Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
With the recent report showing that the lockdown of the high rise flats to be a breach of human rights, and not based on health advise. I hope there is not legal action taken against the Government.

I thought it was reasonable at the time. I just don’t want to plunge our state into even more debt.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
3,500 people in the states died from Covid in the last 24 hours:confused:
Just an horrendous situation over there. Trump is a disaster on so many fronts but is complete mishandling of the pandemic is in a league of its own.

"It will just go away. It will be like a miracle." :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It will be galling for you when Dan and Labor get re-elected.
It was galling last time. I would've voted for Eddie McGuire before Andrews. The Victorian public put its head in the oven and turned on the gas.

Meanwhile the Sydney cluster is up to 17 cases. Stay-at-home order for the northern beaches. Summer in danger of being cancelled?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It was galling last time. I would've voted for Eddie McGuire before Andrews. The Victorian public put its head in the oven and turned on the gas.

Meanwhile the Sydney cluster is up to 17 cases. Stay-at-home order for the northern beaches. Summer in danger of being cancelled?
fortunately most have electric ovens these days.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
With the recent report showing that the lockdown of the high rise flats to be a breach of human rights, and not based on health advise. I hope there is not legal action taken against the Government.

I thought it was reasonable at the time. I just don’t want to plunge our state into even more debt.
It’s a report by the ombudsman. Won’t have any effect really.
I wasn’t against it, I just wish it was done a bit more humanely. I know people who worked in the flats during the lockdown and the residents weren’t treated well and the communication was pretty bad

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
The UK's half baked approach has been a disaster. Glad we went hard when infections started to increase & didn't take an on off approach.
Tooheys, I’ve lived in the UK (SW London) for nearly 25 years and can tell you it is a vastly different beast to Victoria. The UK is roughly the same size as Victoria but has 10 times the population. London is one of the main financial hubs in the world and cannot just be ‘shut down’ on a whim. Keeping people apart is almost impossible, simply due to physical logistics.

I appreciate the sentiment that a lengthy full lock down is probably the only way to eradicate COVID (although I do think its return to Victoria is imminent), you simply can’t keep London (and the UK) in lockdown.

I for one am happy to take responsibility for my own well-being by doing the right things (mask, hand sanitiser, distance, no gatherings, etc) but also appreciate that I can play golf, go to the gym, run, play tennis with my kids, etc, and keep my sanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

You know best

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Normally ALP scream blue murder when someone's human rights are violated. But this is a case where the rights of the rest of us are more important than the high rise social housing residents so ALP say Human Rights Commissioner GAGF.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
It’s a report by the ombudsman. Won’t have any effect really.
I wasn’t against it, I just wish it was done a bit more humanely. I know people who worked in the flats during the lockdown and the residents weren’t treated well and the communication was pretty bad
Yep who gives a stuff what the ombudsman thinks.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yep who gives a stuff what the ombudsman thinks.
I didn’t say that. It will have no effect because it has no legal standing and the Government has already rejected that it broke any law.
The ombudsman can only recommend that something get referred to legal authorities, she cannot prosecute.
That’s very unlikely to happen.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sydney reportedly preparing to announce a surge in infections. People are being asked to get tested and self-quarantine for 14 days, encompassing Christmas. Ain't gonna happen.

Close it, Dan. Now.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

‘We have failed’: Sweden’s king delivers damning verdict on nation’s coronavirus strategy

Bevan Shields
Sydney Morning Herald
December 18, 2020

Sweden’s king says his country’s coronavirus response has “failed”, as public faith in the anti-lockdown strategy’s chief architect falls and intensive care capacity is breached in Stockholm.

In a rare royal rebuke of government policy, King Carl XVI Gustaf said the number of deaths in Sweden - which has shunned a nationwide lockdown and the wearing of face masks - had been “terrible”.

“I believe we have failed,” the 74-year-old said in excerpts from a television program to air on December 21.

“We have had a large number of deaths and that is terrible. That is something that brings us all suffering.

“The people of Sweden have suffered tremendously in difficult conditions. One thinks of all the family members who have happened to be unable to say goodbye to their deceased family members.”

Sweden’s unorthodox approach to the pandemic made it a lightning rod for those who support lockdowns and others who believe such strict measures are not sustainable on health grounds or worth the economic cost.

Nearly 7900 people have died from COVID-19 in Sweden since the start of year compared to 961 in nearby Denmark, 466 in Finland and 395 in Norway.

Adjusted for population size, Sweden’s death toll is about 10 times higher than Norway and Finland and about five times greater than Denmark.

However it is lower than other countries in Europe which opted for hard lockdowns during the first and second waves like the United Kingdom, France, Spain and Italy.

Sweden announced a record 8881 new infections on Thursday, local time, hours after the king’s comments were made public. Its case rate has been growing faster than most other countries in Europe over the past fortnight.

Stockholm regional health director Bjorn Eriksson also revealed this week that the usual capacity of the capital’s intensive care units had been breached.

“We are far beyond 100 per cent of capacity in intensive care,” he told reporters. “We are approaching almost double the number of available spaces.”

Sweden has drawn praise and heavy criticism for leaving restaurants, shops and schools open in favour of asking the public to voluntarily social distance and act responsibly. Health authorities have also actively discouraged the wearing of face masks.

But the government has been inching away from its light-touch approach over recent weeks by imposing localised restrictions and limits on how many people can gather in public.

Anders Tegnell, the state epidemiologist and architect of Sweden’s response, defended his record during an interview with broadcaster TV4 but conceded the country was in trouble.

“More or less all countries are struggling with this,” he said.

“We are beginning to approach breaking point in many different aspects. I understand that healthcare is having a very tough time now...the staff are worn out.”

An Ipsos poll of nearly 1300 voters published by Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter found support for Tegnell has fallen 13 points since October to 59 per cent. Support for the Swedish Public Health Agency tumbled from 68 per cent in October to just 52 per cent now.

Tegnell this week said he was “surprised” by the intensity of Europe’s second wave - echoing comments from Prime Minister Stefan Lofven who on Monday said experts had underestimated the risk of a resurgence.

“It was not like we were not prepared for something to happen again, but no one could predict that it would be with this strength,” Lofven said.

He conceded Sweden had failed to protect nursing home residents despite risks to the elderly being well understood early in the pandemic.

The European Commission’s autumn economic forecast - prepared before the continent’s second wave - forecast Sweden’s GDP to fall by 3.4 per cent this year compared to the EU average of 7.4 per cent.

Economic output was forecast to fall 3.9 per cent in Denmark in 2020 and 4.3 per cent in Finland.

Swedish Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson told a briefing on Wednesday that the economy had recovered from the first wave faster than anticipated. She said Sweden’s anti-lockdown approach had helped cushion the blow but stressed that was not the motivation behind the strategy.

“It has never been the case that the government has sat and balanced people’s lives and health against development of the economy,” she said.