could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1.

Tigers of Old said:
No doubt he'll be elite? Big call.
If that's the case DD he should be going at pick 1.

Sheesh foremost apologies for being confident in my opinion.

I'll word my posts more carefully in future so as to not affront your sensibilities Sir ToO ;D

And no, he should not necessarily be going 1, there are others I have no doubt will be elite in this draft too. ;D

Dyer Disciple said:
Sheesh foremost apologies for being confident in my opinion.

Now now DD don't get too sensitive.
I am merely questioning how you can be so certain of TV becoming an elite starting ruck?
Draft history shows us that only a sprinkling of jnr rucks drafted in the top ten go on to be elite.
That said I can see the logic in us going for Vickery. As I said on the face of it he seems like an absolute ripper at that level. I am extremely impressed with what little I have seen.
However whether that transcends when he's playing against men in the AFL is a different kettle of fish. Particularly as many believe rucks don;'t do their best work until the mid 20s..
I guess what I am just saying that with our top ten pick we want to be as certain as possible of getting a quality player and to my mind midfielders are just a touch more reliable an option in the first round than rucks.
I will back whoever we pick and if the Vic is the one I won't be disappointed.

I'm with Knockers here...... :hihi

Vickery will be elite - if factors like injury allow it.

I have no doubt about it.

SCOOP said:
I agree with Hartlett, he just moves like a footballer. Not the same as Cotchin but he is a footballer in the modern era, in the 90's or the 80's. He is a footballer who could play in any era.

Great points on Vickery ToO. I have ever only been so so on Vickery as our pick. Not againist it completley but not able to get right behind the pick. Would I take a risk on a ruckman at 8? Maybe. Would I take a risk on a ruckman who had a knee problem? Not a chance. Those two things are what have worried me but I only just put it together.
I would take the risk on Swift. I still think Ziebell will be a very good AFL footballer but the jungle drums tell me that won't happen so I am righ now leaning towards Hartlett/Swift and a prayer that Rich is somehow on the board.

tend to agree with soopa doopa. foley lids cotchin connors hartlett/swift. keep adding guns to your on-ball group each year is my theory, however i have a bias toward midfielders.

Tigers of Old said:
Now now DD don't get too sensitive.
I am merely questioning how you can be so certain of TV becoming an elite starting ruck?
Draft history shows us that only a sprinkling of jnr rucks drafted in the top ten go on to be elite.
That said I can see the logic in us going for Vickery. As I said on the face of it he seems like an absolute ripper at that level. I am extremely impressed with what little I have seen.
However whether that transcends when he's playing against men in the AFL is a different kettle of fish. Particularly as many believe rucks don;'t do their best work until the mid 20s..
I guess what I am just saying that with our top ten pick we want to be as certain as possible of getting a quality player and to my mind midfielders are just a touch more reliable an option in the first round than rucks.
I will back whoever we pick and if the Vic is the one I won't be disappointed.

Thought ya knew me better than that ToO, lol, just being equally caustic back.

Obviously you haven't read my posts in other threads on this, I just try not to repeat myself.

I don't subscribe to the simplistic "all ruckmen are impossible to tell and not worth a risk". I have an excellent track record with rucks so am confident in my opinion on them ;D

Occasionally, and they are not in every draft, you see a Ruck that you know will be elite, therefore you would spend a 1st round on them. Sure the majority, and many highly touted ones, fall into disappointment or large speculation. I personally wasn't a fan of say a Meeson who went I think pick 8 to by coincidence.

Vickery is a blue chipper. No doubt about it. It's not about the physical traits as much as the mental application, reflexes, decision making...if you can add them to a motor and/or impressive agility. You've got a pretty decent package. It's a lot more than that, but as i said I've shared my opinion in detail elsewhere.

For me it's about being able to back your opinion and not being afraid to venture where others don't, because of other clubs bad choices.

Fraser, Hille, Ottens etc were not bad choices for very early 1st round picks. Vickery is in their company, all different styles obviously, but sure thing wise. I've been non plussed at some of the bomb ruckmen that went 1st round in recent years.

Dyer Disciple said:
Fraser, Hille, Ottens etc were not bad choices for very early 1st round picks. Vickery is in their company, all different styles obviously, but sure thing wise. I've been non plussed at some of the bomb ruckmen that went 1st round in recent years.

Well he can mark over his head (Patto can't), he's a decent kick (Patto isn't) & he's genuine size for a ruck (Patto's not) and Adam went at pick sixteen. So I'd say pick 8 is about on the money. I'll bow to your supreme judgement here Knockers ;D. If Trickery is available we pick him as our priority. If not it's out of Swift/Hartlett and I am leaning towards Swift as my preferred 2nd choice.

Tigers of Old said:
Well he can mark over his head (Patto can't), he's a decent kick (Patto isn't) & he's genuine size for a ruck (Patto's not) and Adam went at pick sixteen. So I'd say pick 8 is about on the money. I'll bow to your supreme judgement ;) here Knockers ;D. If Trickery is available we pick him as our priority. If not it's out of Swift/Hartlett and I am leaning towards Swift as my preferred 2nd choice.

So you're copying me...Sucker!. >:D
Vickery and Swift! If only we could get both.

You are going to break Leysy's heart though, he wants Hartlett running around with Collins at Coburg. >:D >:D

And yes I am :stir

Tigers of Old said:
No doubt he'll be elite? Big call.
If that's the case DD he should be going at pick 1.

Why? I'd take an elite CHF or elite midfielder ahead of an elite ruckman both of which are availble in this draft.

IanG said:
Why? I'd take an elite CHF or elite midfielder ahead of an elite ruckman both of which are availble in this draft.

Pay no heed to ToO IanG, he has his caustic cap on. ;D

Considering Vickery can probably run faster and jump higher than all the potential CHFs appart from Watts, Mc Kernan and Schoenmakers, I would have no hesitation in taking him at 8.

Latest rumour doing the rounds is Hamish Hartlett has undergone a full medical assessment from Port Adelaide so it looks like Vickery may be headed to Tigerland.

I'm not sure how I feel about this - taking a ruckman so early leaves me very nervous indeed.

bullus_hit said:
Latest rumour doing the rounds is Hamish Hartlett has undergone a full medical assessment from Port Adelaide so it looks like Vickery may be headed to Tigerland.

I'm not sure how I feel about this - taking a ruckman so early leaves me very nervous indeed.

Nice rumour. As I've said before, I don't believe Vickery is a monty for Pick 4 now, I believe Port will give in to the temptation of a gun midfielder.

bullus_hit said:
Wouldn’t they do that for more than one prospect though?