David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Yeah.
Pickett & McIntosh they should've been ice skaters, just pure grace down those wings.
Pity both can't hit a target by foot.
I think McIntosh has been fairly reliable taking a few bounces along the wing, lowering his eyes and hitting up half forwards on the lead.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah.
Pickett & McIntosh they should've been ice skaters, just pure grace down those wings.
Pity both can't hit a target by foot.

Reckon KMac has been kicking pretty well to targets even if he looks uncoordinated at times
On the other hand Marlion oozes class when he breaks free with the ball and then has a tendency to butcher the kick to a bloke in the clear. It’s frustrating at best.

But on Dave - I don’t like the notion of playing him forward. If he’s fit he’s our big man in the backline or not at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably just one of my ludicrous thoughts , however our biggest danger to winning the flag a lot would say is monsters in Hawkins and Dixon , I think DTLD should hit the Masashi shakes and some PBS in the weight room

Reactions: 1 user
Astbury has to play, and has to play down back. He is one of the best big backman in the league.
I do worry a little though that he may unsettle the defence a little. The role he plays best is the role Balta has played so well, and surely Markov will be the out, which will rob us of run and speed.
Those concerns aside I will back the back 7 of Astbury, Balta, Grimes, Vlastuin, Houli, Baker and Short to shut down any attack. (Broad must be the best "VFL" backman around by far.)

Even though the idea of dtld playing in the fwd is a good one, dimma and the mc stick to structures and keep the players in their positions.

we don't like to mix things up and keep it predictable and in a way it's why we are so good

while teams try to change in order to beat us we just double down on what we do and then do it even better

reckon caddy will replace lynch and chol soldo

the interesting question is who will make way for dtld because our 4 running backs has been working well

48 mins played, does anyone else think he will come in this week? I think he needs to but of course, depends on how he pulled up. Wouldnt want Dave and Dion both coming in at the same time for the first final.

Dave Astbury
“Played his first game since a knee injury in Round 4. He played the first half and looked good in the contest at times and controlled the backline as best he could. He took a couple of nice contested marks which was great, and it was good to see him back out on the park, although only being a half.”

48 mins played, does anyone else think he will come in this week? I think he needs to but of course, depends on how he pulled up. Wouldnt want Dave and Dion both coming in at the same time for the first final.

Dave Astbury
“Played his first game since a knee injury in Round 4. He played the first half and looked good in the contest at times and controlled the backline as best he could. He took a couple of nice contested marks which was great, and it was good to see him back out on the park, although only being a half.”
Risk.
Give him another match.
Play that and see how he pulls up.
Important player come finals

Who knows how Dimma & MC are thinking.

Risk.
Give him another match.
Play that and see how he pulls up.
Important player come finals

Who knows how Dimma & MC are thinking.

You may well be right. If he gets through a full game next week in the next scheduled scrimmage game then Dave could well be looked at for the first final.
I was just thinking would we bring in 2 players at the same time in a final who haven't played for 3 months.

"There are clearances and there are clearances."

Fair enough. But there are also CB massacres, and on the back of them Geelong, kicked three routine goals in the final quarter and it might have been four if Esava had nailed the last one. These CB goals are not anything a full back can stop. They are goals generated by midfielders.

And now Soldo is out. And that could mean fewer CB routine goals for us. And more for them.

Which means we need, more than ever, attack from the backline. We've all seen the improvement in Grimes's attack. His ball use aggression and execution are career-best. And he is our weakest user? Or has he passed Short?

Valstuin more aggressive than ever. Short is improving his contested and had two very good uses. Oleg runs towards goal and uses forward. (He can double back too.) Noah Balta's use is new-generation. Classes above. And Bachar has been working into form. Can break a line.

We have to generate attack from the back six because the middle six are out of form, or rusty, or undermanned.

Enter underdone Down the Line. Do we play him back and remove one of our runners? Our aggressive ball users?

We've been pushing rucks back. And maybe an underdone DTL can cover that need. Or are we playing DTL and Nank back? "Millions" in our backline?

We live in interesting times.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't think he plays DTLD gets in. Not off 48 mins when our backline balance is so good.

"There are clearances and there are clearances."

Fair enough. But there are also CB massacres, and on the back of them Geelong, kicked three routine goals in the final quarter and it might have been four if Esava had nailed the last one. These CB goals are not anything a full back can stop. They are goals generated by midfielders.

And now Soldo is out. And that could mean fewer CB routine goals for us. And more for them.

Which means we need, more than ever, attack from the backline. We've all seen the improvement in Grimes's attack. His ball use aggression and execution are career-best. And he is our weakest user? Or has he passed Short?

Valstuin more aggressive than ever. Short is improving his contested and had two very good uses. Oleg runs towards goal and uses forward. (He can double back too.) Noah Balta's use is new-generation. Classes above. And Bachar has been working into form. Can break a line.

We have to generate attack from the back six because the middle six are out of form, or rusty, or undermanned.

Enter underdone Down the Line. Do we play him back and remove one of our runners? Our aggressive ball users?

We've been pushing rucks back. And maybe an underdone DTL can cover that need. Or are we playing DTL and Nank back? "Millions" in our backline?

We live in interesting times.

How good is our defence going to be when DTLD comes back in.
Grimes - Astbury - Houli
Vlastuin - Balta - Baker.............Short/Broad/Markov??

Who's going to kick a winning score against that side.

It doesn't look out of place up against the 2017 Grand Final line up.
Broad - Rance - Grimes
Houli - Astbury - Vlastuin

I'm questioning DTL, tm. I'm saying we need to score from the back six attacking. That we are going to have to score through aggressive ball use from the back half. And that by definition DTL is incapable of that.

We've got Noah playing dominant (front position) and DTL will play sweeper. He'll press from behind and run both the opponent and Noah under the ball. He'll mark.

And go down the line. We're down a ruck.

Dave will double back when right.

Dear oh dear used to all so simple Tivendale Hyde Tivendale Hyde. Sometimes I Long for the old days.

• Haha
  • Angry
I'm questioning DTL, tm. I'm saying we need to score from the back six attacking. That we are going to have to score through aggressive ball use from the back half. And that by definition DTL is incapable of that.

We've got Noah playing dominant (front position) and DTL will play sweeper. He'll press from behind and run both the opponent and Noah under the ball. He'll mark.

And go down the line. We're down a ruck.

Dave will double back when right.
It's an interesting dilemma what our defence is going to look like come the first week of the finals.
We don't need all of "the back six attacking" to score JD, 5 will be enough:)
DTLD and Grimes on the last line, and Balta with his run and elite kicking at CHB is an enticing prospect. Pardon the pun , but could Balta be a tall version of Short?