Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
You think he's sat on his hands and done nothing? This is on all the idiots who refuse to take the basic precautions and attend moronic protests and have illegal gatherings.
Think you need to move past that thinking, seems to simplistic to be the reason.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
In the end there is only so much can be done. There is finite space, generations of Governments Labor and Liberal have failed to invest in the physical hospital infrastructure over more than 20 years. There is a finite workforce already stretched and tired, there is no bench of qualified workers to call on.

I have seen reports about Ambulance ramping but we have to make sure we don't solve the wrong problem. We may well need more ambos but more ambulances now will just lead to longer ambulance ramping queues because the problem is in the hospitals, not in the emergency departments but further downstream. If beds are full because patients are being discharged at a rate slower than what is coming in then ambulances ramp, there is nowhere to put the patients. Discharges are being effected by staff shortages but also because COVID patients are staying a long time. When ICU's are expanded they have to do in a physical space and taking that space just reduces other general bed space. The system is doing what it can by delaying non urgent surgery and using Private hospitals for public surgeries but there is a breaking point and we are edging closer to it

There is only so much the system administrators can do and politicians can do
Sin,

Is the hospital capacity (physical , staff etc) to treat COVId any greater today than Jan 2020?

I appreciate all your patient explanations about constraints and histoical factors and also understand that a switch cannot be flicked ( like the one theTigers were meant to flick from Rd 13) to create the capacity overnight.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
You think he's sat on his hands and done nothing? This is on all the idiots who refuse to take the basic precautions and attend moronic protests and have illegal gatherings.
What has he done to build capacity? The system is stressed now and we all know it’s going to get a lot worse. Health staff can’t even have a basic little holiday or go camping to recharge their batteries. How else are we going to protect the staff from burn out?

Lockdown is not going to work when unvaccinated idiots are going around doing what they like. And there is no way to stop them now. Last week unfortunately proved that.

It’s time for some forward thinking outlining the extra freedoms that people can enjoy outside if they are fully vaccinated. We need to reward the 90% of the population who are doing the right thing.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yes the idiots who don't follow the rules are certainly to blame. But if it's fair enough to criticise Gladys then Andrews is also fair game. It's quite bizarre how he gets defended so stridently yet he has presided over clearly the worst performing state in this pandemic. And it's not over yet.

Gladys' handling of this latest outbreak in the initial stages was terrible and she has rightly copped her whack for it. But I reckon the thing that riles many about Dan is his smarminess; his air of supposed superiority. Tweeting out "zero" and then 2 hours later we find there are more cases which have turned a 7 day circuit breaker into a 10 week lock down with numbers getting worse every day. Looking down his nose at the podium saying "we don't want to end up like Sydney". I guess he got that right; it's worse than Sydney. We are miles ahead of where they were at the same stages of the respective outbreaks and we've had a much harder lockdown. The harsh and punitive restrictions have clearly not worked in this lockdown.

Dan loves receiving the bouquets; he needs to cop the brickbats as well. He can't keep blaming everyone else.

Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Any idea who should face charges for last year's HQ failures too?

I would welcome a Royal Commission into Australia’s handling of COVID as long as there are no limits to what/who they can investigate and all stakeholders (state and federal) must appear to answer questions. But... this is why there will never be a Royal Commision. I'm tipping the HQ errors in Victoria will pale into insignificance compared to the bigger errors made in Canberra and Sydney.

You just throw your *smile* hands in the air. I'm vaxxed, I only go out to work, and to shop, briefly, wear a mask, and *smile* can just thumb their noses and *smile* it for everyone.

yep. i texted my misses this morning about this and said "why the f… should we follow the rules when other c…s aren’t?” its so infuriating.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
These people are not solely the problem. ...... but....

Apart from anything else, the powers that be should have reigned in the construction industry right from the start.....
They are and continued to be a law (many of them) unto themselves and their attitude to prevention on site has always been a case of what you can get away with and no doubt it's what they do when they're out in the community.

Many (not all) are self absorbed young blokes and imo they do not believe the rules apply to them!

The example many of them set for apprentices etc through both their actions and basically just peer group pressure is disgraceful sometimes!

Btw... as a semi retired tradie.... I know what they (not all) are like!

Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Imagine how many cases we didn't have our lockdown?
Dunno. Sydney had a less harsh lockdown and will end up less cases. The trend certainly backs that. The lockdown should probably have allowed more contact in less risky outdoor environments which may well have lead people to abandon the more risky secretive indoor meetings.

I get that is hindsight though.

Reactions: 3 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Looking from afar the Vic Government needs to stand aside . Totally dysfunctional in many areas , not only health . You will have 10,000 cases shortly if something drastic doesn’t happen . Many aspects of the Government is poor . Example try ringing Vic Roads, you might be lucky if they answer within an hour
Current health situation is caused by extremely poor management. Take your political hat off ! Facts are poor and mis management is to blame
People in roles where there aspirations are greater than there actual ability !!

• Haha
  • Dislike

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Although it is yet to be clearly proven, it is highly likely that those who are fully vaccinated are not contagious or have little potential to pass the virus on. The Sydney numbers support this..
If we accept this to be so, then.......it means the current breakout is caused by the unvaccinated , not complying with the rules and spreading covid , by not wearing masks, visiting others, demonstrating etc.
As previously predicted, this will largely be from now on, a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

So.....as each person becomes fully vaccinated they should be permitted a return to a more normal life. These are not the ones causing or propagating the pandemic, nor in most part, needing hospital or icu care.
Open hairdressing, sport, cafes , travel ,work places etc to these people.
The unvaccinated must wait.
Those that do not comply should be rigidly prosecuted to dissuade non compliance. This has been a weakness.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
What has he done to build capacity? The system is stressed now and we all know it’s going to get a lot worse. Health staff can’t even have a basic little holiday or go camping to recharge their batteries. How else are we going to protect the staff from burn out?

Lockdown is not going to work when unvaccinated idiots are going around doing what they like. And there is no way to stop them now. Last week unfortunately proved that.

It’s time for some forward thinking outlining the extra freedoms that people can enjoy outside if they are fully vaccinated. We need to reward the 90% of the population who are doing the right thing.

Yep, i don't listen to what politicians are telling me I am listening to Doctors, Nurses and Ambo's on the front line.
They were interviewing a VIC doctor on A Current Affair last night about VIC capacity etc., already stretched to the max staff been dealing with it for 2 years and at wit's end. He looked drained and despondent and trying his best not to look defeated. Sobering interview.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
I would welcome a Royal Commission into Australia’s handling of COVID as long as there are no limits to what/who they can investigate and all stakeholders (state and federal) must appear to answer questions. But... this is why there will never be a Royal Commision. I'm tipping the HQ errors in Victoria will pale into insignificance compared to the bigger errors made in Canberra and Sydney
Nah, disagree, vic state has so much to answer for compared to anyone else. So so much more.

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Apart from anything else, the powers that be should have reigned in the construction industry right from the start.....
They are and continued to be a law (many of them) unto themselves and their attitude to prevention on site has always been a case of what you can get away with and no doubt it's what they do when they're out in the community.

Many (not all) are self absorbed young blokes and imo they do not believe the rules apply to them!

The example many of them set for apprentices etc through both their actions and basically just peer group pressure is disgraceful sometimes!

Spot on TBV. Called this out months ago. (Might have even been during our preceding lockdown.)

They’ve always been a massive problem. And continue to be.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I'm tipping the HQ errors in Victoria will pale into insignificance compared to the bigger errors made in Canberra and Sydney.

Which is why Scott is desperately trying to keep national cabinet deliberations under wraps.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Thats a different question, your original post implied he hadn't done enough. The actions the government took this outbreak were done quickly and were in accordance with most of the medical experts and indeed were measures that had worked before. The fact that large swathes of the population had basically had enough and refused to take the precautions almost right from the start of this outbreak were unpredictable. But once that became obvious he switched gears to trying to hold back the tide whilst ramping up vaccinations and now they do have a plan to open up based on the nationally agreed plan. Could he have been a bit more nuanced, sure, NSW have certainly done some things better whilst doing a lot poorly. The whole debate over capacity has been argued ad nauseum here and Sintiger is the most informed here on that aspect.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Spot on mate. That way that industry operates is dreadful. It thinks it is a law unto itself.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yes the idiots who don't follow the rules are certainly to blame. But if it's fair enough to criticise Gladys then Andrews is also fair game. It's quite bizarre how he gets defended so stridently yet he has presided over clearly the worst performing state in this pandemic. And it's not over yet.

Gladys' handling of this latest outbreak in the initial stages was terrible and she has rightly copped her whack for it. But I reckon the thing that riles many about Dan is his smarminess; his air of supposed superiority. Tweeting out "zero" and then 2 hours later we find there are more cases which have turned a 7 day circuit breaker into a 10 week lock down with numbers getting worse every day. Looking down his nose at the podium saying "we don't want to end up like Sydney". I guess he got that right; it's worse than Sydney. We are miles ahead of where they were at the same stages of the respective outbreaks and we've had a much harder lockdown. The harsh and punitive restrictions have clearly not worked in this lockdown.

All premiers have been guilty of making ill considered comments about other states and yes Gladys has done some things in a better way, not most but some.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sin,

Is the hospital capacity (physical , staff etc) to treat COVId any greater today than Jan 2020?

I appreciate all your patient explanations about constraints and histoical factors and also understand that a switch cannot be flicked ( like the one theTigers were meant to flick from Rd 13) to create the capacity overnight.
A bit, not substantially more.

A few things have been done.

One is quicker implementation of hospital in the home programs to have patients treated at home rather in hospital beds. The second is that the state is essentially buying capacity from private hospitals and those private hospitals have that capacity because both public and private non urgent elective surgery has been delayed. Third there are plans put in place last year to utlilise dormant old capacity ( like the old Peter Mac and the old St Georges hospital in Kew) as well as plans to set up beds in places like the Convention centre.

The issue is staff. Anyone who has a current registration has been contacted to see if they will work, casual nurse agencies have been fully tapped out, some mundane things done by nurses have been transferred to other less qualified staff and nurses who have been doing things like education have been seconded back into wards. The problem is that the demand side has ballooned as well with things like testing, vaccinations, hotel quarantine and the like.

It takes years to plan and build hospitals and it takes years to build a qualified workforce through universities and the like. We can't import staff, 457 and permanent visas are almost non-existent so that supply line is severely reduced.

I hope we have learned a couple of things from this. Firstly the Commonwealth/State health responsibility and funding sharing that happens now doesn't work. It is cumbersome, wasteful and inefficient. The other is that we have to invest in all aspects of our public system which includes physical infrastructure replacement and upgrade. That includes systems because the ability to provide data in this pandemic has also been very difficult for the public system because their IT systems have never been properly funded by government.

Reactions: 4 users