David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Dave has been a great servant, but Balta is the future. I would only play him this year if Balta goes down. And at his age, injury issues and list reduction, I can't see a spot for him on our list next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Dave has been a great servant, but Balta is the future. I would only play him this year if Balta goes down. And at his age, injury issues and list reduction, I can't see a spot for him on our list next year.
Bollocks there is a spot on our list for Dave until retirement and easily best 22 when match fit!

Reactions: 7 users
You dont just get rid of players like Astbury. Their contribution to the fabric of the club goes way beyond what they do on the playing field.

Reactions: 10 users
One (or maybe 2) tall defenders down and we're stoofed.

Interesting words from Balme with the defence and attack requirement for the 2020 side.

You look at the current favoured backline of Short, Balta, Grimes, Houli, Baker , Vlaustuin and Markov and they all take off offensively as soon as they get the ball (the least of which would be Flossy).

Broad not so much. Astbury, not really. Might explain Broad's recent omission and based on what Balmey said it will be interesting to see who, if anyone, Astbury will dislodge from the above 7.
I disagree

Reactions: 1 user
Astbury is in our best 22 with either Markov or Broad to go out of defence. We'd be far better with Dave back - provides options if a key forward ever does get on top of one of our key backs for a start. Against Hawkins this week, we have Balta and that's about it. Grimes is too light even if he does play. I suspect Geelong will throw an extra tall forward for exactly that reason - probably Jenkins.

Reactions: 3 users
I disagree

I'm not sure about that either. Reckon he has been decent coming out of attack and is a more accurate kick that most non-tigers would think.

But perhaps the match committee feel that others offer more attack, and Broads defensive efforts alone are not enough to keep his spot.

Madness.

Reactions: 2 users
We're a better side with Dave in 2 monster full backs one who is traditional stopper the other attacking what's not to like.

Reactions: 3 users
Broad is great at stopping medium talls and even can play on bigger and plays the role of third man up well to.His quick and his skills have improved important in our back 6.

Last edited:
I reckon a finals game against Geelong or west coast Astbury is a definite in and makes us stronger defensively - especially if you believe the mantra that big players win finals.

Port have Dixon and while I think the Lions lack experienced big players, Dave will still be important. Dave will show his value when we are really under the pump.

Reactions: 1 user

Crikey people forget very quickly.
DTLD is a gun. Far from finished.
How on earth do you draw that conclusion?

Reactions: 5 users
Astbury is in our best 22 with either Markov or Broad to go out of defence. We'd be far better with Dave back - provides options if a key forward ever does get on top of one of our key backs for a start. Against Hawkins this week, we have Balta and that's about it. Grimes is too light even if he does play. I suspect Geelong will throw an extra tall forward for exactly that reason - probably Jenkins.

Well it will have to be Broad AND Markov if both Astbury and Grimes are to come back. I'm a bit iffy on Astbury purely because he's been out for so long and I remember him last time taking quite a while to get his mojo back and clunk his marks after a long layoff. It's not clear cut to me, quite a conundrum.

bloody hell, have I shot bambi or something? :mhihi

I will lose my sh!t if Balta is dropped for the finals in favour of Astbury. Balta has been the mainstay fullback all year and deserves his spot. Plus he might want out if that occurs.

As for the future, I was just being pragmatic. If we can retain them all, that would be fantastic. But something will have to give if list sizes and the cap is reduced as we all expect.

Reactions: 2 users
If Astbury returns this year no way will they drop Balta. He is a potential match winner could even be a swingman alternating between back and forward. I like him at CHB running through the guts with his long bombs. XFactor with a capital.

Reactions: 6 users
If Astbury returns this year no way will they drop Balta. He is a potential match winner could even be a swingman alternating between back and forward. I like him at CHB running through the guts with his long bombs. XFactor with a capital.

I think balta becomes more dangerous if astbury comes back , frees him up to intercept and rebound more

Reactions: 8 users
Dave goes to the back pocket, Grimes FB, Broad BP or Wing or IC Balta CHB, Short Hb or HF, Baker Hb, Basha on the IC changing with Short. Broad, Short and Baker are still versatile and can be played in different positions