Danny Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny Frawley

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Everyone is fighting a battle.

But not everyone needs to fight it alone.

Spud was a man's man for so long. The saddest part for me is the role that he would of played over the next 10-15 years by shedding the blokey persona and leading the charge for speaking up about how they are feeling. The best of Spud was yet to come.

To anyone struggling out there, its' ok to talk up, it's ok to have bad days but don't carry the burden alone. It's ok to be you. And you are valued or loved even if you don't see it. Just be you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Everyone is fighting a battle.

But not everyone needs to fight it alone.

Spud was a man's man for so long. The saddest part for me is the role that he would of played over the next 10-15 years by shedding the blokey persona and leading the charge for speaking up about how they are feeling. The best of Spud was yet to come.

To anyone struggling out there, its' ok to talk up, it's ok to have bad days but don't care the burden alone. It's ok to be you. And you are valued or loved even if you don't see it. Just be you.
Yeah, he could have been a leader in that area, but unfortunately it seems it overwhelmed him.

You could see how deep his feelings ran, how passionate he was, how hard he took certain things. That generation (and those preceding) of Australian masculinity has no mechanism for dealing with that, emotionality is for women and children. Increase the pressure inside a tightly-sealed container and it will eventually blow.

I never met him, but he was my second-cousin (massive family - his grandmother and my grandfather were part of a family of 10 kids, and all of them had between 5 and 10 themselves). When he was still Richmond coach, our eyes met across the three-quarter-time huddle at a Coburg game. His eyes flickered recognition, then confusion as he tried to work out how he knew me. I thought of saying hello but then the group broke up and he walked away in conversation with other officials and I didn't want to bother him.

It's a big loss. The bloke gave so much. He cared, too much. My heart breaks for him, and his family.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I made my feelings known recently about Spud's treatment of Knighta in the "Frawley Sacked" thread. My gripe pales into insignifinace, compared to this terrible tragedy.
I took my nephew to a footy clinic 30 odd years ago, Spud, Gary Lyon and Paul Roos were there, all the kids loved it.
It was a fantastic clinic and all the guys were great, but Spud stood out, he really went out of his way to make it a special day for the young kids.
I'm very grateful for the joy he gave all of us when we beat those Carlton mongrels in the 2001 finals.
Condolences to Spuds family and friends.
RIP Spud.

He'll take care of you Spud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
loved Dannys passion has our coach,very sad that the black beast got him,RIP Spud, have a wonderfull after life waiting and watching your family.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, he could have been a leader in that area, but unfortunately it seems it overwhelmed him.

You could see how deep his feelings ran, how passionate he was, how hard he took certain things. That generation (and those preceding) of Australian masculinity has no mechanism for dealing with that, emotionality is for women and children. Increase the pressure inside a tightly-sealed container and it will eventually blow.

I never met him, but he was my second-cousin (massive family - his grandmother and my grandfather were part of a family of 10 kids, and all of them had between 5 and 10 themselves). When he was still Richmond coach, our eyes met across the three-quarter-time huddle at a Coburg game. His eyes flickered recognition, then confusion as he tried to work out how he knew me. I thought of saying hello but then the group broke up and he walked away in conversation with other officials and I didn't want to bother him.

It's a big loss. The bloke gave so much. He cared, too much. My heart breaks for him, and his family.
Well said Spook; great work. I am from that generation and I know exactly what you mean.

I met him on at least 2 occasions that I can remember when he was coach. We both happened to be at Cranbourne racecourse early on a Saturday morning watching our horses trial. My horse (small share of) was in a trial and then Spud's was in the trial after. From memory he was with Noel Judkins and Darren Crocker; they all had a share in this horse and it bolted in (don't think it ever did anything in a race; much like mine). Anyway we got talking; where you watch the trials was on the opposite side of the track from the stables. I had walked around but they drove and Spud offered me a ride back to the stables.

Some time later I had to go into the club to pick up some tickets and he was sitting in reception. He saw me and recognised me; I couldn't believe that he would remember a regular punter when he would meet so many people of much greater consequence in his role as an AFL coach. We had another chat. He was a great fellow and seemed to be happy to take the time for anyone. I really enjoyed his first 2 years as coach; unfortunately it went south from there but none of that seems important now.

I feel incredibly sad about this; it must be so traumatic for his family and those who knew him really well. Vale Spud; just a good bloke. Hopefully now in a better place. RIP.

Reactions: 13 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well said Spook; great work. I am from that generation and I know exactly what you mean.

I met him on at least 2 occasions that I can remember when he was coach. We both happened to be at Cranbourne racecourse early on a Saturday morning watching our horses trial. My horse (small share of) was in a trial and then Spud's was in the trial after. From memory he was with Noel Judkins and Darren Crocker; they all had a share in this horse and it bolted in (don't think it ever did anything in a race; much like mine). Anyway we got talking; where you watch the trials was on the opposite side of the track from the stables. I had walked around but they drove and Spud offered me a ride back to the stables.

Some time later I had to go into the club to pick up some tickets and he was sitting in reception. He saw me and recognised me; I couldn't believe that he would remember a regular punter when he would meet so many people of much greater consequence in his role as an AFL coach. We had another chat. He was a great fellow and seemed to be happy to take the time for anyone. I really enjoyed his first 2 years as coach; unfortunately it went south from there but none of that seems important now.

I feel incredibly sad about this; it must be so traumatic for his family and those who knew him really well. Vale Spud; just a good bloke. Hopefully now in a better place. RIP.

:clap2

Thanks for sharing Ridley.

Reactions: 1 user

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
Is there any evidence - any comment by the Police - any suggestion of comments he made at the birthday party, disabled the airbag or anything TANGIBLE to suggest this was a suicide.

I read all the articles and can find nothing but speculation/opinion - often by vested interests.

Has anyone heard/seen anything otherwise?

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Is there any evidence - any comment by the Police - any suggestion of comments he made at the birthday party, disabled the airbag or anything TANGIBLE to suggest this was a suicide.

I read all the articles and can find nothing but speculation/opinion - often by vested interests.

Has anyone heard/seen anything otherwise?
Police have stated that the incident will not be included in the road toll. Therefore meaning it was deliberate act unfortunately

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
I wonder how they can know that definitively?
Pretty easy to trained investigators I would imagine. Grossly excessive speeds with no brake signs or even as simple as last note left somewhere. It will come out sooner or later I guess

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I wonder how they can know that definitively?
A cars computer history will illustrate what happened in the preceding seconds. So for eg if it shows an in increase in speed, no brake usage, no swerving, no loss of control etc the drivers intent can be determined.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So sad to hear this about Danny. Really loved the guy in his first few years as our coach, and always liked him as a bloke.

I'm speculating but maybe evidence from the crash site indicates lack of braking, mechnical failure etc which leads to the conclusion that it wasn't an accident.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Took the black dog with him. RIP Spud Frawley I known the family since teenage years used to catch the school bus with his older siblings. Never a bad word said against him in the district and Ballarat.

Reactions: 1 users