Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hafey was and still is the Greatest Richmond Coach.
Interesting thought.

Hafey four premierships in a twelve team semi professional competition. With club lists of approx 100 players, the capacity to bring in outside random players at any time, no draft access restrictions, no salary cap, no soft cap, no interstate footy, home and away games against all other teams creating an even draw.

Dimma three premierships in an eighteen team professional competition. With club lists restricted to around 45 players, only a mid season draft to bring in random outside players, yearly draft restrictions, salary caps, soft caps, interstate footy, compromised FIXtures handicapping the successful teams.

Different rules, different eras. Both coaching legends and of equal standing as heroes of the RFC as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 24 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Hafey was and still is the Greatest Richmond Coach.
Without Balme overseeing Dimma and curbing his complicated game plan he would not have been a 3 time Premiership coach.
Always difficult comparing different eras TT2.

I just reckon when you consider variables such as compromised drafts, uneven draws, the incredible triumph of a flag in the midst of a pandemic all on top of the law of probability wonderfully pointed out by RoarEmotion......Hardwick just edges out Hafey!

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Interesting thought.

Hafey four premierships in a twelve team semi professional competition. With club lists of approx 100 players, the capacity to bring in outside random players at any time, no draft access restrictions, no salary cap, no soft cap, no interstate footy, home and away games against all other teams creating an even draw.

Dimma three premierships in an eighteen team professional competition. With club lists restricted to around 45 players, only a mid season draft to bring in random outside players, yearly draft restrictions, salary caps, soft caps, interstate footy, compromised FIXtures handicapping the successful teams.

Different rules, different eras. Both coaching legends and of equal standing as heroes of the RFC as far as I'm concerned.
Correct weight TM....although I lean slightly towards Dimma!

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Hardwick > Hafey

The 2020 campaign, much of it in-bubble and AFTER Hocking tried to Tonya Harding us, is Damien’s masterpiece, even if he was shagging anything that moved in between fat spliffs on the Gold Coast.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Hardwick > Hafey

The 2020 campaign, much of it in-bubble and AFTER Hocking tried to Tonya Harding us, is Damien’s masterpiece, even if he was shagging anything that moved in between fat spliffs on the Gold Coast.
Again very funny but absolutely agree.

In fact, I may even extend the controversy somewhat and suggest the 2020 premiership victory is perhaps the greatest in AFL/VFL history!

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

In fact, I may even extend the controversy somewhat and suggest the 2020 premiership victory is perhaps the greatest in AFL/VFL history!

There is a genuinely solid case for this

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

The media narrative that year was that the flag was going to be greatest ever and most hard won - until we won it. Then no one gave a rats.

Reactions: 23 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003

Only played the Moggies in that premiership n everyone knows they were simply our finals bitches.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Interesting thought.

Have to remember that Hafey and his players all had 9 - 5 jobs and only trained twice a week. They also played on some pretty crappy surfaces.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Have to remember that Hafey and his players all had 9 - 5 jobs and only trained twice a week. They also played on some pretty crappy surfaces.
Also Dimma didn’t have to worry about getting shafted by the board. The shadow of GR loomed large over everything at Richmond and he didn’t miss Hafey when given half a chance. Which probably cost us another shot at a flag.

For me it’s a numbers game and 4 premierships is always better than 3.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Also Dimma didn’t have to worry about getting shafted by the board. The shadow of GR loomed large over everything at Richmond and he didn’t miss Hafey when given half a chance. Which probably cost us another shot at a flag.

For me it’s a numbers game and 4 premierships is always better than 3.

absolutely, but there's a case that 2020 is worth two considering Chris Scott's utter humiliation

Reactions: 6 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
absolutely, but there's a case that 2020 is worth two considering Chris Scott's utter humiliation
2020. That was a real Genghis Khan moment.

"The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters. A man's greatest joy is crushing his enemies."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Did mention that the comp was semi professional. All clubs were in the same situation back then, part time n played on open all weather suburban grounds on a sat arvo, so conditions were pretty much the same for all teams. Now though there's some clubs play under a roof, some play in tropical conditions, there's a constant changing of games to day or night with five to nine day breaks, some play in colosseum type stadiums while others play in more open suburban style grounds.
Competition is way more complicated in so many ways these days.