Danny Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny Frawley

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Not sure about a "golden fist" award but the Danny Frawley defensive player of the year award makes sense.
Would prefer these things weren’t rushed because someone dies & emotions are running high. Danny was a fine player for the Saints but not convinced an official AFL award should be struck in his honour. That said I’m not against the idea of recognising defenders.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
This makes it all the more tragic the fact that he felt this was his best option. He was a spokesman for depression and reaching out yet he couldn't. He knew all the Avenues for help so if he couldn't help him self what chance do other have?
I had to look up the stats and suicide in Australia has shown an almost year on year increase from 2008 (2341 ) to 2017 (3128) so despite society’s more openness and willing to talk about suicide and things like RUOK etc its not reducing the numbers.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I had to look up the stats and suicide in Australia has shown an almost year on year increase from 2008 (2341 ) to 2017 (3128) so despite society’s more openness and willing to talk about suicide and things like RUOK etc its not reducing the numbers.
Interesting. Is there an argument that by opening up, talking and accepting it, to an extent, that you could well be identifying yourself with it and surrendering to it? Dunno.

Listening to Trelor last night he was quick to associate himself with Dannys situation and struggles. Is this a good thing for him? Again dunno.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia

Not enough is being done for men and boys. The government has no problems creating policy and funding violence against women (which I very much agree with) but the lack of male focused policy right from childhood is damning.

Maybe this is generational, and maybe the generations of kids coming through now wont have these issues to such an extent. What I can say is that in my circle of male influence, quite a number have indicated or alluded to suicide being an option when things are tough.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

There is discussion about mental health but not really about suicide. I don't think it can be done in public without creating a framework whereby it can be seen as viable. Maybe it's a taboo topic for a reason.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Suicide is a taboo topic because talking about it leads to death.

If the media report Danny’s death as a suicide it will lead to an increase in suicides over the coming weeks. Solutions to this problem will not come from the media talking, that’s for sure.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

The problem with many of these strategies is they ask men to open up verbally about their feelings and have a cry.

Building comraderie through a new sport or something would save more lives IMO. Instead of asking men to open up, we should be asking them to join groups and go on a mission with other men somehow.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
Pretty easy to trained investigators I would imagine. Grossly excessive speeds with no brake signs or even as simple as last note left somewhere. It will come out sooner or later I guess
Thank you for the various responses.

In no way to I wish to tarnish his legacy nor create unnecessary debate .............. however (including all the responses so far) it still seems strange to me that no-one has provided, seen or heard clear evidence:

- "I heard there was a note" (I heard about Jennifer Keyte)
- "The Age reported this" (say no more!)
- "The car computer will show XYZ" (it won't show why the car was going fast/ran of the road unless it's a malfunction. Even the VW Gulf problem needed many people killed before they found the intermittent speed problem)
- "I saw a photos of the tyre tracks" (explains nothing)
- "It was the biggest tree outside Ballarat". (lets pray he wasn't unlucky! Swiss Cheese)

In due course the Coroner/Medical Examiner will reveal his findings (I have no idea how long this would take)

I imagine (based on all the speculation) that it was indeed suicide - BUT - I have a good enough memory to recall multiple incidents of heart failure, seizures and even simple falling asleep at the wheel that have caused hundreds of high speed/impact single car accidents.

In due course we may be presented with the facts.

Regardless............

RIP Danny.

PS (deep down I'm hoping this isn't suicide. He should be shamed not lauded if so! Simply NO EXCUSE to do this to his wife and family. None. "Black Dog" doesn't cut it. There are far more appropriate adjectives)

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
This sums up depression and suicide for mine.

Your mind is your greatest friend if you control it... BUT your mind is your greatest enemy if it controls you.

The saddest part is a bloke that had so many people around him actually felt that he had no one.

RIP Danny.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
This sums up depression and suicide for mine.

Your mind is your greatest friend if you control it... BUT your mind is your greatest enemy if it controls you.

The saddest part is a bloke that had so many people around him actually felt that he had no one.

RIP Danny.
Well said.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Suicide is a taboo topic because talking about it leads to death.

If the media report Danny’s death as a suicide it will lead to an increase in suicides over the coming weeks. Solutions to this problem will not come from the media talking, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps not talking about it is a product of generational wisdom and not some sort of modern societal failure.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Everyone is fighting a battle.

But not everyone needs to fight it alone.

Spud was a man's man for so long. The saddest part for me is the role that he would of played over the next 10-15 years by shedding the blokey persona and leading the charge for speaking up about how they are feeling. The best of Spud was yet to come.

To anyone struggling out there, its' ok to talk up, it's ok to have bad days but don't carry the burden alone. It's ok to be you. And you are valued or loved even if you don't see it. Just be you.
Agree 100%. So sad that he just didn’t lob at someone’s home and say I am feeling really bad and not very safe.
Apparently some personal crises led to Monday afternoon and he was overwhelmed, but he just couldn’t reach out.
RIP Danny Frawley.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Would prefer these things weren’t rushed because someone dies & emotions are running high. Danny was a fine player for the Saints but not convinced an official AFL award should be struck in his honour. That said I’m not against the idea of recognising defenders.
I see it differently.
Danny lost his battle against an illness which is statistically, the most dangerous and threatening to young Australian men. Our indigenous population in particular is heavily over represented in statistics on this issue.
Danny spoke publicly about his own battles and the stories now being told inform that he was a wonderful man who offered support to everyone who sought him out.
I think that something which reflects on his work as a defender and a supporter of his fellow men (and women), is entirely appropriate and I hope the Tigers press the Commission to go ahead and honour him in this manner.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'd prefer if this didn't become a thread about men vs women.