Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just had a thought. Probably silly but.....
Did Dimma put the cue in the rack before the bye?

He knew we were fatigued, has lost his assistants, injury ravaged, short preseason, playing poorly and never likely to progress beyond a single final this year.
Well, he has the side playing a dreadful style, unlikely to win a game, he keeps selecting players unlikely to kick a winning score, he keeps playing some out of position and not playing some where they would be useful, he had Nank and Lambo on the bench last few minutes v Dockets...two players who could win us the game, we have beaten no one for a very long time bar Lions who were depleted and it was Jacks 300th..in this game suddenly we looked good and Jack kicked 6 with ease.
We are not looking interested, have no game plan, no run, can't stick tackles, can't kick for peanuts and are playing so poorly it beggars belief that we were premiers not so long ago.

Could Dimma have decided early to let this season go and give the team a lazy few months, then time off and start next year with a healthy and refreshed side?
Just wondering.....
I say Yes. We've been going through the motions all season.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I had thought about this too.
Not so much before the bye, but certainly before yesterday.
If we really wanted to win, it was hard to imagine why Caddy and Pickett were not in the team, given some who were (selection said Pickett was "managed").
And despite the scoreline, I thought we were going OK from about half way through the second quarter, and once we finally got in front in the last quarter - by ten points no less - it was like we thought "ok, we've proven we can win this, now let's play for draft picks".
There is zero chance that was the case. Although resting Pickett was odd.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
5th Rising Star nomination against Richmond in the past 21 games.

We've gone 44 games without since Bolton in late 2019.

848 days since the debut of Sydney Stack is the longest we've gone without introducing a RS nom (700 days Bowden -> Plapp, 677 days Cotchin -> Martin). Still a chance for Dow, Martyn, Ralphsmith I guess. Very slim chance for Mansell, RCD and Ryan in the remaining games this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
5th Rising Star nomination against Richmond in the past 21 games.

We've gone 44 games without since Bolton in late 2019.

848 days since the debut of Sydney Stack is the longest we've gone without introducing a RS nom (700 days Bowden -> Plapp, 677 days Cotchin -> Martin). Still a chance for Dow, Martyn, Ralphsmith I guess. Very slim chance for Mansell, RCD and Ryan in the remaining games this year.
Been noticing the lack of RS nominations too. Evidence of a lack of elite talent amongst our kids which the club needs to start addressing at the upcoming draft.

Reactions: 2 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Not likely given the way the MC selects "old" favourites and gives the younger players no continuity to really draw an opinion

Reactions: 1 users

rioli82

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 28, 2004
We have been a victim of our own success. Additionally Not having a completed VFL season for 2 years has really stalled our younger players progression.
Time will tell in regards to whether RCD, Ross, Hugo, Martyn, Naish, Miller, Dow, MRJ & CCJ make the level.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Work got my C game for sure.
Yep our assumption at work was that the individual concerned would be at 50% of normal capacity for a year at least. Combine this with McCrae and Leppitsch going and we have lost 70% of our functioning and match day coaching ability

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Yep our assumption at work was that the individual concerned would be at 50% of normal capacity for a year at least. Combine this with McCrae and Leppitsch going and we have lost 70% of our functioning and match day coaching ability

Without the mental health implications, then for me at least, the amount of resource I put into the various aspects of parenting has increased a lot - as you now duplicate things or have to do some things 100%. Damien has older kids so they would be more self sufficient with things like transport / meal preparation etc than mine.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Dimma needs to revisit 2016. A new approach is needed to counter the manipulation by the AFL.

He is a smart man. I will be very surprised if we don't see something different, something better, come '22.
We will have a new Captain. Cotch will, without pressure, pass the leadership mantle to a new young skipper whether he retires or not.
The triumvirate - Benny, Peggy, Dimma - will already be planning for next years tilt and will rebuild the off-field team.

We won't be down for long. He will become as legendary as Tommy. He's not far off it right now.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I found this article quite interesting.
Back in 2016 Hardwick had a massive mental shift & it went a long way towards our successes.
I sense the ongoing Covid situation has his mind troubled again.
Reckon he needs a really good break over the summer.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Dimmas been honest all along how he didn't cope with the Rona imposts.

The RFC has nothing to prove to anyone this year nor does it have to hide meekly.

The sting of failure will be the spur to drive them next year with a full pre season, refreshed bodies and focus with the motivation of one last Cup.

We should be around the mark contending next year and giving the flag a real sniff but if we are not we are done.

We should also have a slightly easier draw next year if we finish 11th or 12th, but I bet we don't get one.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Not likely given the way the MC selects "old" favourites and gives the younger players no continuity to really draw an opinion
Younger players do not deserve continuity unless they show something that suggests they could one day be premiership team members.
Otherwise we are jogging on the spot. The 'old favourites' have to be surpassed with good performances by the youngsters in the VFL. 'Playing the kids' is a trite and hackneyed cliche.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
With the Smurf gone
Hardwick is the most successful current coach.
The rest are ball slappers

Reactions: 1 user