Danny Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny Frawley

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
His tribute of his so many friends & family at his funeral was both moving, tears and reinforced the fragility of us men.

Wonderful hearing Wayne Campbell & Brendan Gale on behalf of the RFC shows what the present club is all about. He was ahead of his time.

Wayne Swatter spoke beautifully of his struggles, that’s it’s ok to feel vulnerable , to cry, be emotional and of his love of Danny.

Bloody tough day and an hour and a half of listening to it on SEN.

Congratulations to SEN.

In the words of Danny’ you will never walk alone’.

Guys we are not alone. If you feel lost or alone speak to your friend(s), Family and if you can’t tour GP who can direct you to the appropriate services.

Fast becoming the No 1 killer of men is this dreadful dreadful illness.

Reactions: 6 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
The saddest thing is that if Danny could have seen all this love he would never had gotten to the point he did.

Depression is a hard one. Unfortunately unless you have been there it is extremely hard to understand the psyche of the individual. You don't think about consequences and others. You only think about what is affecting you and how much of a dissapointment you are. You only see your failings and not what makes you great.
Having dealt with my own mental demons I can tell you it is a very, very tough road to travel.
For a long time I saw people with depression and anxiety as weak. I thought why cant you just snap out of it. Can't be that hard. Just change your way of thinking. Unfortunately it just ain't that easy.
Suicide though is just a shame and waste of a life.
His poor family.
Never met the bloke and never knew him so not sure why this has touched me as much as it has.

Sometimes we think that people close to us just know that we love them. Perhaps we need to show and say it more often.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Very well done on that banner, proud to see our cheer squad paying respect where it is due.

We have become a great club and this is more evidence of a healthy culture we need to make sure we hold on to.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
St.Kilda is planning a Danny Frawley tribute match for their first home game in Round 2 v West Coast next year.

They meet us the following week in Round 3.

I don't have an issue with it since Frawley was a hero at St.Kilda and just another ultimately unsuccessful coach at Richmond, albeit coach for five years. Richmond can probably do without being on the end of that sort of emotion.

Still, it's interesting that the Saints appear to have baulked at a shared/joint tribute.

St Kilda will stage a tribute match for its late champion Danny Frawley next year (HS, paywalled)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
St.Kilda is planning a Danny Frawley tribute match for their first home game in Round 2 v West Coast next year.

They meet us the following week in Round 3.

I don't have an issue with it since Frawley was a hero at St.Kilda and just another ultimately unsuccessful coach at Richmond, albeit coach for five years. Richmond can probably do without being on the end of that sort of emotion.

Still, it's interesting that the Saints appear to have baulked at a shared/joint tribute.

St Kilda will stage a tribute match for its late champion Danny Frawley next year (HS, paywalled)

They probably chose a match that they could win rather than having a new one ripped in honour of Spud

Reactions: 2 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
They probably chose a match that they could win rather than having a new one ripped in honour of Spud
We already have the Maddies Match with the saints, perhaps deemed that as enough between the two clubs. I'd tend to agree. Spud worked at Richmond but he was a Saint. I don't think of Frawley as a Richmond guy. I'd argue it would be a bit disingenuous for us to suddenly claim him now, given most of us (inc. me) couldn't wait to get him out the door when he left.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I sense money is a factor.

They might want to increase gate receipts vs Weagles which are probably low generally because its an interstate team, whereas they'll pull a crowd against us regardless of tribute or no.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I sense money is a factor.

They might want to increase gate receipts vs Weagles which are probably low generally because its an interstate team, whereas they'll pull a crowd against us regardless of tribute or no.

Good point. We'd be in serious danger of not getting in if they used the Richmond game.

Of course they could always transfer it to the MCG, especially given they have 7 of their first 8 at Marvel. Not hearing any howling about that...

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That would be the issue I reckon, worthy causes aside we wouldn't want to lock in two games against them from a financial point of view because they don't draw a blockbuster crowd, so it would only be in the odd year we got a second game.

Probably more to do with the 6-6-6 fixturing. Crowds are usually healthy v the Saints.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Worrying isn’t it.

Sad too.
More of this will be coming out in the next decade with athletes all over the world.

* It is something I have informed my family be done for myself due to many things highlighted in the article *

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
How can this issue be solved in any way, unless the DNA of the game changes? AFL players do stupid *smile*. I cringe when blokes run headlong into decapitation situations. I'm not even sure it's necessary. And they are lauded. If you for one second think about not getting your head smashed in, you are a shirker. You are made fun of on the pitch by the oppo. And it'll be highlighted by our wonderful media. There is a massive disconnect here.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
How can this issue be solved in any way, unless the DNA of the game changes? AFL players do stupid *smile*. I cringe when blokes run headlong into decapitation situations. I'm not even sure it's necessary. And they are lauded. If you for one second think about not getting your head smashed in, you are a shirker. You are made fun of on the pitch by the oppo. And it'll be highlighted by our wonderful media. There is a massive disconnect here.
Tucky comes to mind.

Also makes you reflect on the awful hit to Mayne on the weekend. Is it worth it?