Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Nah, Aussies or draw.

There is no way the poms will score 120 plus runs per session for 3 sessions in a row on the last day on that pitch.

Predict we win around tea time if the weather holds up

Reactions: 1 user
That ball from Cummins was so good it would have got Smith out. The perfect delivery.

How is this scumbag

Smith's failure was simply not stopping the action. Bowlers have been illegally altering the ball for years (England absolute stars at it). Harmison would have bowled with a tampered ball for most of his career, what a fraud to say such things. Atherton, Faf, Younis, Akhtar, Tendulkar, Dravid….

Whilst the Aust incident was more high profile and audacious Smith was essentially guilty of poor leadership.

Harmison will be remembered as an OK bowler advantaged by height who lacked fortitude.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Question for discussion: Is Nathan Lyon the most over rated bowler in Australian test history?

I never rated him, his bowling didn't look threatening, but he has a lot of wickets and that deserves high ratings. Probably over-rated but a damned good bowler nonetheless and certainly not the most over-rated.

DS

Wow - great ball but Roy is a one day slogger not used to bowlers trying to get him out

Question for discussion: Is Nathan Lyon the most over rated bowler in Australian test history?
Who overrates him?

Besides, the term generally applies to someone whose reputation exceeds his record. There are only a couple in Australian cricket history with a better record than Lyon. He will get well over 500 wickets before he’s done. That would make him one of our all time great bowlers.

All over. What an extraordinary series put on by two ordinary teams.
Amazing that THAT Australian team was able to retain the Ashes in England, compared to some pretty good ones that couldn't.

Reactions: 2 users
All over. What an extraordinary series put on by two ordinary teams.
Amazing that THAT Australian team was able to retain the Ashes in England, compared to some pretty good ones that couldn't.
The batting is ordinary, barring the extraordinary Steve Smith. The bowling ranges from good to very good to great. Cummins, Hazlewood and Broad have been magnificent.

Reactions: 2 users
Well done Australia. A 3/1 scorecard would not reflect the difference between the 2 teams but it’d be nice.

A bit on the radio this morning saying that it’s a new dawn for Australian cricket. Don’t think so. The batsmen, bar Smith and Labuschagne, have been terrible. Career ending for Warner, Wade, Khawaja and maybe Bancroft. Big questions on Harris and Head. So many left handers who have been fodder for Broad in these English conditions.

Great performance.

Smith, Labuschagne, Hazelwood and Cummins have been huge.

Never warmed to him.
The difference between his best and worst is significant.
Has often struggled to take wickets in second innings where conditions are tailor made for him.

Well done Australia. A 3/1 scorecard would not reflect the difference between the 2 teams but it’d be nice.

Probably should already be 3/1 if not for England's miracle win in the 3rd test.
Isn't it great beating the Poms, i'd much rather win the Ashes than the World Cup. Anderson has been a loss for England, but i doubt very much that he would've troubled Smith too much.
How good is Cummins? Has taken 118 wickets @ 21.08 in just 24 tests. Will retire as one of Australia's all time greats.

What sets him apart among Australian spinners is how young he started (24). At 31-32 he might be only just into the second half of his career.

By Australian standards he's an all-time great, but I don't think he strikes fear into batsmen like the very best spinners do.

I'd argue he's very consistent - his record around the world is pretty even. Bowlers like Ravi Ashwin have better overall records but have struggled in Australia/South Africa. You know what you're going to get with Lyon, and occasionally he'll have a day out when conditions are favourable.

Better than e.g. Vettori, not up there with Warne/Murali.