before Gladys gets serious?
Not sure there is much more she can do now other than a "ring of steel" and travel restrictions like a 5km radius. She should do both but I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. It is clear that people in Sydney are ignoring the restrictions and still having family gatherings which appears to be the main source of transmission. Until people start abiding by the restrictions things won't improve. If the police get heavy handed and start enforcing the restrictions then all the bleeding hearts will start crying about persecution.

Do the right thing people of Sydney.

Reactions: 2 users
No its not ! Pathetic to create a 2 tier class system via vax & Im pro vax.

If people want to attend irrespective & know the risk, its their choice!

france is having massive issues with protests over his vax policies. its a democracy & not mandated to have a vax

My gut feel govt & afl using the footy as a sly agenda. A r holes, not bold move imo
The problem is tho, the vaccines are not 100% effective. less people transmit, and less people get critically ill, but some still do. others wont be able to get vaccinated for health reasons.
if 100k are allowed at the G, with no limits on unvaccinated going, we will end up with heaps of the virus in the community putting many people at risk.

it will be a choice between letting those vaccinated to go, or keeping tight limits on numbers.