Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Anyone hear some Bummer moron call in to SEN this morning saying that if they don't get Clarko it would be good to throw the kitchen sink at Dimma? Ok, that's a typical delusion from any Bummer fan, but to have Moron Mince virtually AGREE that it could happen shows what a true idiot this bloke is in football media.
Need I remind you of Ross Lyon. Locked into St Kilda. Loved the place, then Freo made him a godfather offer and shafted Mark Harvey.
Whateley said it could happen. Nothing wrong with that. It could. It may not be likely, but contracts get broken all the time.
Those looking for things wrong with Whateley will find reasons to object with what he says. Barking up the wrong tree here though, nothing wrong with what he said.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Need I remind you of Ross Lyon. Locked into St Kilda. Loved the place, then Freo made him a godfather offer and shafted Mark Harvey.
Whateley said it could happen. Nothing wrong with that. It could. It may not be likely, but contracts get broken all the time.
Those looking for things wrong with Whateley will find reasons to object with what he says. Barking up the wrong tree here though, nothing wrong with what he said.
So, you really think Dimma would leave us in an instant? Previous to that he called 'nonsense' to a Hawks fan who said Clarko would lose dignity if he joined their strongest rival in the last 40 years.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

It's a possibility but Ross Lyon was a different operator than Dimma - Ross would squeeze every possible ounce of talent and effort out of his squads and didn't have an eye on a build-for-future approach. The best time to win a flag for Ross was right now - and to be fair he was unlucky not to make it with the Aints. Dimma had to do the hard yards, rebuild, experiment and he's got a much stronger relationship with the club.

I think Dimma will leave in the next few years but it will be on good terms.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's a possibility but Ross Lyon was a different operator than Dimma - Ross would squeeze every possible ounce of talent and effort out of his squads and didn't have an eye on a build-for-future approach. The best time to win a flag for Ross was right now - and to be fair he was unlucky not to make it with the Aints. Dimma had to do the hard yards, rebuild, experiment and he's got a much stronger relationship with the club.

I think Dimma will leave in the next few years but it will be on good terms.
Yep. Two different characters. If Lyon stayed, I also reckon St Kilda would've won their 2nd flag.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
Again, Whateley didn't say it would happen. He said it's possible .
I didn't say it's likely, I said the opposite.
You're looking for/hearing what you want to, not judging what is actually being said objectively.
If Hardwick loved the coach so much, he'd have Taken a pay cut to kep his Assistants. I don't begrudge him for getting his, but I believe in agency. In the end of the day, if he had the chance to set up a retirement where he never neededto work again, I think he'd consider it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
You're looking for/hearing what you want to, not judging what is actually being said objectively.
If Hardwick loved the coach so much, he'd have Taken a pay cut to kep his Assistants. I don't begrudge him for getting his, but I believe in agency. In the end of the day, if he had the chance to set up a retirement where he never neededto work again, I think he'd consider it.
Same meaning?

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Ross Lyon was out of contract for a bit of context

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Ess last 4 coaches haven’t lasted beyond 3y
Knights
Hird
Wossha
Now rutten
Not what you’d call a dream job
Dimma has an ego like all good coaches do , he’d be aware of the legacy he’s creating at Richmond and has a little way to go yet before he’s in company of Alex Ferguson , he’s on the way though and with soft cap restrictions , clubs can’t come along and slap double what he’s earning on the table , they can but incur a 200% tax

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

yeah of course but I don't think he'd break a contract to do it.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-193034_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-193034_Chrome.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 32

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Lyon didn't break a contract. He got out of his contract via legitimate means.

It could happen, but modern AFL history suggests coaches being poached is highly unlikely. I would say Whateley is very likely to be wrong. Dimma may well leave, but I'd be staggered if it was while he was under contract.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Didn’t Hooch say something a while back about how despite winning a flag at 2 different clubs, he considered Richmond would always be his AFL “home” ? He said something about the longest time, best memories and enjoyment had all been with Richmond.

Neil Balme has DEFINITELY said similar. He flat out said how great it was to be back home to finish his career and that he wanted to be recognised as a Richmond man first and always, no matter what else he may have done at other clubs.
“Hooch”
snoop mary jane GIF by Big Beat Records

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

It could happen, but modern AFL history suggests coaches being poached is highly unlikely. I would say Whateley is very likely to be wrong. Dimma may well leave, but I'd be staggered if it was while he was under contract.
Or while we re still making finals , don’t. Mistake us for a year that PA or GWS just had

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If we win the flag this year then they should start building a statue of Dimma outside Punt Rd on the Sunday, because he will be the best coach we have ever had.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
D
Same meaning?
No.
I think that will happen or would happen vs I think it's a possibility.
Would happen is more decisive, definite.
Possible means there's a potential, but no guarantee.

Last edited:

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004

Refer above re contract. Yes, he had a legal out so he exercised it to not fulfil the remaining 12 months of a contract. I'd call that a clause that enables you to terminate or break the remaining part of the contract.

As for Whateley, same again. He never said it was likely Dimma would leave (neither have i). He just said it's a possibility. It might be a 1% chance, or a 95% chance, both a possibilities. He can't be wrong. Just people here have a dislike for him and look for things to disagree with him for.

I mean, Dimma left his wife for another woman. He's not exactly proven he's a rusted on, strong believer in until death do us part. Not criticism, there's a multitude of levels of not understanding his personal life that I wouldn't judge him too harshly for. But just the same, I'd have thought a marriage is a harder thing to walk out on than a job. If someone came walking in with a godfather offer, and he thought we were declining, he'd be tempted.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Dimma is the best
Chuck out the rest.
He might have Truck and Little Carcella begging for forgiveness for another chance.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Refer above re contract. Yes, he had a legal out so he exercised it to not fulfil the remaining 12 months of a contract. I'd call that a clause that enables you to terminate or break the remaining part of the contract.

As for Whateley, same again. He never said it was likely Dimma would leave (neither have i). He just said it's a possibility. It might be a 1% chance, or a 95% chance, both a possibilities. He can't be wrong. Just people here have a dislike for him and look for things to disagree with him for.

I mean, Dimma left his wife for another woman. He's not exactly proven he's a rusted on, strong believer in until death do us part. Not criticism, there's a multitude of levels of not understanding his personal life that I wouldn't judge him too harshly for. But just the same, I'd have thought a marriage is a harder thing to walk out on than a job. If someone came walking in with a godfather offer, and he thought we were declining, he'd be tempted.
My point is that if we were out of the finals 2 years in a row and on decline as Hawks were until Clarko finally left, then I'd agree Dimma would find somewhere else, but we're not, as he clearly states we want to keep refining and playing for finals every season instead of bottoming out. If Whateley can't see this, I'm bewildered. He doesn't care about us, even has a public laugh at us with Richmondy etc. and barely discusses us compared to other teams. This morning, yaps on about his loverboy Carlton club playing a R23 game. It's not a finals game yet. The announcement of Rio signing for 5 years was just a message with nothing else mentioned, and then kept going on about the Carlton v Collingwood rubbish. Nothing to do with like or dislike, I just find his character a bit silly at times.